Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:11 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
How does he carry on with life after this incident? My God!!!!!! RIP to the wife and kid. I hope he finds the strength to overcome this great loss
THIS
If I directly or indirectly caused the death of one of my children, that would be end game...especially if I ONLY had one kid and no others left to depend on my

I couldn't go on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 10:23 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,284,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
THIS
If I directly or indirectly caused the death of one of my children, that would be end game...especially if I ONLY had one kid and no others left to depend on my

I couldn't go on...
I can't imagine what I'd do in that scenario but I think I'll go to mental institution as I won't be stable at all.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:25 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,805,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What I don't get is didn't he notice that his wife and kid were passed out in the car as he was moving around them? Do you die that quickly from carbon monoxide? I thought it took a while, but I really don't know.
Cars are a small enough enclosed space that it doesn't take long at all. In this case they were in the car less than 10 minutes.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:44 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,922,881 times
Quote:
What I don't get is didn't he notice that his wife and kid were passed out in the car as he was moving around them? Do you die that quickly from carbon monoxide? I thought it took a while, but I really don't know.

It could happen very quickly, especially in a small enclosed space.

My family survived carbon monoxide poisoning about 17 years ago. It was an experience I will never forget, especially every new years eve. The event was like a flash to me. I had arranged my friend to drive me to new years party. I left the house waiting for my friend to come pick me up. For some strange reason, I decided I was not going and told my friend I didn't think I was feeling well so he left(maybe the poisoning had started in the house for some time). By the time I came back in the house, members of my family were passing out and vomiting. They were taken by ambulance and I drove myself to the hospital. There I was tested me as well and confirmed I was poison as well. We were all taking by helicopter to a big hospital to get treated.

Remember, it's an odorless gas so it's not like someone is choking you until the end.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:01 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Cars are a small enough enclosed space that it doesn't take long at all. In this case they were in the car less than 10 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
It could happen very quickly, especially in a small enclosed space.

My family survived carbon monoxide poisoning about 17 years ago. It was an experience I will never forget, especially every new years eve. The event was like a flash to me. I had arranged my friend to drive me to new years party. I left the house waiting for my friend to come pick me up. For some strange reason, I decided I was not going and told my friend I didn't think I was feeling well so he left(maybe the poisoning had started in the house for some time). By the time I came back in the house, members of my family were passing out and vomiting. They were taken by ambulance and I drove myself to the hospital. There I was tested me as well and confirmed I was poison as well. We were all taking by helicopter to a big hospital to get treated.

Remember, it's an odorless gas so it's not like someone is choking you until the end.
Thanks. I didn't realize it happens that quickly. Very scary.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:20 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,500,891 times
Quote:
Thanks. I didn't realize it happens that quickly. Very scary.
If I remember correctly cars can produce close to 100,000ppm CO before CAT and after CAT levels go down to 1000PPM or so. Now if CAT is not warm (startup) or not enough oxygen (enclosed space), level of CO may be much higher. And at about 5000 PPM death occurs within a few minutes like withing 2 minutes or so. So really VERY VERY dangerous.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
The little girl died. New Jersey Girl, 3, Dies After Being Found in CO-Filled Car After Storm | NBC New York

Old 01-27-2016, 04:09 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,284,368 times
Horrible...

Old 01-27-2016, 04:48 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
If I remember correctly cars can produce close to 100,000ppm CO before CAT and after CAT levels go down to 1000PPM or so. Now if CAT is not warm (startup) or not enough oxygen (enclosed space), level of CO may be much higher. And at about 5000 PPM death occurs within a few minutes like withing 2 minutes or so. So really VERY VERY dangerous.
There was actually a story on 20/20 about people who somehow pushed their auto car starter while their car was in a garage directly under the bedroom, and it killed them.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:08 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,150 times
Quote:
death from carbon monoxide may take up to several minutes...

but most of it depends on length of time of exposure and if there is a concomitant fire involved.

more or less, many are brought to the ER before they actually die...once there, we can perform tons of interventions to help them out. but most people die at home very short after exposure..

most carbon monoxide deaths we see are in the winter time, not surprisingly. what a horrible story...God bless that poor mommy and her sweet innocent baby girl... and this poor husband who has lost his family

Last edited by erjunkee; 01-27-2016 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events