Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 11:37 PM

31,631 posts, read 26,469,080 times

Advertisements

Maybe she should have written a review on Glassdoor.com instead.

Yelp Employee Writes Open Letter to CEO, Gets Fired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 12:05 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,703,964 times
She made some valid points. Yelp has a tiered system. Certain full time employees get free food and snacks all day. The customer service reps were scolded for eating the free food. They have ridiculously low wages for our region (along with many other jobs).

But mostly she didn't think it was fair tech workers are stereotyped as well paid, and many people aren't. It is a common refrain in the Bay Area that all tech workers are rolling in the rough and it is just not true. Particularly if you don't have housing secured before the current run up in pricing. A one bedroom apartment near Yelp offices costs about $3000.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:13 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,290,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Maybe she should have written a review on Glassdoor.com instead.

Yelp Employee Writes Open Letter to CEO, Gets Fired
Are people still stupid enough to complain about their job on social media? At least if you're going to do so, be discreet about it (hence why glassdoor is anonymous) and, for the love of god, don't tag the CEO of your company or complain to him directly (did she not know where the HR office was? Or that the CEOs of large companies like Yelp aren't going to waste their time responding to the individual ranting tweets of their underlings?). Many jobs now have a clause that prohibits talking about the specifics (like wages) of your job on social media. That is likely why she got fired, not because she complained but because she complained on social media and was dumb enough to keep her name attached to her whiny tweets.

Not to say her points aren't valid though, IMHO ($12/hr in SF is ridiculously, almost criminally, low, especially for such a large company)...

Old 02-21-2016, 12:20 AM

42,744 posts, read 25,902,439 times
I think most of the tech companies treat lower paid employees like crap. Here's an article about Intel's colored badge system that allows all the well paid workers to get free food and beverages but not the service workers Silicon Valley's poorest workers tell government 'we can't live like this' | Technology | The Guardian

Most of the service workers at Apple, Facebook and Google aren't even employees of those companies, they are contract employees High-tech's service workers are a growing underclass

The only good news is that unions are making inroads with some of these firms and organizing the lowest paid employees, I hope that continues because it's clear that these companies don't have any intention of voluntarily sharing the wealth. Silicon Valley’s Labor Uprising - In These Times

Old 02-21-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Are people still stupid enough to complain about their job on social media? At least if you're going to do so, be discreet about it (hence why glassdoor is anonymous) and, for the love of god, don't tag the CEO of your company or complain to him directly (did she not know where the HR office was? Or that the CEOs of large companies like Yelp aren't going to waste their time responding to the individual ranting tweets of their underlings?). Many jobs now have a clause that prohibits talking about the specifics (like wages) of your job on social media. That is likely why she got fired, not because she complained but because she complained on social media and was dumb enough to keep her name attached to her whiny tweets.

Not to say her points aren't valid though, IMHO ($12/hr in SF is ridiculously, almost criminally, low, especially for such a large company)...
To be honest, I don't think she cared who read it, she just wanted to get the information out there. Who in their right mind would be a good little boy or girl and keep their mouth shut in order to rake in that whopping $733 bi-weekly pay check in the hopes that in a year you 'might' get promoted. Yelp employee gets sacked after "Dear Jeremy" post - SFGate

Old 02-21-2016, 12:41 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,290,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
To be honest, I don't think she cared who read it, she just wanted to get the information out there. Who in their right mind would be a good little boy or girl and keep their mouth shut in order to rake in that whopping $733 bi-weekly pay check in the hopes that in a year you 'might' get promoted. Yelp employee gets sacked after "Dear Jeremy" post - SFGate
Well, now she is getting $0.00 bi-weekly pay checks so...

Trust me, I've been there, am still there, and have ranted/screamed about my job- the key is, I do so anonymously. I don't name drop my company's name on any social media that can be traced back to me (I don't even list my current job on sites like FB or Linkedin, only vague job titles). There are no specifics b/c my job is one of those companies that prohibits talking about company policies on social media. Complaining about a company on social media makes the company look bad, even though they know they look bad on sites like glassdoor, so if an employee is badmouthing them, it's easier to fire them and hire someone new. In the end, Yelp is not going to suffer from this PR mishap but this girl is still out of a job (which is sad b/c it seems like, had she hung on for a year, she could have transferred departments or even moved to AZ). Are people going to want to hire her knowing she's the girl who famously complained about her job and called out her CEO on social media?

Good luck to her, hopefully she moves out of SF and goes somewhere cheaper, but yeah, not the best way to speak out about her bad situation.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Well, now she is getting $0.00 bi-weekly pay checks so...

Trust me, I've been there, am still there, and have ranted/screamed about my job- the key is, I do so anonymously. I don't name drop my company's name on any social media that can be traced back to me (I don't even list my current job on sites like FB or Linkedin, only vague job titles). There are no specifics b/c my job is one of those companies that prohibits talking about company policies on social media. Complaining about a company on social media makes the company look bad, even though they know they look bad on sites like glassdoor, so if an employee is badmouthing them, it's easier to fire them and hire someone new. In the end, Yelp is not going to suffer from this PR mishap but this girl is still out of a job (which is sad b/c it seems like, had she hung on for a year, she could have transferred departments or even moved to AZ). Are people going to want to hire her knowing she's the girl who famously complained about her job and called out her CEO on social media?

Good luck to her, hopefully she moves out of SF and goes somewhere cheaper, but yeah, not the best way to speak out about her bad situation.
But she's not even living in San Francisco, she lives 40 miles away. My guess is that she can get a retail job for $12 within a few miles of where she lives and do better than she was working for Yelp and commuting. Hopefully things will work out with her, it might be that she needs to find a different career, she was an English Lit major and I'm not sure she even finished college, but if she did, maybe she could get a teaching credential at least that has a career path. Here is a link to the actual letter she wrote.

https://medium.com/@taliajane/an-ope...e7a#.gnm6krkn2

Old 02-21-2016, 12:54 AM

298 posts, read 269,127 times
she may be right but complaining to the CEO she was just asking for it. That's what they do when you complain to them. She should have just went about her business quietly and found another job. Or, have him lay her off and get unemployment. Complaining never gets you anywhere in corporate America.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:55 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,703,964 times
She'll likely end up freelancing for social media content. She has the first piece in her portfolio: a viral blog post. Maybe she'll elance herself into a new full time job.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:17 AM

15,961 posts, read 20,920,058 times
Have to love the spin the CEO puts on his response. Deflecting by 'agreeing' that the COL in that area is too high instead of that wages for the area are too low. And pointing out that they are trying to 'help' by opening an additional operation elsewhere, as if that does anything for the employees still in that location. You have to wonder how stupid they think people are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events