Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:03 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times

Advertisements

In Charlotte, it has little to do with removal capability or media hype. When we get snow it is not so bad. The problems really come about when we see the ice. Driving in Colorado snow is nothing like a short trip on Carolina Ice (should be a beer name). It looks like snow, and in some cases, feels like snow under your feet. When you hit the road and find a sheet of ice, bad things happen fast. I witnessed that a few times yesterday while out and about. I had to go into work for a bit.

As far as buying more snow removal equipment, not likely to help. Plows do nothing for ice. Brine makes it worse, it seems (but NCDOT loves the stuff). NCHP has responded to over 2000 traffic incidents since Friday morning. I'd go out on a limb and guess many of those incidents were because someone who thought they can drive on snow got a crash course in driving on ice. It just isn't the same no matter how good of a driver you think you are.

Factor in possible power outages from ice accumulation and you have something to be worried about. We are in the right place for nasty results of what is just a snowstorm up north or a rain storm further south.

Now, cleaning out all of the bread and milk in a grocery store? I don't get that. I get my beer, meat, snacks and all the other necessary junk food to get me through the next day or two. I guess lots of people like milk sandwiches or something. Bread soup, perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 10:24 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Hot chocolate. Grilled cheese sandwiches. I bet all the Campbell's tomato soup is gone, too.

It's funny, but the first thing I do when a big storm is expected is start baking a couples loaves of bread and check that I have some canned tomatoes to make tomato soup or chili. Makes me feel more in control, I guess.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:36 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,248,190 times
Where there is so much snow it would take a nuclear weapon to melt it, it gives you an excuse to stay home and relax. It only becomes Armageddon when you actually do melt it that way.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:39 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,281,907 times
Looks like a monster and historic storm to me. Southern NJ has flooding worse than Sandy. Expecting 3' or more in some areas that are now getting blitzed. As a matter of fact, I think the forecasters have been pretty accurate on this one. And, with any potential huge storm, people should err on the side of caution. Big deal if it messes up your plans. If you become one of the idiots who gets stuck because they didn't listen, you put others and first responders in danger.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:45 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Looks like a monster and historic storm to me. Southern NJ has flooding worse than Sandy. Expecting 3' or more in some areas that are now getting blitzed. As a matter of fact, I think the forecasters have been pretty accurate on this one. And, with any potential huge storm, people should err on the side of caution. Big deal if it messes up your plans. If you become one of the idiots who gets stuck because they didn't listen, you put others and first responders in danger.
They recently upped snow totals for the NYC area again. Up to two feet now. NYC just issued a travel ban. My town issued a travel ban - we can't be on roads. Apparently the issues are 1. the snow is coming down so fast and 2. when the wind blows, it's near whiteout conditions. It's definitely a blizzard because of how the drifts are forming. You should see the cars in my driveway now. Snow sticking off of one side a good foot and basically clear on the other. There are idiots who are stuck on Parkway entrance ramps and local roads. News showed a line of cars digging themselves out approaching the Parkway.

Flooding in South Jersey is worse than Sandy already, like you said, apparently 6 inches higher, and the worst of that is to come tonight. But honestly Cape May County didn't get it too bad in Sandy. I wonder if the surge will be worse than Sandy in Ocean County, which was hit hardest - Ortley, Mantoloking, Bay Head, parts of LBI. I saw a video on JSHN (Jersey Shore Hurricane News) from Ortley, erosion is bad already and a home looks like it's about to fall in. We'll see what happens.

The first thing Ortley Beach should have done after Sandy was build dunes, since they didn't have them before. Residents are complaining that the governor isn't doing enough but you know what, dunes should have been there since late 2012. I have little sympathy for towns that won't build dunes. Mantoloking included. They were scrambling to construct some dunes in the last few days, knowing this was coming.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:58 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
It's a great source of amusement in my house, to watch the national news and hear all the doom and gloom by a spokes person standing in the snow where you can still see black pavement and the blades of grass are sticking up out of the snow.

Last night a newscaster was standing in a snow drift that came halfway up his calf telling us that snow was knee deep in the area. He probably had to walk for blocks to find snow that deep.

All the tires spinning and cars being pushed on what looks basically like bare pavement, get shouts of "buy some tires, you idiot"

Honest to God, you'd think two inches of snow was the end of the world. But on the plus side, it makes for some comic relief around here.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:01 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,027,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
They recently upped snow totals for the NYC area again. Up to two feet now. NYC just issued a travel ban. My town issued a travel ban - we can't be on roads. Apparently the issues are 1. the snow is coming down so fast and 2. when the wind blows, it's near whiteout conditions. It's definitely a blizzard because of how the drifts are forming. You should see the cars in my driveway now. Snow sticking off of one side a good foot and basically clear on the other. There are idiots who are stuck on Parkway entrance ramps and local roads. News showed a line of cars digging themselves out approaching the Parkway.

Flooding in South Jersey is worse than Sandy already, like you said, apparently 6 inches higher, and the worst of that is to come tonight. But honestly Cape May County didn't get it too bad in Sandy. I wonder if the surge will be worse than Sandy in Ocean County, which was hit hardest - Ortley, Mantoloking, Bay Head, parts of LBI. I saw a video on JSHN (Jersey Shore Hurricane News) from Ortley, erosion is bad already and a home looks like it's about to fall in. We'll see what happens.

The first thing Ortley Beach should have done after Sandy was build dunes, since they didn't have them before. Residents are complaining that the governor isn't doing enough but you know what, dunes should have been there since late 2012. I have little sympathy for towns that won't build dunes. Mantoloking included. They were scrambling to construct some dunes in the last few days, knowing this was coming.
Who ends up paying for the dunes? Local residents or the entire state's taxpayers?

Old 01-23-2016, 11:04 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
"Shelter in place" means, wherever you are, stay there and do not try to drive.

Not everyone is 'home' when a snowstorm hits.

I'm laughing, too, but not at the mayor!
Yes because it was a big surprise the snow was coming.

The mayor is a drama queen. "Shelter in place" defined from the CDC:
"Shelter-in-place" means to take immediate shelter where you are—at home, work, school, or in between. It may also mean "seal the room;" in other words, take steps to prevent outside air from coming in. This is because local authorities may instruct you to "shelter-in-place" if chemical or radiological contaminants are released into the environment. It is important to listen to TV or radio to understand whether the authorities wish you to merely remain indoors or to take additional steps to protect yourself and your family.

http://emergency.cdc.gov/preparedness/shelter/

Do you really think it was appropriate for the Mayor to use this term? Wouldn't it have been better to say "Don't travel", or "Stay home"? It's a snowstorm for goodness sake, not a Chemical or Biological attack.

Last edited by Wartrace; 01-23-2016 at 11:15 AM..

Old 01-23-2016, 11:04 AM

10,225 posts, read 6,312,506 times
We got stuck about 5 years ago right before Christmas driving up from Florida to NY; Northern Virginia about 20 miles outside of DC. That area is not used to snow? I-95 was not plowed. There must have been at least 8 inches on the road. Big Wheelers were stuck on the highway blocking traffic. It took us over an hour to get to the nearest exit. No rooms at the hotels, so we parked at a gas station and spent the night in our car; along with a whole lot of other stranded drivers. The owner gave out free hot coffee to everyone there. I think the name of the town was Ladysmith?

When we finally got to DC very early the next morning, you almost would never know what happened just a short distance away. All the roads were nicely plowed. Same for the roads in New Jersey too. They must have had crews out overnight on the roads to have it cleared that fast. I believe the final totals for that year were well over a foot of snow.

BTW, we are moving out of Florida and back NORTH.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:06 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
I vote on hype. It's bad, but not the end of the world. I watched the news today and they said snowfall total at white house was 13 inches, hardly the "2 to 3 feet" that was forecasted.
Part of the hype of course is that this is a vary populated part of the country. TV news sells lots of soap by hyping up any storm.

Latest report "Northeast Blizzard not as bad as expected"
http://news.yahoo.com/video/northeas...BfMQRzZWMDc3I-

It's like the hurricane coverage where the media all fight to stand beside the one single house that was damaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events