U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:48 AM

7 posts, read 5,443 times

Advertisements

http://sweatpantsandcoffee.com/what-...p-culture/rey/

Quote:
Would your son want to play with an action figure of Rey, the central figure in the latest Star Wars film? Would your daughter? It’s too bad they don’t have the choice; Hasbro, among other toymakers, left out the one key female figure in their The Force Awakens game sets. Hasbro says it was to preserve plot secrets, but an industry insider said the choice was deliberate. The insider, who spoke to Sweatpants & Coffee on condition of anonymity, said the decision to exclude Rey was based on marketing assumptions and not for plot reasons.
Quote:
In January 2015, a number of toy and merchandise vendors descended on Lucasfilm’s Letterman Center in San Francisco. In a series of confidential meetings, the vendors presented their product ideas to tie in with the highly-anticipated new Star Wars film. Representatives presented, pitched, discussed, and agreed upon prototype products. The seeds of the controversies Lucasfilm is facing regarding the marketing and merchandising of The Force Awakens were sown in those meetings, according to the industry insider.

The insider, who was at those meetings, described how initial versions of many of the products presented to Lucasfilm featured Rey prominently. At first, discussions were positive, but as the meetings wore on, one or more individuals raised concerns about the presence of female characters in the Star Wars products. Eventually, the product vendors were specifically directed to exclude the Rey character from all Star Wars-related merchandise, said the insider.

“We know what sells,” the industry insider was told. “No boy wants to be given a product with a female character on it.”

Lucasfilm did not respond to requests for comment by press time.
Quote:
At the same time, however, it’s increasingly apparent that marketers’ perceptions are seriously out of touch with consumers’ tastes.

“Princess toy sales are in freefall. Disney can’t give away princess toys anymore,” according to the insider. And yet, the insider said, the directive is there: Maintain the sharp boy/girl product division. Marginalize girl characters in items not specifically marketed as girl-oriented.

The toy industry is more gender-divided now than at any time in the past 50 years, according to Elizabeth Sweet, a professor of sociology at the University of California at Davis. She’s a noted authority in the sociology of gender-based toy design and marketing. Analyses of historical toy catalogs show that in the 1970s more than half of toys were not designated as being specifically for one gender, whereas now, very few toys are marketed as gender-neutral, according to Sweet.

Marcotte points back to the deregulation of the advertising industry in the 1980s under Pres. Ronald Reagan as the origination point for the gender-division trend. “Once that happened, toy manufacturers realized they could increase sales by designing toys to be more narrowly targeted. Instead of having just a ball, you could make it pink and put a princess on it; or, paint it blue and put GI Joe on it. Now parents have to buy two sets of toys, one for their daughter and one for their son.”

But that long-term trend has had significant sociological impacts. “Girls and boys do not play together as much as they used to,” Marcotte said. “These gender divisions are hard-coded into their toys and it informs their behavior in ways that has lasting results on their presumptions.”

“I’ve spoken with Disney people, and they were completely blindsided by the reaction to the new Star Wars characters,” Marcotte went on to say. “They put a huge investment into marketing and merchandizing the Kylo Ren character. They presumed he would be the big breakout role from the film. They were completely surprised when it was Rey everyone identified with and wanted to see more of. Now they’re stuck with vast amounts of Kylo Ren product that is not moving, and a tidal wave of complaints about a lack of Rey items.”
What a load of BS! gl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 07:53 AM

12,116 posts, read 10,245,532 times
Can I use this to obtain my daily outrage (as prescribed by the world as needed daily)?

If so:

I'm outrageD!!!

Old 01-21-2016, 07:56 AM

11,053 posts, read 12,400,665 times
I try to get all my breaking news from sweatpantsandcoffee.com. Not sure if I should be outraged or not.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:58 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,784,635 times
Am I the only person who has never seen a Star Wars or Star Trek episode or movie?

Old 01-21-2016, 08:02 AM

5,613 posts, read 3,605,576 times
Looks like you're not the only one who feels this way. Check out the Amazon comments on this set of Force Awakens action figures:

Amazon.com: Star Wars The Force Awakens The Force Awakens Exclusive 11 Action Figure 6-Pack: Toys & Games

Never fear, though. A Rey action figure IS available -- sold separately, of course -- and she even comes with BB-8:

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Die-Cast...+action+figure

Old 01-21-2016, 08:02 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,230,061 times
"No boy would want a girl toy"? What a bunch of BS. They can speak for themselves. I have liked girls and women since I was six years old. I would have adored RAY.

I would have liked to have her on some of the raiding teams in 'Nam. That level of courage and sheer ferocity is very rare and very valuable. She could cover my stupidities in a firefight any day.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:03 AM

3,881 posts, read 1,509,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Am I the only person who has never seen a Star Wars or Star Trek episode or movie?
Hey! I thought I was the only one. We need a un-fan club or something.

Mahalo

Old 01-21-2016, 10:54 AM

7,954 posts, read 3,109,680 times
I the big mistake here is they left Han Solo out of the set.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:56 AM

9,195 posts, read 4,236,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Can I use this to obtain my daily outrage (as prescribed by the world as needed daily)?

If so:

I'm outrageD!!!
Well said.
Much to do about nothing.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:10 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,487,104 times
Pretty stupid, Rey was awesome but this is hardly he most pressing issue facing this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or