Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 08:42 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,281,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Schools often do nothing and that's part of the problem. In fact, I've read several articles where they try to control the victim knowing they cannot control the bully.

I'm not the litigious type, but I hope this woman sues the school, the school district, everyone she complained to, and the bully and her family.

I'm not talking about teasing, by the way, I'm all for that. Bullying isn't the same thing.
This is why any bullying complaint must be made in writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 08:46 AM

412 posts, read 448,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
This is why any bullying complaint must be made in writing.
Huh?

Old 01-30-2016, 08:51 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,281,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
Huh?
If she ends up suing the school district, she will have to prove she actually did make prior complaints. Otherwise the school will play this down.

So if you ever complain to your school about bullying, make sure it's in writing - nowadays every teacher has an email address.

This way they won't pretend like you took a single incident and blew it out of proportions.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:52 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,481,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
Huh?

To document the complaints and the schools inability to act on them. In other words, the victims family will have proof.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:11 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,135,577 times
Quote:
Later in the article it says the mother admitted she shoved her, so it may have been a block/shove, but you'd think it wouldn't matter given the aggression of the teen.

People have accidentally bumped into another person, only to have that person charge them with assault, so it doesn't take much for police to act on it. Whether the charge sticks is another story.
I agree.

I'm not sure the charges should stick, but it might help the frustrated mother out a bit in her situation - like, there was a reason the alleged assault of the 9th grader happened. It might also help teach the 9th grader that she shouldn't interject in situations that don't and shouldn't concern her. Learning to mind her business, and at best notifying officials while safely away from a situation, could save her life one day.

In the end, there is no denying that Mom should have kept her interactions limited to dealing with other adults. Everyone can understand her concern and frustration, but no one is allowed to act simply on impulse, no matter whether its the child or the adult.

Quote:
To document the complaints and the schools inability to act on them. In other words, the victims family will have proof.
Another good point!

Old 01-30-2016, 09:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,813,104 times
Maybe the mother should have gone to the bullies parent's home and confronted the idiot's parents. Schools aren't parents, they are a place to learn. The problem here is the bullies parents and no one else.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:26 AM

11,296 posts, read 16,588,776 times
I think the parents of these bullies need a beat down.

If I heard that my kid was a bully, he'd be on his knees asking for forgiveness from the person who he was bullying.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-31-2016 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: no politics or political jabs in this forum

Old 01-30-2016, 09:44 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,481,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I agree.

I'm not sure the charges should stick, but it might help the frustrated mother out a bit in her situation - like, there was a reason the alleged assault of the 9th grader happened. It might also help teach the 9th grader that she shouldn't interject in situations that don't and shouldn't concern her. Learning to mind her business, and at best notifying officials while safely away from a situation, could save her life one day.

In the end, there is no denying that Mom should have kept her interactions limited to dealing with other adults. Everyone can understand her concern and frustration, but no one is allowed to act simply on impulse, no matter whether its the child or the adult.

Another good point!
Thanks, but I can't take credit for it. I was just paraphrasing Ummagumma's great point.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:37 AM

18,515 posts, read 7,274,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
Well if you read the story, the mom *did* physically put her hands on a minor (not the bully she had tried to confront). And that is why she is being charged.
I read the story, and it doesn't say any of that.

It says the mother put her arm out to "block" another student. It doesn't say anything about her hands or any contact of any kind, except that the daughter grabbed someone's hand to stop her from hitting her mother.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:27 PM

50,252 posts, read 23,873,057 times
Let me give a few perspectives as a retired middle school principal.

1. Bullying is rampant in schools nowadays. Although the definition of bullying when I was a kid (in the 1950s-1960s) used to be mostly physical bullying, while today it includes all sorts of things that most of us wouldn't really call bullying. For example, I once had a parent come in to complain about bullying of her daughter. In the conference I asked the mother to explain the nature of the bullying: "My daughter didn't get an invitation to another girl's birthday party". Huh? Nevertheless, there is a lot of mean-spirited "mean girls" sort of bullying that goes on in schools today, and some of it is very cruel.

2. Teachers, counselors, and administrators cannot see or hear everything that goes on. Period. Were you ever bullied? Was it done in full view of adults? Probably not.

3. On the other hand, all too many school administrators do not take appropriate action when they are made aware of bullying. I've never understood why some try to ignore it, but some do. But others work hard at keeping bullying out of their schools, though it can be a losing battle.

4. Parents have no right to go onto school property or into a school and confront other students, whether verbally or physically. Never. No. Don't do it.

5. So what should parents do? a.) Well, if they feel they have to confront the other party, go to that child's house...I would suggest calling the other parents for a meeting...I would suggest having the meeting in a public place. b.) Complain to the school...in writing. Walk in with a written complaint... then it's on the record. If you have a conference with a counselor or administrator, write a follow-up memo summarizing what you feel was discussed in the meeting. Do this every time. If necessary, forward all such correspondence to the superintendent and/or school board. PAPER TRAILS HAVE A VERY LOUD VOICE. c.) Depending on the severity of the situation, call the police, get their advice, or even press charges. d.) Prepare yourself for hearing bad news. There are often 2 sides to every story, even with bullying. Your child may not be an angel, either. There are bullying situations that often turn out to be back-and-forth situations.

Your child will most often not want you to become involved. Get involved. Bullies don't stop until someone makes them stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events