Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:24 PM

10,179 posts, read 6,223,702 times

Advertisements

Katrina, I got another one of my great "folk" remedies. Worked great for ticks and Lyme disease. Have you got a vaccine YET for that? We used this one too back when. Everyone probably has this "vaccine" right in your own home. It's called long sleeves, long pants with your socks pulled over them. Might just work to prevent mosquito bites too. Can a mosquito bite through a sweatshirt or jeans? They probably prefer the taste of human skin to cloth anyway.

Oh, so many, many diseases and so few vaccines for prevention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 07:55 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Katrina, I got another one of my great "folk" remedies. Worked great for ticks and Lyme disease. Have you got a vaccine YET for that? We used this one too back when. Everyone probably has this "vaccine" right in your own home. It's called long sleeves, long pants with your socks pulled over them. Might just work to prevent mosquito bites too. Can a mosquito bite through a sweatshirt or jeans? They probably prefer the taste of human skin to cloth anyway.

Would you please use my correct name next time?

No, the Lyme Disease vaccine was taken off the market. I don't know much more about that because we don't have Lyme Disease out here in Colorado, so it wasn't being used here. Certainly wearing long pants, etc is part of mosquito bite protection. Probably more effective than Skin So Soft.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:06 PM

36,962 posts, read 40,892,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Would you please use my correct name next time?

No, the Lyme Disease vaccine was taken off the market. I don't know much more about that because we don't have Lyme Disease out here in Colorado, so it wasn't being used here. Certainly wearing long pants, etc is part of mosquito bite protection. Probably more effective than Skin So Soft.
The manufacturer discontinued the Lyme vaccine due to lack of demand.

Lyme disease vaccine | Lyme Disease | CDC

Old 02-04-2016, 09:56 AM

52,222 posts, read 33,917,037 times
only a matter of time before this happened:

Brazil confirms Zika infection from a blood transfusion | Reuters

Old 02-04-2016, 11:30 AM

10,179 posts, read 6,223,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
only a matter of time before this happened:

Brazil confirms Zika infection from a blood transfusion | Reuters
Happened with HIV in past. Exchange of body fluids, as with that one case infected through sex.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,875,513 times
Since this virus only stays in the body for roughly two weeks total, it's not that bad. The problem is up to 80% of people are asymptomatic, so they don't even know they've been infected. If everyone or mostly everyone got symptoms, this kind of thing (blood transfusions, sexually transmitted, etc) would be a lot easier to control. Another problem, which I raised earlier, is whether or not you can get it again or are immune to Zika once you get it. Still lots of research ongoing.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:13 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,106,938 times
I haven't read all pages of replies so this may have already been addressed.

I've been doing as much reading as possible about Zika and it sounds like it's really only harmful for women who are currently pregnant. While, for everyone else the effects are reported to be mild and only last for a couple of days. Nothing fatal about it for anyone who isn't pregnant. I have more concerns about West Nile because it does have the potential for either long term neurological problems and/or death.

That's why I'm confused about why the media is stirring up so much hysteria if you only really have to worry about it if you're currently pregnant. While everyone else doesn't have much to worry about.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:55 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
I haven't read all pages of replies so this may have already been addressed.

I've been doing as much reading as possible about Zika and it sounds like it's really only harmful for women who are currently pregnant. While, for everyone else the effects are reported to be mild and only last for a couple of days. Nothing fatal about it for anyone who isn't pregnant. I have more concerns about West Nile because it does have the potential for either long term neurological problems and/or death.

That's why I'm confused about why the media is stirring up so much hysteria if you only really have to worry about it if you're currently pregnant. While everyone else doesn't have much to worry about.
So far it seems it's a very self-limiting virus. Correct! The downside is not that it's harmful to pregnant women, but what it's linked to with the fetus. And that is a huge problem. The media isn't stirring things up, the CDC is going as far as recommending women in any trimester not travel to countries where transmission is ongoing. They just don't know enough yet.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:02 AM

35,295 posts, read 20,671,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

this Florida-- its hot? and they can bite through shirts- also your neck and face is favorite

Old 02-05-2016, 07:49 AM

8,644 posts, read 22,786,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Scott Weaver (Univ. of Texas) says its "3 to 4 years before a Zika vaccine is available to the public". There may as well not be a vaccine. Millions upon millions will have been exposed by then. The immediate response everytime a new virus or bacteria appears is to ramp up R&D on a vaccine. A vaccine that will take years to reach market. Why bother. Zika has been around since 1947. It is inexcusable that only now is there any response from Big Pharma. Whatever millions might be shunted to the pharma labs should be given instead to the people looking into reduce mosquito populations, or the makers of insect repellents. Effective mosquito repellent can be nasty stuff. If I was pregnant I wouldn't want it anywhere near my developing baby. Maybe if we gave Johnson & Johnson enough money they could come up with something less toxic, but 100% effective. Hmmm maybe we should give Toms of Maine (tm) 5 million to see what they can do
I'm curious why it's the responsibility of Big Pharma when that is the job of CDC & WHO? Last I checked, private companies are not responsible for prophylactic medicine. R & D is the greatest cost of most drug manufacturing (unless accidental), pharmaceuticals are about profit, ask anyone that purchases their stock. That is why the FDA had to come out with the Orphan Drug Act. It is the CDC and WHO needs to up their game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events