Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:16 AM

948 posts, read 920,480 times

Advertisements

Man shot dead by police after K-9 is stabbed during Roseville call - StarTribune.com

Police in the Twin Cities were called to a noise complaint at the apartment of a man with mental health issues. He said he had been robbed, and wouldn't answer the door. They decided to break in.

This was justified on the basis of an outstanding warrant for his arrest from a couple months earlier, for giving them a false name. (The officer said the man probably didn't even know about the warrant.).

They brought a police dog into the apartment with them, despite knowing the man was in fear and mentally unstable. The dog found him hiding in his bedroom closet with a kitchen knife. He "made stabbing motions" at the dog, so two police officers fired at least 4 shots into him.

The dog's injuries were not serious, probably just scratches. The man is dead, and his family is not happy.

But an awful lot of people seem to think the police were justified in killing a man to protect a dog that's trained to attack people.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:17 AM

Police radio audio here

AUDIO: Roseville, MN Officer Involved Shooting - Minnesota Police Clips - MNPoliceClips

Old 02-12-2016, 09:36 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Man shot dead by police after K-9 is stabbed during Roseville call - StarTribune.com...But an awful lot of people seem to think the police were justified in killing a man to protect a dog that's trained to attack people.
at least state what you think should have happened so that you can be properly ridiculed

Old 02-12-2016, 09:38 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,467 times
I know, they should of shot the knife out of his hand. Maybe the dog should of grabbed the knife with his teeth and jerked it away.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:40 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,980 times
I believe the dogs are considered to be police officers. I think a lot of deadly incidents involving police could be prevented if they were properly trained on how to deal with people with severe mental illness. I think if they had then maybe everyone in this situation could have walked away unharmed.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:46 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
I believe the dogs are considered to be police officers. I think a lot of deadly incidents involving police could be prevented if they were properly trained on how to deal with people with severe mental illness. I think if they had then maybe everyone in this situation could have walked away unharmed.
The problem is no matter how much you train cops they will never be mental heath care professionals. You go to stab a K9 the police have every right to shoot you. I blame the idiot with the knife and not the cops!!

Old 02-12-2016, 09:58 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
The problem is no matter how much you train cops they will never be mental heath care professionals. You go to stab a K9 the police have every right to shoot you. I blame the idiot with the knife and not the cops!!

same cop's previous canine partner was nearly killed in a similar incident 6 years ago and retired with multiple health issues.

Roseville K-9 officer Major, who survived stabbing, meets peaceful end – Twin Cities

Old 02-12-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
same cop's previous canine partner was nearly killed in a similar incident 6 years ago and retired with multiple health issues.

Roseville K-9 officer Major, who survived stabbing, meets peaceful end – Twin Cities
I think that's the problem. His previous dog was injured in the line of duty, so now he's trigger-happy. He'd rather kill a man than take a chance of seeing another dog injured.

They pumped at least 4 shots into this guy, and then went around the apartment building to see if anyone in one of the other apartments was injured by their bullets. Do you know what that means? It means they risked killing people in other apartments to protect a dog!

Old 02-12-2016, 10:31 AM

And that wasn't exactly a "similar incident". The first dog was injured when going after a real criminal, and I think a crime was in progress. This new case is just a severely depressed man hiding in the bedroom closet of his own apartment, who claimed he had just been robbed. The dog didn't belong there.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:38 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
You go to stab a K9 the police have every right to shoot you.

Lets debate if the tables were turned. If an officer enters your property and your protective german shepherd charges and he takes aim, does the Homeowner have a right to shoot the officer?

Now this debate will really take off <grabs popcorn, and sits and waits>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events