Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 09:04 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
CA is a place where you have to be filthy rich or dirt poor (to get welfare) to exist these days.

There's an RE bubble growing in many of the hot cities today. So much that those that lived there for decades can't afford to stay.
Same thing is even happening in a "cheap" state like South Carolina. Charleston is starting to become a mini-San Fran (peninsular similarities aside). Many people who have been here decades are now getting pushed farther and farther out, the areas are getting bulldozed, new, shiny places are being put up, and the transplants are swooping in and taking them, which is a "steal" price to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 09:14 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
CA is a place where you have to be filthy rich or dirt poor (to get welfare) to exist these days.
There's an RE bubble growing in many of the hot cities today. So much that those that lived there for decades can't afford to stay.
The dirt poor can't afford to live in the Bay Area either. If they have a section 8 voucher almost no landlordw will take one anymore. There's no need for them to deal with the hassle of vouchers when there are 5-10 people competing for the same rental without a voucher. A few years ago Vallejo was overwhelmed with 8 voucher transfers from San Francisco that they quit accepting them. They were taking over most of the available rentals in the City leaving no inventory for people without a voucher. And I think a family of three in California gets around $700 in cash which doesn't even pay for a motel room for a week in the Bay Area.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:54 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Hmm, if she did not like the wage she should not have accepted the job.
Maybe it was the only offer she had at the time So if she would have turned it down, she'd get ripped on for living off of "handouts", being lazy and "not taking ANYTHING"

Old 02-21-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Was the pay a secret when she took the job? She wasn't forced to work for them.
And if she had turned it down due to pay, we all know on CD she'd be ripped for being lazy, with entitlement issues, she'd be one of "those types" that thinks they are too good to work for low pay, and she should take ANY job and pull herself up by her bootstraps!! . MAybe it was all she had as far as offers!! Why is this such a hard concept to grasp????

Old 02-21-2016, 10:00 PM

183 posts, read 210,608 times
"That's A lot Of Rice" by Talia Jane - Debunked

Old 02-21-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Here's her letter to the CEO.
This girl had it all planned out for herself.

Only Yelp didn't comply with her wishes of promotion and raise within months of being hired in customer support.

Typical young American folks. None want to start at the bottom and work their way up.
They come out of school thinking they are middle management material.

She was making $1460 a month (net). What is killing her was the rent and maxed out credit card.

Said she moved there to be near her Dad. So why isn't Dad helping her out ?

https://medium.com/@taliajane/an-ope...e7a#.kn0083nfu

And if she refused the job, would you criticize her for being a typical young american that doesnt want to work??? So she takes the job and STILL gets ripped on. I guess young folks in 'murica need to be good little puppets and willingly accept poverty wages, and lousy treatment, to just take any job.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I was talking to one of my coworkers last week. He is a director level employee at my company. We work at a company that pays pretty well. We were talking about the link someone sent around. Someone had a friend looking for a roommate for his apartment near our office. It was a fancy 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment. A good size. Nice finishes. New building. Super rare in SF. The price was $3500. To share a 2 bedroom apartment!?!!?!?

He was like "who can afford that, that is so expensive!" Remember this guy is a director and feasibly well paid! He thought the price was terrible. Now of course younger people sacrifice more and spend more for housing. And sure you would not need a car or parking for that location so that saves you in some ways. Transportation costs would be limited.

But when well paid workers are like "I can't afford to move" something is seriously wrong.

I agree, yet so many here are quick to condemn her for even taking the job. If she turned it down, she'd get ripped on even more. Maybe it was all she had as far as options. Why are so many giving the company a pass on it's pathetic wages? So many here gloat about their greatness and say they would take any job just to work, but this woman did and still gets criticized because she knew she couldnt live on it. Would they be happier if she refused it?

Old 02-21-2016, 10:31 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Hopefully, she learned that actions have consequences.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:33 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post

I guess someone made a collection of her Instagram posts before she made it private as proof she could afford bread.

Oh dear. That doesn't look good.

And I was prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt because . . . San Francisco.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:50 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I guess someone made a collection of her instagram posts before she made it private as proof she could afford bread.

I get her frustration, but then I read it and idk..you gotta live within your means too. Get a second job, Ive worked 3 at a time. Do what you have to do to get where you want to be. Complaining isn't the answer.
She probably got a big check from her parents at graduation. And then it ran out. Or she has other friends with better paying jobs. Or she used her money unwisely like many other 20 somethings.

She probably went from feeling flush with no expenses, to suddenly realizing her paycheck needed to pay her expenses. But let me tell you, even though she was over paying for housing, there really aren't any cheap options out there. Berkeley doesn't even have cheap room shares any more but those $800 rooms near campus would have snapped up by all the students pretty quickly. In recent months, pretty much any rental on the market has a 15-20 qualified applicants turning up, some even willing to pay many months in advance.

I am sure her parents co-signed, helped her with the first few months of rent and then she was supposed to figure it out herself. She wouldn't have qualified for the lease with her income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events