Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 06:12 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
" City Council awarding the women a $4.2 million settlement and, separately, $40,000 to replace their bullet-riddled pickup i"

Humm... 4.2 mill for getting my car shot up, and a new car.

4.2 million.... but the cops didn't do anything wrong.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:13 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
" City Council awarding the women a $4.2 million settlement and, separately, $40,000 to replace their bullet-riddled pickup i"

Humm... 4.2 mill for getting my car shot up, and a new car.
Are you suggesting you would have taken over a hundred bullets, hoping for a miracle, just to get the award?

Old 01-31-2016, 10:33 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Cops don't kill people. Guns kill people. If we want guns to be used responsibly, we have to keep them out of the hands of cops and children. They're victims. The guns are the real criminals. Don't fire the cops. Fire the guns.
I have no idea what that means or if you are making a joke.

Back to the topic - all these cases go back to police training. Shot an innocent for an what any sane person in the world will see as an unjust reason - the police officers can just simply fall back on the claim that it is how they were trained.
A jury reviews the training techniques of police, and then think "yeah, you are right, the academy teaches you to shoot first and ask questions later". But training isn't on trial, the individual officer is, so the officer is aquitted almost every time.
That should be the issue here - a sea change is needed in police training on lethal use of force.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:03 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I have no idea what that means or if you are making a joke.

That should be the issue here - a sea change is needed in police training on lethal use of force.
Couldn't have said it better myself. It's instructive to know that most police officers spend a hell of lot more time on the range than they do in conflict resolution or de-escalation training. On average, 37 times more. So what is a cop more likely to do in stressful situation? S/he's more likely to shoot.

I'll give it up for cops--they don't have an easy job. But I think the continuing militarization of police departments around the country is law enforcement going in the wrong direction.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:05 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I researched this one well and bad shoot cops should be fired. I understand Dorner was ambushing cops but you can't just gun people down because they are driving a similar vehicle .

Stop and re-read that. How many are driving a blue Toyota Tacoma in So Cal.........more than a few......cops should be fired no excuses.
Shoot first, ask questions later. Better to be safe than sorry. The only consequence is dead innocent civilians.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:11 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Cops don't kill people. Guns kill people. If we want guns to be used responsibly, we have to keep them out of the hands of cops and children. They're victims. The guns are the real criminals. Don't fire the cops. Fire the guns.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:21 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The Supreme Court is just a corrupt as the damn corrupt good for nothing cops.
It has long ago become an Administrative Court.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:35 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Actually Charlie Beck the chief fully intends to fire every officer if he gets his way... Regardless of the totality of the circumstances.
You know sometimes is is just best to walk away form some topics without comment because even if you are right on some tangential point, in the grand scheme of things the defense is simply trivial, and self-serving.

"Social justice types?" Who isn't when the circumstances are as egregious as what has arisen out of this…words escape me.

How on ghawd's earth doesn't any competent person mistake news papers hitting the side walk with gun fire? Nor will I ever understand the "sympatheic fire" cops shooting just because everybody else is. What's that about, some sort of police bro pact so when you get back to wherever you can say, "yeah man, I had your back. I emptied my weapon. Didn't know what the bloody hell I was shooting at, but I was there for you."

I swear that from what I'm hearing the kids who fought in Falujah had more fire control sense and adherence to rules of engagement than the average cop.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
You know cops aren't paid very well. Hard to get good help. I'm not trying to make light. Thank goodness those ladies were not killed. I agree the stupid trigger happy cops need to be fired. We definitely need higher standards if that's what the police academy is producing.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:45 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
You know sometimes is is just best to walk away form some topics without comment because even if you are right on some tangential point, in the grand scheme of things the defense is simply trivial, and self-serving.

"Social justice types?" Who isn't when the circumstances are as egregious as what has arisen out of this…words escape me.

How on ghawd's earth doesn't any competent person mistake news papers hitting the side walk with gun fire? Nor will I ever understand the "sympatheic fire" cops shooting just because everybody else is. What's that about, some sort of police bro pact so when you get back to wherever you can say, "yeah man, I had your back. I emptied my weapon. Didn't know what the bloody hell I was shooting at, but I was there for you."

I swear that from what I'm hearing the kids who fought in Falujah had more fire control sense and adherence to rules of engagement than the average cop.

Well stated, particularly the first line.

The only way you even TRY and excuse this, is if you ARE one of the bad guys.

So noted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events