U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 12:08 PM

343 posts, read 426,102 times

Advertisements

#dropyelp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 12:22 PM

171 posts, read 150,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No it is not. It is required.

A. Millennials don't have home phones. In fact most people under 40 do not have a home phone.
B. You need a phone to get a job! You need to communicate!
C. If you only get one phone number, the best choice is a cell phone
D. If you only had a home phone, how would you get your messages? When was the last time you saw a pay phone?
You also need internet to fully participate in today's economy.
She can't afford a cell phone and a landline is less expensive- sorry but it is a luxury- there was life before the cell phone. You can communicate and get messages on a -gasp- land line -there is this thing called voice mail. This is your opinion, its ok she will realize that she can't afford certain things and make better choices eventually.

I had 3 jobs and housemates at 25, did it suck yes but oh no cell phone so how could that have happened? (and no I'm not that old). I'm not siding with Yelp but this girl isn't willing to pay her dues.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:28 PM

516 posts, read 292,460 times
I wonder if the employee wrote a bad review about Yelp and posted it on Yelp?

Old 02-21-2016, 12:31 PM

31,012 posts, read 13,578,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothwells mum View Post
She can't afford a cell phone and a landline is less expensive- sorry but it is a luxury- there was life before the cell phone. You can communicate and get messages on a -gasp- land line -there is this thing called voice mail. This is your opinion, its ok she will realize that she can't afford certain things and make better choices eventually.

I had 3 jobs and housemates at 25, did it suck yes but oh no cell phone so how could that have happened? (and no I'm not that old). I'm not siding with Yelp but this girl isn't willing to pay her dues.
There are a few assumptions in your post that may not apply to this young woman, or to most people for that matter:

3 jobs would likely be impossible if you are living 40 miles from your job, commuting, even via BART would take an hour each way, that hardly leaves times for two more jobs unless you make a decision not to sleep.

Not all apartments allow roommates, in fact most don't allow anyone except the person on the lease to live in the unit unless additional tenants are approved by the landlord and added to the lease, and it can get dicey putting a person you don't know well on your lease.

And cellphones are required if you want to find and keep a job, they are no longer the luxury that they were considered 10 or 15 years ago. If someone calls your landline to interview you for a job and you aren't home there's a real good chance they will go to the next person on the list, that's the reality. Not to mention that cell service is frequently cheaper than a landline

Old 02-21-2016, 12:42 PM

976 posts, read 1,099,890 times
Quote:
I live in the Bay Area. And while I agree she did sound a little bratty. But let me tell you more about reality here.

Housing is so expensive that people making $100K+ need to get roommates. They can afford to live in an OK place within an easy transit commute to SF jobs. Now let me clarify, 1 bedrooms near yelp, and in most parts of San Francisco rent for $3000. These aren't posh one bedrooms. These are older apartments that may not have a dishwasher or even a laundry room in the building. Do you want laundry in you apartment? I hope you $4500 to spend a month.

You can move out of SF, to let's say downtown Oakland and pay $3000 for a fancier one bedroom. Or a basic one bedroom in a nice / convenient part for $2500. Again, this is a basic place without a dishwasher ranging in age from roughly 1920s to 1980s. Your commute costs would be about $7-$8 per day. It'll be old. The flooring and kitchen cabinets might be fairly new.

So in most metro areas, there are cheap close in places or far nice places. You can compromise in NYC and live in good parts of the Bronx or Queens and still have a reasonable commute, and fairly affrodable rent. You can move to CT or NJ and get a nice home in a good school district on middle class wages. The Bay Area doesn't have this. Every single place within about a 45-60 minute commute to any job center is expensive. The entire region. Median home price in the region for a basic family sized home is $1M. If you want 3 bedrooms, good schools and a 30ish minute commute to SF or Silicon Valley you need at least $1.5M.

Another example, the formerly cheap, still drug infested area of San Francisco, the Tenderloin, has new 1 bedroom apartments for about $3500. And keep in mind you will see people selling and using drugs on the street, defecating, and all sort of other stuff. You'll probably have a homeless person sleeping in your doorway, for $3500. And you will step over human feces on your walk to work.

There are also SROs that cost $1200. And in case you aren't familiar with an SRO, this means you get a really small room, a lot like a dorm room but less nice. A shared bathroom in the hallway with 5-8 people. You may have access to a kitchen, but you probably won't want to use the kitchen that is shared with 30-40 people. You might get a microwave or hot plate or small fridge for your room. And remember that costs $1200 in the same neighborhood.

Or you can choose to live 30-40 miles out in a place like Concord. Where the 1 bedrooms in a mediocre part of town cost about $1500. And the commute costs are about $12 each day.

You might be able to find a deal in one of the areas of Oakland or Richmond that have drive-bys pretty often. That costs about $700 for a room. You might get shot on your way home walking from the bus, but sure that's an acceptable risk right? At least you'll pass the drug dealer on the corner, maybe you'll score a deal.

One of my sister's coworkers lives and illegal windowless basement room. It's a "steal" at $1000 a month.

So let me sum this up. If you are making less than about $50K as a single here in the Bay Area, you are below the poverty line. $50k means you can comfortably afford a roommate and live on the very margins of the region.

This isn't an exaggeration. So when you think "hmm, there are college grads who should be able to get decent jobs complaining about paying for food and housing, then what about the families where people make minimum wage and have 3 jobs and kids, where can they live?"

Then you end up with people who live 90 miles away and commute 2-3 hours to work at the mall in SF.

It is a lot bigger problem than this one millennials rant.

GREAT POST! Unless you know and have lived in the Bay Area you have no idea. Google offered me a great job but it required me to move back to the Bay Area. You ask who turns down Google? Well, folks that know the true COL in the Bay Area.

I personally think the post was an effort to launch the gal's career as a blogger, and from that point of view...I say "Well Played"!

Old 02-21-2016, 12:43 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,489,649 times
Quote:
No it is not. It is required.

A. Millennials don't have home phones. In fact most people under 40 do not have a home phone.
B. You need a phone to get a job! You need to communicate!
C. If you only get one phone number, the best choice is a cell phone
D. If you only had a home phone, how would you get your messages? When was the last time you saw a pay phone?
You also need internet to fully participate in today's economy.
No, you need internet to get a job. Where have you been hiding ?

The majority of applications are now online. But don't worry, they have kiosks in their stores for those that don't have internet access.

All you are doing is repeating what the government has been telling us over and over to justify their lifeline program.
Well these people all now have free smartphones yet they still don't have jobs.

Takes more then owning a phone to get a job.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:02 PM

27,165 posts, read 29,660,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, you need internet to get a job. Where have you been hiding ?

The majority of applications are now online. But don't worry, they have kiosks in their stores for those that don't have internet access.

All you are doing is repeating what the government has been telling us over and over to justify their lifeline program.
Well these people all now have free smartphones yet they still don't have jobs.

Takes more then owning a phone to get a job.
Once you apply for the job, how do they schedule your interview? How do they tell you at the last minute your shift was cancelled because it is slow?

And you can reply to emails from your smart phone! It is easy to find enough internet access to fill out an application.

But these days you need to be available and on call all the time. A landline doesn't cut it. Particularly if you plan to participate in the "white collar" economy.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:04 PM

976 posts, read 1,099,890 times
Quote:
Once you apply for the job, how do they schedule your interview? How do they tell you at the last minute your shift was cancelled because it is slow?

And you can reply to emails from your smart phone! It is easy to find enough internet access to fill out an application.
You can get a $12 monthly plan through Page Plus, limited text and data, but a good deal for those on a budget.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:19 PM

14,310 posts, read 9,067,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Are people still stupid enough to complain about their job on social media?

Yet, you should have a right to complain abut your job, to your friends, family, etc. Even on social media you should be able to vent about anything not just one's job. I would say that business are going to far being nosy when it comes to what their employees are doing with their time. Most people vent to someone about where they work they shouldn't lose their jobs for it.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:27 PM

3,309 posts, read 2,302,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Not all of us do, which will hopefully be reflected in the coming election.
True I apologize for grouping all Americans in the same basket. I also apologize as well our AUD is weaker than USD!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or