Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 08:41 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times

Advertisements

Well, I give huge props to anyone that actually lives in the area most affected by the storm and doesn't think it's significant. I've got drifts at both the front and back doors that are higher than the storm door bottom. At the front of the house, the total height of the snow is the same from my second step all the way across the street. Since I'm in the semi-boonies, I really don't expect to see a snow plow until possibly tomorrow, or even Tuesday, since I'm on a cross street. I'm 65 and live alone with no relatives in the area; many of my neighbors are even older and more inform, lol. With a bum shoulder, I can only shovel but so much snow, and the yard guy who will eventually shovel out the vehicles can't even GET to my house today because the street has over a foot and a half of snow with higher drifts. I'm just SO grateful the power didn't fail, even though I have a whole-house generator (the propane level is only at around 50%). There are NO stores open around here, and I wouldn't be able to reach then anyway if I hadn't stocked up beforehand. It would even be difficult for the fire trucks to get here. Yeah, I tell you - this whole blizzard is really a hoot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 08:42 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
3 inches? Try 3 feet at least!
Oh my word! I know what that looks like. You have my sympathy on the great dig out to come.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:19 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
. Hop a flight and you can come and see for yourself....... !
Thank you for your generous offer, but I don't need to fly to Baltimore to see snow. We just had two feet of snow at my house. I don't blame you for not knowing that because no national weathermen came to stand in our snow drifts. No one covered it at all except for the small local TV station.

No one rushed out to empty the stores of bread and milk. Life just went on as usual.

I am amazed that the people who see that making fun of newscasters is exactly the same as having multiple houses burn to the ground. Actually, I think it is a hoot, but very sad for our country.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:26 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Thank you for your generous offer, but I don't need to fly to Baltimore to see snow. We just had two feet of snow at my house. I don't blame you for not knowing that because no national weathermen came to stand in our snow drifts. No one covered it at all except for the small local TV station.

No one rushed out to empty the stores of bread and milk. Life just went on as usual.

I am amazed that the people who see that making fun of newscasters is exactly the same as having multiple houses burn to the ground. Actually, I think it is a hoot, but very sad for our country.
You must not live in a large, dense, important metro area then like the whole Bos-Wash corridor is. There are places here in the Northeast that regularly get a ton of snow (Vermont, mountains of NH, upstate NY, parts of PA) but no one really hears about it either because they're further away from the major cities and in far less dense areas.

It's not just you guys in other areas of the country who are special. People right here in the Northeast are just as special as you.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:27 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
Snow total exceeds 30 inches in the Dulles Airport area. From my experience, this is worse than the 1996 snow that totaled 24.6 inches. The plows are having trouble finding enough places to pile the snow. For a storm of this magnitude, it took only about 24-32 hours which made it hard for the main roads to be plowed and for the plowing companies to reach the residential roads. The storm probably exceeded expectations and the media 'hype'. Tomorrow will be a day off.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:53 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,042 times
As for that 3inches? The Township's public works guy just showed up with a Bobcat and is struggling to figure out how to get rid of our 4ft drifts. I think that some folks forget there are many streets that are no wider than they were when they were built in the 17th century. Some are so narrow, like mine, that they are just wide enough for a Bobcat to pass through. There is no where to push the snow so the snow has to be loaded on to dump trucks and carted away.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:11 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

Yes because it was a big surprise the snow was coming.

The mayor is a drama queen. "Shelter in place" defined from the CDC:
"Shelter-in-place" means to take immediate shelter where you are—at home, work, school, or in between. It may also mean "seal the room;" in other words, take steps to prevent outside air from coming in. This is because local authorities may instruct you to "shelter-in-place" if chemical or radiological contaminants are released into the environment. It is important to listen to TV or radio to understand whether the authorities wish you to merely remain indoors or to take additional steps to protect yourself and your family.

CDC Emergency Preparedness and You | Learn How to Shelter in Place

Do you really think it was appropriate for the Mayor to use this term? Wouldn't it have been better to say "Don't travel", or "Stay home"? It's a snowstorm for goodness sake, not a Chemical or Biological attack.
Wasn't a surprise. Some people chose to travel anyway and got stuck.
They would have been better off staying where they were rather than trying to get home/somewhere else.
Telling people to shelter in place was completely appropriate.

Snowstorm Strands Students on Bus for Over 20 Hours on Pennsylvania Highway - NBC News

Old 01-24-2016, 10:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Latest reports say over 10,000 flights have been impacted.
People stranded all over the country as a result.

Between clean-up, lost wages, etc. financial fallout will be in the billions.

Blizzard 2016: 10,000 flight cancellations and counting

But hey, nothing to report here.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:45 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Latest reports say over 10,000 flights have been impacted.
People stranded all over the country as a result.

Between clean-up, lost wages, etc. financial fallout will be in the billions.

Blizzard 2016: 10,000 flight cancellations and counting

But hey, nothing to report here.
The flight cancellations are another good reason that those of us outside the east coast need to pay attention. The impact of this storm is far-reaching. While other parts of the country certainly do have far bigger storms than this one, the effect on the rest of the country of a massive dump of snow in rural Oregon or Montana really does not have the same effect on the nation as a whole. Whether we want to admit it or not, what happens on the east coast does affect flyover country.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:06 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
^^^^

This is just another example of over reporting about events that occur on the East Coast.

Major weather events occur everywhere in America, but they rarely get much air time. This time around, though, the major media outlets in NYC and DC just have to step out of their doors to get a story, so they're milking it for all they're worth.

Boo hoo, East Coasters! No one cares.

Get your shovels out and get to work, just as the rest of us do on a daily basis in the wintertime.

This storm affected over 85 million people. That is more than a quarter of the population of the U.S. With 24 hour news if you watch it or listen to it you are bound to hear about big things that happen outside of your area.

You hear about our storm and we hear about mudslides, wildfires and droughts out west. Turn it off if it bothers you this much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events