Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 03:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
look 16 year old kids hack the gov. high tech secure- bolted encrypted sites-- just give it to a hacker they will get in
Our beloved government is years behind in technology.
They are slow to move and even slower to upgrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 03:20 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,285 times
This isn't really a question about cell phones and Apple and the FBI and technology... It's a change in paradigm.

Since the US was founded, there has never been a storage container that was impervious to a search warrant. Now there is.

The cops (in this case, the Bureau) do not know how to respond - they've always been able to gain access to any storage container ever invented. But not this time. They are righteously indignant.

The container maker (Apple) is making a fortune marketing 'privacy.' What they are actually marketing is a storage container that is impervious to a search warrant.

I can see both sides of this. People don't want the government sniffing around their communications. Got it.

But what do I do with the child molester who locks up the evidence of his crimes in his phone, cops for a lawyer and refuses to answer questions or consent to a search of his phone? What do I tell the parents of his third, fourth and fifth victims? "Well, we can't arrest him because the evidence is in his phone, and even though we have a warrant, we can't get into it..." I kinda see Jim Comey's side of it, too.

The Constitution says that a citizen may be secure in his person and his papers unless a warrant shall issue... Seems like the founding fathers never envisioned a storage container that was impervious to a warrant.

But we got one now.

So what are our thoughts about that?

Old 02-23-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
This isn't really a question about cell phones and Apple and the FBI and technology... It's a change in paradigm.

Since the US was founded, there has never been a storage container that was impervious to a search warrant. Now there is.

The cops (in this case, the Bureau) do not know how to respond - they've always been able to gain access to any storage container ever invented. But not this time. They are righteously indignant.

The container maker (Apple) is making a fortune marketing 'privacy.' What they are actually marketing is a storage container that is impervious to a search warrant.

I can see both sides of this. People don't want the government sniffing around their communications. Got it.

But what do I do with the child molester who locks up the evidence of his crimes in his phone, cops for a lawyer and refuses to answer questions or consent to a search of his phone? What do I tell the parents of his third, fourth and fifth victims? "Well, we can't arrest him because the evidence is in his phone, and even though we have a warrant, we can't get into it..." I kinda see Jim Comey's side of it, too.

The Constitution says that a citizen may be secure in his person and his papers unless a warrant shall issue... Seems like the founding fathers never envisioned a storage container that was impervious to a warrant.

But we got one now.

So what are our thoughts about that?
But you don't know that do you ? You just SUSPECT the evidence is in his phone.
And he had to have left some trail if you suspect him to begin with.

The government has full access to our communications. They tap the backbone and take all the telecom and social media data and store them in huge databases for their own use.

So in reality you have nothing and you hope that the one thing you can't get access to has everything you need.

But what if it doesn't ? Now the iPhones have a backdoor and the FBI has a master key.
Once you step over that line there is no going back.
And with wifi and bluetooth the NSA can suck up all the data out of any iPhone they want.

You really think a terrorist put all his terrorist contact names into a government owned work phone during the month of November ?

Old 02-23-2016, 03:56 PM

274 posts, read 704,817 times
Why do people trust Apple, but not the FBI?

Old 02-23-2016, 04:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
Why do people trust Apple, but not the FBI?
I could have answered had you asked "but not the government", but James Comey is one of the few people in the government that I've fully trusted. He's proven in the past that he's a man of character. But I think he has to believe that this will be a one time deal and that's it, so I'm viewing him in this situation as misguided, rather than nefarious.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:41 PM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Our beloved government is years behind in technology.
They are slow to move and even slower to upgrade.
yep even when they were looking for Bin laden- I said-- offer the kids some money -girls - a new car and booze --they will find him! Well now Bill gates is pounding on Apple--

Old 02-23-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
yep even when they were looking for Bin laden- I said-- offer the kids some money -girls - a new car and booze --they will find him! Well now Bill gates is pounding on Apple--
The windows phone is practically dead.
Gates never liked Apple and any Windows product other then the OS that went up against Apple is dead.
And in the past Microsoft actually worked with the USG to allow them to get data off Windows systems.

Yeah..Gates would not be on Apple's side.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
The windows phone is practically dead.
Gates never liked Apple and any Windows product other then the OS that went up against Apple is dead.
And in the past Microsoft actually worked with the USG to allow them to get data off Windows systems.

Yeah..Gates would not be on Apple's side.
Exactly right! Not to mention the devil's ambassador (Gates) had tons of government contracts and I'm sure still wants Microsoft the evil giant to get even more. If he can just kill off Apple his life would be complete.

Whenever I hear "Microsoft" I think of the show IRobot and Evilcorp.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:49 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,285 times
Quote:
But you don't know that do you ? You just SUSPECT the evidence is in his phone.
And he had to have left some trail if you suspect him to begin with.

That's why I picked a child molester as the example. They all photograph their bad acts and trade it with other pedophiles. Haven't seen one lately who didn't.

The government has full access to our communications. They tap the backbone and take all the telecom and social media data and store them in huge databases for their own use.

Um, no they don't. They could if they wanted to, but in actual fact the law prevents it.

So in reality you have nothing and you hope that the one thing you can't get access to has everything you need.

But what if it doesn't ? Now the iPhones have a backdoor and the FBI has a master key.

No, that's what the court fight is all about. But it misses my point. My point is, should a company be able to market, and should a citizen be able to own, a storage container that cannot be accessed pursuant to a warrant...?

Once you step over that line there is no going back.
And with wifi and bluetooth the NSA can suck up all the data out of any iPhone they want.

You really think a terrorist put all his terrorist contact names into a government owned work phone during the month of November ?

Yup. They typically only have one contact, and they tend to keep them on speed-dial.

Forget all the suspicions and paranoia you may harbor about what the government can or cannot actually do. The question is, should a citizen be allowed to have a storage container that is impervious to a lawfully issued search warrant?

Hint: Mike Haden says yes. But then he doesn't chase child molesters for a living...

Old 02-23-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Forget all the suspicions and paranoia you may harbor about what the government can or cannot actually do. The question is, should a citizen be allowed to have a storage container that is impervious to a lawfully issued search warrant?

Hint: Mike Haden says yes. But then he doesn't chase child molesters for a living...
And neither of those terrorists were child molesters.
And Mr. Farook didn't have any terrorist on speed dial on his work phone up through October 2015.

The couple smashed the cellphones they did use. That's where your "terrorist data" is, not his government issued work phone that got backed up regularly to iCloud.

The USG can and does intercept all communications that go out on the net or voice.
If he had his terrorist friend on speed dial than voice communications that the NSA gathers would have that.

The government already said they have all his emails and phone calls.

Only data that never left that iPhone is what they don't have.
So NO terrorist would be on speed dial that they didn't already know about.

The NSA has systems that are able to retrieve all phone calls made by anyone anywhere with 100% success. MYSTIC is one of many programs the NSA has to gather data on us.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...f19_story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events