Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 09:40 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,342,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Box of General Mills Rice Chex at Walmart: 3.98, same box at Safeway 6.39
Can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup at Walmart 1.29, same can at Safeway 2.29

No difference in quality of product, same jobs by same manufacturer, didn't see any bullies, this is not a small town comparison.

If you can afford the luxury of shopping at the nice shiny supermarket, good for you. You shouldn't pass judgment on those who do not have that luxury. Walmart is filling a need in the market place, and are pretty darn good at it. And they will open more stores in the US this year than they close.
Ought to look at a docu called "The High Cost of a Low Price".
Also there are dollar stores, all sorts of other places to shop. I hate it when people act like its "snobbery" or you must be rich. Trust me, I am DEFINITELY poorer than you. And I haven't shopped at a Walmart in over a decade, because to do so, is basically putting a knife in the guts of American workers.

But some people don't really think it through, I guess....they'd rather blame the "mexicans'.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:44 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,342,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
The average person who hates WalMart is someone who doesn't need to save money.
THAT IS A LOAD OF CRAP.

I am so poor I don't even own a car. I am a student, but an older student. I live on nearly nothing. And I still don't shop at Walmart.

I hate these arguments, they are for the hard of thinking. You people would support Hitler if you could buy a cheap toaster from him, you honestly would. So much for "family values"

Old 01-27-2016, 09:58 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,045,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
THAT IS A LOAD OF CRAP.

I am so poor I don't even own a car. I am a student, but an older student. I live on nearly nothing. And I still don't shop at Walmart.

I hate these arguments, they are for the hard of thinking. You people would support Hitler if you could buy a cheap toaster from him, you honestly would. So much for "family values"
I said the average person who hates WalMart not all.
How do you know what I would buy from Hitler? That kind of statement makes me wonder if you have the ability to watch a documentary like the High Cost of Low Prices with a critical eye.

Rather than expect people to watch a long video why don't you bring out some facts from it for people to consider.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:13 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,136,404 times
Walmart has a history . . . a long history.

60 Minutes warned us:

Wal-Mart forced workers to clock out and work for free:

Suits Say Wal-Mart Forces Workers to Toil Off the Clock - The New York Times

Wal-Mart hired illegal aliens to work in their stores:

Wal-Mart Settles Illegal Immigrant Case for $11M

Old 01-28-2016, 04:56 AM

16,826 posts, read 15,065,498 times
Quote:
I said the average person who hates WalMart not all.
How do you know what I would buy from Hitler? That kind of statement makes me wonder if you have the ability to watch a documentary like the High Cost of Low Prices with a critical eye.

Rather than expect people to watch a long video why don't you bring out some facts from it for people to consider.
Um... No

I can save more money on the typical items I buy by shopping at a variety of stores other than Wal-Mart. The ONLY item I save significant and justifiable amount of money on from Wal-Mart is synthetic motor oil. Actually, I bought my last TV from there too, but those are not everyday (nor every week, or every month) purchases. Hence, you might find me in there twice a year.

Wal-Mart is mainly popular because it's convenient (everything is in there) and because CERTAIN POPULAR ITEMS are cheap; mainly pre-packaged goods.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:00 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,676,412 times
Quote:
I said the average person who hates...
I'm an average person, and I need to save money. Buying c*r*a*p from Walmart doesn't save money.

Case in point: I did have to buy something there a few months ago, because I was on the way somplace, and needed something I'd forgotten. Was drinvin through a small town, so wallyworld was the only choice (y'know, since walmart had driven out any other potential store I could stop at). Bought some dish towels (yeah, not what most people would call an emergency, but needed for the purpose of my trip). When I got back home, I washed the ones I had used. Compared to the still unwashed ones... they had shrank about 25%, got all warped out of square, and the color in them ran so much that they faded from red to pink.

On the video, you can't invest a little time to watch the video for yourself, and want someone else to digest it for you? Second hand information is ok with you? Then, you7 should accept that those who have watched the video believe that walmart is not the great deal that you think it is.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:16 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,858,975 times
Walmart indeed has lower prices, that's why we shop there. I don't run the world and have no control over who puts stores where. I look out for me, manage my money, feed my family, and save for a rainy day, to take care of my family. That's part of my responsibility. I don't have such a huge ego to think the whole world should bow to my will. As for evil and heros, there are no such things in business. Just people trying to make money and make a living. As long as they operate in compliance with the law, that's all I or anyone should worry about.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:24 AM

50,309 posts, read 35,932,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Walmart indeed has lower prices, that's why we shop there. I don't run the world and have no control over who puts stores where. I look out for me, manage my money, feed my family, and save for a rainy day, to take care of my family. That's part of my responsibility. I don't have such a huge ego to think the whole world should bow to my will. As for evil and heros, there are no such things in business. Just people trying to make money and make a living. As long as they operate in compliance with the law, that's all I or anyone should worry about.
In these rural towns though, Walmart has destroyed them. The people they interviewed had to shutter their own long-held businesses only a couple f years ago when Walmart came into their town, now they are leaving. In many of these towns, the local pharmacy and supermarket were run out of business, and now people have to drive 40 miles to the nearest pharmacy.

These people probably thought as you did and welcomed Walmart when they came to town, but now it was clear it was to their detriment.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:06 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,655,075 times
I really wish all the Walmart stores in the US would close. Terrible customer service, low quality made in China crap and they treat their employees awful.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:11 AM

50,107 posts, read 46,689,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I really wish all the Walmart stores in the US would close. Terrible customer service, low quality made in China crap and they treat their employees awful.
Do you shop at Target?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events