Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 04:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,872,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think that if I ignored a Court order my ass would end up locked up for contempt of Court.
Not if you didn't possess the key to the door you were being ordered to open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I agree with you completely. I really don't think Apple has a choice whether to do it or not as a judge ordered it. I do not think they should GIVE the FBI anything.
Of COURSE they have a choice, you can't order someone to spend money/invest others time to invent/make something they don't already make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I totally agree.

And I would ask Cook what he would do if it were his family members that were killed by the Islamic terrorists? I bet he would have a different view on the subject. Course, he probably does NOT care about other people getting killed.
Are you willing to give up all your rights on the slim possibility that it "may","might" stop something later? It's not just himself (Cook) that he has to think of, it's every one of Apple's customers. I think he's seeing it as he has no right to give away others privacy rights. If we were talking about water boarding the two terrorists, well that's another thing all together and would fall under the "what would you do if your kid was a target of terrorists".
There's NO evidence that there's anything on the phone in question, just that it belonged to a kook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I agree strikes a good balance between privacy and safety.

It's not like before when authorities went to tech companies without rock solid evidence........we have plenty of proof they were terrorists unlike some of the previous incidents where the authorities may have "bluffed" tech companies.

We have the proof there is no bluff/made up incident
When it comes to the feds it's been proven over and over again that there is NO BALANCE, it's always whatever is best for them and screw the general public as we have no idea what's needed to stay safe. Only nanny knows!
I'm sorry but they've (the government) has proven over and over again "give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile or five".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 04:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,141,708 times
People are forgetting a few things here.

The two of them used throwaway cellphones that were found smashed up in their garbage.
The phone in question was his county government work phone.

You think he did "terrorist business" on a government owned cellphone ?

And besides, it was the wife that had the terrorist background and converted him.

Apple has resisted all attempts by the various levels of governments to "unlock the iPhone".
The last one was October 2015...meth dealer on trial and the local government wanted Apple to unlock his cellphone.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:17 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 14 days ago)

34,455 posts, read 16,551,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I have to say I'm siding with Apple, terrorists or no.

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about Why You Should Care About Apple

A letter from Tim Cook on the matter Customer Letter - Apple
I don't see where there's a constitutional issue here. Speech is free but actions are not free. Shooting up the holiday party was an action. And the search and seizure is extremely "reasonable" where there has been a horrific crime. The right to encrypted communications defies common sense.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:18 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,778,360 times
I see this as no different than if documents owned by a deceased criminal/terrorists are in a safe which needs to be breached.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:21 PM

35,349 posts, read 20,714,667 times
The technology is there, but they have the"rights" and they do not want to share. Kinda Pizzi as they got their wealth from our grants etc. but in general, many media companies are being less and less willing to share info, even with a court order. Many phones also not made the same, an Apple i6 may be different in US - than say Japan . The war is in the cyberworld and if they unwilling to help, what can I tell you? Un-American? They probably not owned by us anyhow. And that is important! Many security components to our nation end are owned by foreign companies.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:24 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,320,018 times
Does no one read the article anymore?

The FBI wants a "key" to "unlock" an iPhone, that "key" does not exist. They are asking for Apple to make them a "key" that doesn't exist.

Requiring them to do this is a slippery slope I'm not going down. If the FBI can force a company to make something they don't want to make, that's way too much government intrusion.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:29 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,865,134 times
did the terrorists have a dog? try that as a password, how about "Allah1234"?

Old 02-17-2016, 05:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,465,657 times
As WeHa points out, the technology does not exist at this point and the FBI is asking Apple to create it. If they do so, they've set a precedence they do not want to set, and with good reason.

This is not Apple's problem. The FBI will have to figure this out on their own.

El Nox, you do bring up an interesting point. You'd think the FBI would be more sophisticated, but perhaps they aren't and should start with the CIA instead of going to Apple.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:34 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,397,356 times
We pay billions of dollars for defense and we need to ask Apple to create a way to hack the i-phone? I find it hard to believe that we have no Intelligence agency who can do this all on their own.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:37 PM

44,918 posts, read 59,916,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Does no one read the article anymore?

The FBI wants a "key" to "unlock" an iPhone, that "key" does not exist. They are asking for Apple to make them a "key" that doesn't exist.

Requiring them to do this is a slippery slope I'm not going down. If the FBI can force a company to make something they don't want to make, that's way too much government intrusion.

Yeah the government has never forced a company to make a product it doesn't want to (air bags, back up cameras starting next year, cars with catalytic converters, wood stoves with same).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events