Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 12:26 PM

123 posts, read 84,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
There used to be a guy here at work (since retired) that had to have open heart surgery. Here's the kicker: He was so weak, they couldn't put him to sleep during the surgery or they were sure it would kill him immediately. They gave him a paralyzing drug so he couldn't move/twitch during surgery, and did the surgery while he could feel EVERYTHING, yet couldn't move/scream, nothing...

Can you even imagine that? .

I hope your post was a joke. It is incredible ignorance in any case.

I am a retired CRNA (Nurse Anesthetist). No one would ever do that. While there is a rare report of awareness under anesthesia, some verified and some where the patient mistakenly thought he or she would be having general anesthesia when, in fact, it was local with sedation. It is never done deliberately because "someone is too weak". If someone is too weak for anesthesia, that person is definitely too weak to withstand the flood of catecholamines that would result from paralysis and pain.

I can assure you that no doctor or nurse providing anesthesia is going to simply give a paralyzing drug and nothing else. First of all, we don't deliberately torture patients; secondly, the patients wouldn't survive such an experience; and third, the malpractice suits would result in loss of licenses and rates would go even higher.

Is your retired coworker now a multi-millionaire as a result of this surgery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 01:15 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achelois View Post
I hope your post was a joke. It is incredible ignorance in any case.

I am a retired CRNA (Nurse Anesthetist). No one would ever do that. While there is a rare report of awareness under anesthesia, some verified and some where the patient mistakenly thought he or she would be having general anesthesia when, in fact, it was local with sedation. It is never done deliberately because "someone is too weak". If someone is too weak for anesthesia, that person is definitely too weak to withstand the flood of catecholamines that would result from paralysis and pain.

I can assure you that no doctor or nurse providing anesthesia is going to simply give a paralyzing drug and nothing else. First of all, we don't deliberately torture patients; secondly, the patients wouldn't survive such an experience; and third, the malpractice suits would result in loss of licenses and rates would go even higher.

Is your retired coworker now a multi-millionaire as a result of this surgery?

It's NO JOKE, and it really happened back in the '90's in mid-Michigan, I can assure you. I hope you aren't calling me ignorant, as I take offense if so.

The doctors DID do this, and he told me exactly what I posted.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:44 PM

3,701 posts, read 4,845,879 times
Quote:
It's NO JOKE, and it really happened back in the '90's in mid-Michigan, I can assure you. I hope you aren't calling me ignorant, as I take offense if so.

The doctors DID do this, and he told me exactly what I posted.
Come on now! Was it actual open heart surgery or cardiac catheterization (placing a stent)? I've had that done and all I got was a local or something like that. I could watch the screen. They're not going full anesthesia for something like that. Friends, upon hearing of the procedure thought I had heart surgery but I hadn't.

Now my bypass? That was surgery! Full on, out of this world and gone by by nap needed kind of surgery. No Dr in the modern era in a first world country is going to split open a rib cage and start cutting away without anesthesia. Sounds like somebody misunderstood something!

Likewise no Dr in a modern first world country is going to start harvesting organs while somebody is still alive. Prep can mean many different things. I am on the list, waiting for a kidney. I got a call last year but I was fishing so did not get the message until I got back and it was too late for me to even call. The message said they may have a possible match. Basically, it seems they were lining up the possible candidates as to who may get the kidney which may become available. That was part of their prep. Prep does not only mean that a patient/body is going into the OR!

Old 02-27-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Come on now! Was it actual open heart surgery or cardiac catheterization (placing a stent)? I've had that done and all I got was a local or something like that. I could watch the screen. They're not going full anesthesia for something like that. Friends, upon hearing of the procedure thought I had heart surgery but I hadn't.

Now my bypass? That was surgery! Full on, out of this world and gone by by nap needed kind of surgery. No Dr in the modern era in a first world country is going to split open a rib cage and start cutting away without anesthesia. Sounds like somebody misunderstood something!

Likewise no Dr in a modern first world country is going to start harvesting organs while somebody is still alive. Prep can mean many different things. I am on the list, waiting for a kidney. I got a call last year but I was fishing so did not get the message until I got back and it was too late for me to even call. The message said they may have a possible match. Basically, it seems they were lining up the possible candidates as to who may get the kidney which may become available. That was part of their prep. Prep does not only mean that a patient/body is going into the OR!

I didn't misunderstand ANYTHING. It was actual open heart surgery, the full deal. He told me what it felt like to him when they opened his ribs with the spreader, and I was horrified! He said after a bit he actually passed out, but before that, he was fully aware of everything they were doing.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
I didn't misunderstand ANYTHING. It was actual open heart surgery, the full deal. He told me what it felt like to him when they opened his ribs with the spreader, and I was horrified! He said after a bit he actually passed out, but before that, he was fully aware of everything they were doing.
Is it possible they under-anesthetized him and/or he woke during surgery, a phenomenon called "accidental awareness during general anesthesia"? There have been cases where this has happened, and patients have been aware of what's going on and can feel pain. Essentially they are awake, except they cannot move and communicate that they are awake. This is rare, but it happens, and it scares me.

Anesthetic awareness: When you wake up during surgery - CNN.com

Old 02-28-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Is it possible they under-anesthetized him and/or he woke during surgery, a phenomenon called "accidental awareness during general anesthesia"? There have been cases where this has happened, and patients have been aware of what's going on and can feel pain. Essentially they are awake, except they cannot move and communicate that they are awake. This is rare, but it happens, and it scares me.

Anesthetic awareness: When you wake up during surgery - CNN.com

Yes, it's possible that's the way it happened, it actually would make more sense. In any case, he was awake and fully aware during the procedure, until the point where he passed out from the pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events