Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:57 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think this country is going overboard being pc ...it is a dog gone doll folks and thank god I grew up in the 60s when this country actually had some sense about things and we did not try and wipe out kids imagination of things . This country and world is going to h*ll in a handbasket really fast . I'm glad I grew up in the 60s . I feel sorry for kids now because they have adults and cell phones and computers doing all their thinking for them . This world is such a stupid place now and the wrong things are cared about aka the curvy Barbie .
Wow, if its just a doll as you say why are you worked up about it? What bothers people SO much about having dolls that look different from the norm?

Old 01-29-2016, 07:36 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
when I was a little kid, I had Barbie dolls. The purpose was to have this wonderful fabulous multi-wardrobed adult girl that we could aspire to, with the various professions she aspired to - model, stewardess, model, etc. and then she had to get all the wonderful things - Barbie Car, Barbie house, etc.. It was a fantasy of what a beautiful girl could be. It was not supposed to be political correctness. We just had fun playing with all her outfits, her different shoes, back then just getting new outfits for Barbie was fun. You could escape your average day with a Barbie. Barbie was meant to dream about growing up and the grown up world. Oh yeah, and then we played the Barbie board game too.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:48 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
In a few more years or so, kids will be able to print their own barbie dolls at home using a 3D printer and they will be able to customize the looks and shape easily. It's already a possibility today as many doll makers use 3D printers to develop their work.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:51 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
when I was a little kid, I had Barbie dolls. The purpose was to have this wonderful fabulous multi-wardrobed adult girl that we could aspire to, with the various professions she aspired to - model, stewardess, model, etc. and then she had to get all the wonderful things - Barbie Car, Barbie house, etc.. It was a fantasy of what a beautiful girl could be. It was not supposed to be political correctness. We just had fun playing with all her outfits, her different shoes, back then just getting new outfits for Barbie was fun. You could escape your average day with a Barbie. Barbie was meant to dream about growing up and the grown up world. Oh yeah, and then we played the Barbie board game too.
It's funny you said that. I had the complete opposite impression of Barbie when I was a little girl. My sweet deceased grandmother made the mistake of giving me, her nerdy granddaughter, a Barbie for Christmas one year. I was only five years old at the time, and I wasn't having any of it. I told her, "Barbie is a sexist toy," and asked her if she would get me a science kit instead.

I was a voracious reader, into science, writing, and medicine, and even then, believed Barbie was a symbol of unattainable standards of female beauty and encouraged girls to get by on looks and not their brains. Although my grandmother was crestfallen at the time, she got me the science kit as I asked, and I ended up doing very well in school and attended college early. Many years later, we talked about that Christmas gift faux pas and had a lot of laughs about it

Old 01-29-2016, 08:00 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Wow, if its just a doll as you say why are you worked up about it? What bothers people SO much about having dolls that look different from the norm?
Because it is so ridiculous ....

Old 01-29-2016, 09:01 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,185 times
At least they didn't replace the traditional Barbie. It's silly to suggest that it isn't a "realistic" body type (as realistic as you can expect from a toy). It's certainly not the only type, of course.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:11 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
At least they didn't replace the traditional Barbie. It's silly to suggest that it isn't a "realistic" body type (as realistic as you can expect from a toy). It's certainly not the only type, of course.
Of course Barbie's measurements are unrealistic. There was an unbelievably long thread about that exact subject several months ago. It has been closed, unfortunately (fortunately?) but the conclusion CDers, many bloggers, and probably scientists have reached is that no real woman could achieve Barbie's measurements without the help of plastic surgery, tightlaced corsetting, and/or anorexia or some other eating disorder

Why are barbie's measurements considered unrealistic?

Old 01-29-2016, 09:14 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Lets not be too dismissive of the pressures brought to bear on companies by people with chips on their shoulders, and the race merchants that intimidate and shake down companies like Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton.
Their respective organizations have made a living on squeaking to get the green grease.

Good lord, does race really have to come into a thread about Barbie?!?!?!?

I for one am glad that black kids can buy black Barbies, or black dolls in general. I remember a time when there were NO black dolls for sale. Did Jessie and Al have anything to do with that?

Remember your big box of Crayola crayons? Remember the tannish-pink one was named 'flesh'? How would you feel if you were black and that color was the definition of 'flesh'?

You are familiar with Band-Aids? They were advertised as 'flesh-colored'.

Again, things have changed, and they've changed for the better.

Obviously, you don't think so.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:14 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,401 times
A lose for parents. Now, they will need to buy clothes in various shapes and sizes, if they buy barbies in various shapes and sizes. That was the best thing for my daughter. She could swap the clothes among dolls. I guess for the kids it will be more fun with more differences though.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:16 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,597 times
I know I will certainly not waste my time cutting off the heads and decorating my basement torture cell with these new gross and obese dolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events