Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 11:09 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What? Have you ever gone fishing? Even when fishing for food, I guarantee you will likely catch a fish or two that are deemed "illegal" to catch and have to be returned to the water. Should ALL fishermen be charged with animal cruelty?
I know a couple of fishermen. Yes, they fish for sport...and then eat the fish. Which is something a little big different than torturing an animal for nothing more than "fun".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 11:20 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
The only Derp on the guy is he should have kept it for the grill. Shark is my favorite and of those it's a toss up between Mako and Thresher. Noodling for fish is fun but I ain't noodlin for Sharks.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:44 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I know a couple of fishermen. Yes, they fish for sport...and then eat the fish. Which is something a little big different than torturing an animal for nothing more than "fun".
Umm...fishing for sport and fishing to harvest the fish are mutually exclusive. You can't do both at the same time. Either you're going to catch n release or you're going to catch n eat. You can't do both.

Get your panties out of their wad. The shark is fine. I'm sure it has no recollection of what happened to it. Probably just thought a bigger fish was trying to eat him and actually learned a good lesson in nature.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:46 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Sharks are the weeds of the Ocean. No care
Do you know anything about the food chain?

What an idiotic post. Get rid of sharks and see what happens to the ocean.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:29 PM

208 posts, read 170,313 times
Wow, THAT'S obnoxious!! He better watch his back next time he takes a swim, the shark's mom may do a "JAWS" number on him!!!

Old 03-08-2016, 11:17 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Umm...fishing for sport and fishing to harvest the fish are mutually exclusive. You can't do both at the same time. Either you're going to catch n release or you're going to catch n eat. You can't do both.
Um! You absolutely can fish for sport and be keeping fish for the table as well! So yes, you can do both at the same time. Sport fishing is a multi-billion dollar industry in the US alone. Much of it is spent sportfishing to at least try to put something back on the table.

One may enter a sportfishing tournament (For example a marlin tournament) where most fish are being released but if you think one you have will make the minimum weight and get you on the leader board then the true end goal for that particular sportfishing tournament is to kill it and bring it back!

You may be targeting multiple species with the intent to release some types but box others. Such is the case offshore fishing targeting marlin and tuna where the marlin may be released but the tuna get boxed.

Or there may be size/slot limits in which case a vast majority of the fish are being released but if one is in the legal limits, it goes in the box. Such may be the case with rockfish, red drum and bluefin tuna.

One may go shark fishing for makos and intend to keep his one per boat limit if he feels it will hit 100lbs or so. Might take that first thing in the morning and continue catching and releasing for the rest of the day.

There are many other examples but basically recreational fishing is sport fishing. Some keep their catch. Some release. some do both!

Last edited by marlinfshr; 03-08-2016 at 11:28 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 11:24 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I make a living "torturing" animals just for fun. The more they jump, the more fun I have! The fish will be fine. I've released the stupid creatures only to see them turn right back afterwards and eat another bait and get caught again.

I remember an overnight tuna trip with a shark right by the boat. it literally ate most of our hook baits as they went in the water. It would get hooked then bite through after a few moments or would just break off as we clamped down on it. Stupid animal must have had a dozen hooks in it's mouth. Yes, we could see them fine. Yep, that thing was sure being bothered.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:30 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Because he had no intention of eating it and only caused it stress..
Some people eat them, some kinds of sharks; i would have taken a bite.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:54 AM

3,826 posts, read 1,780,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
People will never learn. Leave the wildlife alone for crying out loud.

Well said, and they probably would have blamed the shark if he did attack or retaliate.

after watching the video, it was really cruel the way he dragged that animal out of the water, the shark was clearly terrified. There needs to be animal cruelty charges for this behavior.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:17 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Well, it's not too surprising on the scale of things.

This has probably been a common event for decades underwater:
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xd/179...E8356829A9C9D9
Find a puffer fish, make him "blow up", for the entertainment of the humans. The thing that a lot of people don't appreciate is that for the puffer fish, this isn't his chance to show off for the humans. He's SCARED and doing it in defense of his life.

These kind of lessons, however, are often not known by most people. I think I first learned of it as a child reading in a "Ranger Rick" magazine but the lesson was really nailed home in only the last decade or so. Perhaps I learned it, appreciated it when I was doing pollution studies with fish where stress is measured by the stress hormones introduced into their blood. (ie, no thank you to those who think stress is only a therapy issue)

Terrible that he did this? Probably so but this is really only the tip of the iceberg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events