Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 09:57 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

What percentage of traffic stops result in felony arrests? That is a better question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 11:34 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You're correct and I probably wasn't clear in what I wrote. I was trying to say it makes no sense to set quotas for things like tickets, just as it would make no sense to set quotas for surgeons. And yes, gp's are being given quotas to meet and that's one of the reasons so many are now disenchanted with the medical field. They cannot spend enough time with each patient and are rushing through appointments with people who should be given more attention, in order to keep their job.

Cops have expressed frustration with quotas in the past, saying it forces them to lie in order to ticket people. Whether this particular cop is good or bad isn't the issue, in my mind. It's that quotas shouldn't be set and other means should be used to measure performance.

As in the case with healthcare, this has become nothing more than a revenue grab.
We are talking about doing the bare minimum here. This cop was doing almost nothing in terms of his activity. Again you cant come to work and decide that you are not going to do aspects of your job. As a cop you have to make arrests and write tickets. You don't want to do that then don't become a cop. Imagine being a teacher saying I wont grade tests and give out report cards. You have to do your job. This cop was doing so little that it raised everyone's attention.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What percentage of traffic stops result in felony arrests? That is a better question.
More arrests are generated by car stops than by any other action. You would be surprised what you find on car stops.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:42 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
We are talking about doing the bare minimum here.
Cops who aspire to do the bare minimum are a big part of the problem we have with cops overall. There should never be a bare minimum and there should never be quotas. Those are recipes for corruption and gaming the system.

The ethical way to evaluate cops would be to put undercover officers in their neighborhoods to watch them work. A cop who never has to make any arrests because he does such a good job that he keeps crime down, should be considered a hero, not a bum.

We seriously need to overhaul our whole system of cops and justice in the whole USA. What we have now is like a cancer which might eventually destroy our whole civilization.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
More arrests are generated by car stops than by any other action. You would be surprised what you find on car stops.
You avoided the question. What percentage of stops result in arrests or felonies?

I don't want to hear about the time you found Ted Bundy because he forgot to use his turn signal. Is it 10%? 5%? 2%?

Old 02-21-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
You avoided the question. What percentage of stops result in arrests or felonies?

I don't want to hear about the time you found Ted Bundy because he forgot to use his turn signal. Is it 10%? 5%? 2%?
That depends on how hard you look. The area that you are working. There is not set number on that. I will say this if you want me to be completely honest with you that during a tour I could find over a hundred legitimate illegal violations that I could pull over. Under NYS VTL I would have every legal right to make those car stops. I could issue a ticket or I could use discretion. Anytime I wanted a collar all I would do is car stops. Not a single day that if I was looking to make an arrest that if I did my car stops that I could not find an arrest. I have pulled guns, drugs, dwi's and warrants all from car stops. Lastly what does it matter if it is 100% arrest rate on a car stop or 1%? If the cop has a legal right to make that stop then he/she has done their job. What are you trying to insinuate?

Old 02-21-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
That depends on how hard you look. The area that you are working. There is not set number on that. I will say this if you want me to be completely honest with you that during a tour I could find over a hundred legitimate illegal violations that I could pull over. Under NYS VTL I would have every legal right to make those car stops. I could issue a ticket or I could use discretion. Anytime I wanted a collar all I would do is car stops. Not a single day that if I was looking to make an arrest that if I did my car stops that I could not find an arrest. I have pulled guns, drugs, dwi's and warrants all from car stops. Lastly what does it matter if it is 100% arrest rate on a car stop or 1%? If the cop has a legal right to make that stop then he/she has done their job. What are you trying to insinuate?
Don't be so obtuse. If you pull over 100 people and only 2 people have something actually worthy of punishment, that's a waste of time. Now if 1/5 people do well that sounds pretty effective. But if you are pulling people over as an excuse to search their car...well we all know what that is.

I'll just leave this example from Florida here. In this city, men of color got stopped and even arrested for "loitering" on their way to work. Not sure how you loiter on the walk to work, but apparently you can.

In Miami Gardens, store video catches cops in the act | Miami Herald

Old 02-21-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Don't be so obtuse. If you pull over 100 people and only 2 people have something actually worthy of punishment, that's a waste of time. Now if 1/5 people do well that sounds pretty effective. But if you are pulling people over as an excuse to search their car...well we all know what that is.

I'll just leave this example from Florida here. In this city, men of color got stopped and even arrested for "loitering" on their way to work. Not sure how you loiter on the walk to work, but apparently you can.

In Miami Gardens, store video catches cops in the act | Miami Herald
That is your opinion. Also I will say the rate depended on the day. It could be your first car stop that lead to an arrest or your tenth car stop. Either way 100% it is not a waste of time. You and I will never agree on the issue. Have a nice day!!!

Old 02-21-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
That is your opinion. Also I will say the rate depended on the day. It could be your first car stop that lead to an arrest or your tenth car stop. Either way 100% it is not a waste of time. You and I will never agree on the issue. Have a nice day!!!
You have to balance time spent vs effectiveness. This is how it works in the private sector. Not an unreasonable metric.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
You have to balance time spent vs effectiveness. This is how it works in the private sector. Not an unreasonable metric.
That's the great part of the police department. There is no set answer. Its a matter of opinion. If I did 100 car stops and I pulled an illegal gun that was/or may be used in a shooting was it worth it? I would say it was. You might say it wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events