Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 02:55 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,905,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
I am a product of the 60's and early 70's when "demonstrations and protests" we're a daily occurrence ....I was one of those guys "spit on"...by some delusional scum bag that had classified every veteran as a "baby killer".

We now fast forward ahead 40 plus years...now the "protestors" have decided that their only viable option is "arming up" and waging some delusional battle. And why, some ask,has today's youth gone straight to hell. In a world of social media and instant news, these radical factions are playing to an audience, fueled by a media only to willing to "break a headline".

Notice how quick the stragglers in Oregon started whining when the media was informed that their individual safety could now longer be insured. Now the original instigator wants to "just go home"...if home meant that much, maybe he should have stayed there.

The stragglers, now having lost the majority of their "mob mentality" now just want to "go home"....consequences suck...but that's the way it works...they can "negotiate" in a court of law...it's called a plea bargain ...
I'm not sure what this group was out to accomplish? The Sagebrush Rebellion was a movement during the 1970s and 1980s that seemed to have similar objectives. President Reagan claimed to be a supporter of the movement.

A confluence of factors perhaps convinced this group the time was ripe for their message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 03:33 PM

3,641 posts, read 3,769,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
The folks whose interests are recreation, mining, timber, research, livestock, etc. are not being served by the militia still occupying Malheur.
I sure agree with that.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:47 PM

792 posts, read 1,299,753 times
I fully agree that this current situation is a confluence of factors. People over time suddenly discover that elected officials may not be totally forthcoming...then there was a major economic downturn which only further infuriated the masses. This in part explains Mr. Trump's popularity. I am sure, just like you probably get very tired of the same political rhetoric and along comes a "new outside voice" for the people. I get that part...we are currently living in times like no other...The world has changed, and unfortunately there will always be opportunistic people seeking to prey on others weakness and general disgust for "the system".....Most rational people tend to live within accepted parameters, key word "rational".

I recall the incident in Nevada back in 2014, where individuals with absolutely no clue what the issue was, or alleged to be, were only to quick to grab their cooler, kids and AR-15 to be part of something bigger than life itself. Several did not even know what State, Bundy's ranch was in !

If you wasted your time watching any of the home grown u tube videos, the bleached blonde had to actually grab the Constitutional pocket guide from one of her cohorts, to then read and interpret her highly intellectual undebatable understanding. By this point in time they should have it memorized !

I fully respect any individual's right to peacefully protest...however when the line gets crossed, and innocent people suddenly get thrust into the position of "victim"...Its time to call it a day.

This before occurred in 2014 when two respected law enforcement officers were literally assassinated in Las Vegas, after two of Bundy's radical off shoots, decided to "take their war to town"....also included was one innocent civilian. Bundy then tried to distance himself from that incident, as his son or sons are trying to do now. Master manipulators for the unstable, weak minded....nothing more...nothing less !

Old 01-31-2016, 04:44 PM

51,620 posts, read 25,708,389 times
There are some damn independent thinking people at that Bird Sanctuary.

As I write this, four are still holed up and refusing to leave until everybody is pardoned.

That’s unlikely to happen.

Judge has ruled that the brain trust for this whole operation will stay locked up until the standoff is over. Which is wise.

Bundy is pleading with the four holdouts to leave, please leave.

I can just imagine what is going through their minds.

“Not so fast. Sounds like a trick to me. Isn’t Bundy in jail because they tricked him into thinking they could have safe passage when and where and now look at them. Locked up like animals. I’m staying right here. I bet they forced him to say that.”

Tell me I'm wrong.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-31-2016 at 05:33 PM..

Old 01-31-2016, 05:42 PM

19,712 posts, read 10,064,400 times
He wants a chance at bond. He may get that when the rest give up.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:42 AM

34,776 posts, read 16,797,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Again we differ. The totality of the situation is that the cops wanted to take this guy out, and they did.
What do they expect will happen when they forcibly occupy land they don't own? A birthday cake?

Old 02-01-2016, 08:14 AM

51,620 posts, read 25,708,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
The totality of the situation is that the cops wanted to take this guy out, and they did.
This is simply not accurate. The cops did everything they could not to take this guy, or any of the other guys, out.

They waited several weeks for them to come to their senses.

They arranged to take the leaders into custody in a way that was least likely to cause bloodshed.

I'm not sure what else they could have done, short of letting them turn a federal facility into their headquarters for the next few years.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:17 AM

658 posts, read 1,141,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This is simply not accurate. The cops did everything they could not to take this guy, or any of the other guys, out.

They waited several weeks for them to come to their senses.

They arranged to take the leaders into custody in a way that was least likely to cause bloodshed.

I'm not sure what else they could have done, short of letting them turn a federal facility into their headquarters for the next few years.

Remember this famous photo from a few years ago? You know where this clown is pointing a gun at federal LEO's?
They didn't gun him down wantonly, even though they could have. The supposed big bad government they rail against shows them every possible bit of leeway post 90s debacles.

Aside- what kind of idiot thinks this is an advantageous firing line/position? He has about a .5 degree horizontal range of target.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:35 AM

42,785 posts, read 26,110,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOCola View Post
Remember this famous photo from a few years ago? You know where this clown is pointing a gun at federal LEO's? They didn't gun him down wantonly, even though they could have. The supposed big bad government they rail against shows them every possible bit of leeway post 90s debacles. Aside- what kind of idiot thinks this is an advantageous firing line/position? He has about a .5 degree horizontal range of target.
That's just silly, that photo of Eric Parker was not taken by a federal agent, nor is there any evidence that any law enforcement personnel witnessed that, if they had I would expect that Parker would have been apprehended or shot. On the other hand Finicum reached for his gun 3 times before he was shot, IMO that shows a good deal of restraint on the part of law enforcement. I don't think I would have waited as long as they did to shoot him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhgOIiF0HY4

Old 02-01-2016, 09:48 AM

42,785 posts, read 26,110,472 times
"Four of the Oregon occupiers remain holed up in the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge and are now claiming that the FBI is cutting them off from the outside world by blocking their phone calls and shutting off Internet service.

The four previously indicated they would surrender if they were pardoned, along with the everyone else taken into custody for the four week occupation of the national park.
“That’s our current demand. Everybody’s got to be pardoned. We all gotta go free. We all get to go home. Other than that, (we) don’t know what’s going to happen next,” Fry said"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events