Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2016, 09:21 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Why not, you are already paying taxes so it can be given to NJ every time the houses (ALONG THE OCEAN) get flooded. No vacation house is worth replacing carpet drywall and appliances every time there iw a weather event but we bail them out every time....
As far as southern states are concerned you just need a salt pile that if it is never used can sit from year to year.
NJ shore towns are full of year round residents (and businesses) who do not live in ocean front properties and are affected by flooding.

I have no idea how many blocks inland this was, but apparently this was Sea Isle today:

https://www.facebook.com/tristatewea...21601/?theater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 09:30 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
As of 6:45 pm, over 27 inches in my town in NJ, and it's been going sonde and still isn't over. This is pretty big. Plows are getting stuck because it was coming down so hard they couldn't keep up.
Same here in my part of Central NJ. But the snow has been done for a few hours now.

Last time I saw a plow was around 4pm….and it got stuck in my cul-du-sac. Another plow was 2 minutes behind the first….. also got stuck. The second plow driver helped the first and then the first helped the second get "un-stuck". These were township DPW pick-up trucks fitted with plows, not the big guns.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:28 PM

7,647 posts, read 9,943,762 times
Wow! I had to work 16 hrs today. When I left last night the thread was on page one. LOL. page 12 and going strong.

Looks like I saw the news early in the storm. Well you all stay safe and warm back there.

It was 72 here in Arizona today, not a cloud in sight.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:42 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
We don't drive in it when its bad, have a whole house generator and are in our 60's.....You just have to use common sense and enjoy the beauty of it all!!!
Quote:
As far as southern states are concerned you just need a salt pile that if it is never used can sit from year to year.
Talk about a simplistic viewpoint. So all we need to do is somehow fix it so that everyone can afford a whole house generator and can take time off so they never have to drive when it snows? Oh, and in southern states they need some bigazz warehouses to store all those plows and salt piles that sit around with no other purpose for five or ten years. Duly noted.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:57 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,350,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I'm sorry I can't stand it anymore, I had to say something.

There's like three inches of snow and the whole northeast is paralyzed, declaring emergencies and freaking out. Planes are grounded, cities vacant. Stores shelves look like the day after the end of the world, people seem terrified to go outside, all I see on tv are empty streets.

They call it a Monster Storm? Where is it? CNN says they are activating the national guard.

Good lord out here in the west, when it snows we go skiing! We don't even look for the chains for less than ten inches. LOL.

OK, your turn. If anyone has survived this apocolyptic event with internet intact please let the rest of us know the truth so we can stop laughing at you if it is in fact unwarranted.

Please stay safe.
So we ended up with over two feet by me and crazy wind gusts. I am hoping tomorrow when I come outside my car is not completely plowed in---OY. I know it will be.

Sorry but it sounds like you are relying on media reports for what goes on around here. Most people I know do not have panic attacks and run around like maniacs. Most people just simply do what they are asked. When my husband and I went walking earlier, there were plenty of others just walking around and enjoying the day. (And even joggers.) There is a reason "things shut down." But then again, I'm sure you could put a better plan in place with 8+ million people trying to get around without snow tires, chains, plows, etc. There are tons of roads to be plowed and they just can't get to it all ASAP.

I can't even listen to the TV. I had it on for exactly two minutes before and I was done. I can't stand non-stop coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
I don't think hundreds of people trapped in their vehicles on the PA turnpike for 24 hours and counting, is anything to joke about.

I do question the intelligence of those who decided to get in their cars and drive when they had been warned not to. In spite of the huge media attention people still do stupid things.

I grew up in CT and am comfortable driving in the snow. I drive an AWD vehicle. We only got about 5 inches in Pittsburgh. I still had the good sense to stay home off the roads and let the road crews do their job instead of being out there in their way.

The media hype all morning provided plenty of entertainment. If you don't care for that sort of thing why not just change the channel or turn off the TV and go outdoors instead of moaning about it on line.
So the reason they shut everything down is exactly what you mentioned. I remember, less than ten years ago, we had a big storm. They were not able to clear the snow as it was coming down and when my husband walked around the next day, there were cars literally just stuck everywhere. People just driving on the streets completely abandoned their cars when they got stuck. Then they had to spend the next day towing those people because they couldn't get plows through. As the person above doesn't realize, things like that are what immobilize the city. Then I remember maybe two years ago people did the same thing on the highway/expressway. Now they just say, "Travel ban until 7 AM." But, it kind of sucks, because they shut down the buses and any trains that go outside---very hard for people who have to work in a 24/7 kind of place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Exactly - the media is in the hype business in their never ending drive to get ratings.......they cause the impressionable and those without common sense to panic and raid every food store shelf and increase home improvement stores profit lines anytime a "snow catastrophe event" seems likely. Really....has anyone in the NY metro area (or any metro area) not been able to get back on the road in a day or so after even a major snowstorm???? But every time those who let the media hype brainwash them all run and stock up like they'll be stranded on a deserted island for a month......I'm sure the stores are super happy that they can sell out and rotate stock with no expired turnaround.

Then every NY channel has reporters "in the field" ...needlessly driving around (btw while telling everyone the roads are too dangerous so no one should be out driving....guess they don't get the irony) and stick with round the clock coverage repeating everything over and over for hours straight....we get it......it's gonna snow a lot...travel is dangerous....stay home if you can. Only thing really needed is a weather/travel/traffic update every hour and any special news.....but they play it out to keep people glued to the tv and to compete with other stations for viewers and continue the hype.
Yeah, I know. That's how it usually is. I saw someone having a pack of toilet paper and a pack of paper towels being delivered right before they were shutting the roads down. And I'm thinking to myself, I know this guy works M-F because I see him leave for work in the morning. So by the next day he was going to have nothing?

My only issue is because of my job, I was supposed to be at work. But because the roads have been shut down since 2:30 PM and my work doesn't start until 11:00 PM, I couldn't go. So someone had to stay for me and tomorrow I have to go and work a double for both her shift and my shift. It gets tricky when you HAVE to go to work.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:28 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Talk about media hype. CNN had some guy standing in snow up to his butt doing his report. When they panned out you could see he was next to the street curb. He was standing in the pile of plowed snow. Like 24" wasn't enough for him, he had to embellish it to 36" or whatever.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:42 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,596,028 times
^^^^

This is just another example of over reporting about events that occur on the East Coast.

Major weather events occur everywhere in America, but they rarely get much air time. This time around, though, the major media outlets in NYC and DC just have to step out of their doors to get a story, so they're milking it for all they're worth.

Boo hoo, East Coasters! No one cares.

Get your shovels out and get to work, just as the rest of us do on a daily basis in the wintertime.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:38 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
way to be a feeling human being.
I applied to a job at Crater Lake Oregon. THEN I read they get 40 FEET of snow each year. Oh HAIL no!

Old 01-24-2016, 02:16 AM

381 posts, read 277,238 times
I'm sitting watching the pictures and i'm amazed the number of bozos still driving around in prius yellow cabs.Can these guys not just stop for a couple of days to keep the roads clear.Do they need the money that bad that they would risk life and limb(and anybody foolish enough to be in the cab).It would be bad enough in 4X4 never mind a hybrid.I see de blasio in n.y. has ordered a traffic ban so the ploughs can get the clearing done..he should have done that before/during the snowstorm.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
I've noticed that NY while it clears the roads with plows it doesnt actually remove the snow with snow blowers and dump trucks.Or am i just missing this aspect of the snow clearing operation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lsYn-5dV1o

I'm also seeing no sidewalk snow clearing equipment ,it seems that job is left to individual property owners to take care of cleaning the snow from in front of their properties=
http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...1433353676500/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events