Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 11:47 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I have a neighbor downstairs who has such a service animal. A big barking lunging pit bull with his balls still attached. Management wont dare question her due to fear of a lawsuit, because she apparently showed them "a note".
Yes, there is a lot of abuse of the whole "service dog" thing. I work in a public building and we have the same issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 12:04 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,456 times
I'm tired of all these selfish people bringing pigs, giant dogs and a turkey on planes because they're "service animals". What's next, a boa constrictor service animal? How about a tiger?

service dogs are primarily labs or golden retrievers.

I also can't stand people who bring dogs into grocery stores and put them in the front of the cart - and they are clearly not disabled. So selfish. I love dogs, but this behavior is out of control.

back to the OP - this story infuriates me. Since when do animal rights supersede human rights? and then passengers clapped. Stay classy people.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95...refer_homepage

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...rt-animal.html

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/11...s-pkg-erin.cnn

Old 02-27-2016, 01:16 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
It's horribly unfortunate when both parties have the right to occupy a space but are totally incompatible. I also have a hard time believing that people were clapping at that poor little guys misfortune. It's not everyday that you see a service dog on a plane either. I guess it was just one of those perfect storms.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:43 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Therapy dogs are supposed to be excruciatingly clean (teeth and all) when they go out in public. I'm surprised the boy was even affected.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:37 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
I know it was a service dog, however I have been on flights where grandma or princess have there small little dogs on there laps and I just can't help and think, when has animals rights to not be in the cargo area of the plane, become more important then the people with Allergy's?
When that animal is not a pet and it's someone's trained service dog. Service dogs and their handlers are a team, they are always together, on the few occasions when my mom has to leave her guide dog, the dog is miserable. My mom was in the hospital earlier this year and so I'd bring her dog to visit during the day, but at night with me she was miserable. She kept getting up to look for her owner.

I can't imagine the distress a service animal would suffer being in a crate under a plane not knowing what's happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Nobody is a bigger dog lover than I am. But there is something wrong when the human and his family is forced to leave and wait 2 days while the dog remains on the plane.
Its not about being a dog lover. A service animal is not a pet, it is a highly skilled, intensely trained tool to help those with disabilities live a full life.

I'm not even sure if it would be legal under ADA laws to remove the service animal over the other passenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't think animals should be allowed to fly in the cabin for any reason. There are now too many people insisting on bringing them, and a lot of planes are small and cramped.

Somehow we survived for how long without pets everywhere in public places where humans are served.
Again, a service dog is not a pet. What do you suggest a blind person with a guide dog should do if they want to fly somewhere?

Just leave their guide dog at home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Oh my goodness, how could an accidental brushing away of a critter that was at my feet, a totally unexpected event in a grocery store, possibly be considered a criminal act. I mean, can anyone be expected to visualize a rat, cat or dog wandering the aisles while I look at my pampelmouse? It would be a sub-conscious reaction due to the total surprise of the unexpected.

Every. Single. Time.
Just a heads up, service dogs cost tens of thousands of dollars. The organization my mother works with, her dog costs about $40,000 and most organizations that train service animals keep an insurance policy for them.

So go ahead and kick someones service dog, but don't be surprised if you get sued for injuries and arrested for animal abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I like this story because both sides are stupid. There is no reason to have a dog on a plane. None. What type of "service" do you need while strapped a in a chair for a few hours? If you can't live a few hours without a dog strapped to your leg then just stay home.
What do you suggest a blind person does? Oh that's right, they can just sit at home and do nothing for the rest of their lives.

It's always so easy for those who don't have a disability to brush off the legitimate reasons why one has a service dog and the amazing work they do.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:40 PM

79 posts, read 53,896 times
Anyone else surprised this non-story features three prominent corporations?

I'm sure the people were clapping because the plane was finally able to depart and not at the kid. I'm sure the corporations were clapping at this bilge making news because advertising costs $$$$, but non-news about dogs and kids is free.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:52 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Especially in winter, when people are more likely to have on outerwear and woolly clothes, there's got to be more pet dander in an airplane from dog and cat owners' contact transfer as there is from any one actual dog. I think in some cases like this the reaction is partially psychosomatic from seeing the dog. Allergies and asthma suck but it's simply not realistic to expect an airline to produce an environment safe for people with severe allergies, whether or not animals are actually allowed in the cabin.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
It is disgusting to have a fur bearing animal among fresh food. BTW, it is not the old lady I would kick... that is assault and illegal. It is her lil' precious mutt that would yelp, as accidents do happen when critters wander around my feet. Oooooppps.

Yeah, I know, it is a bit childish, and I would not truly hurt the dog, but certainly I am not above causing Granny Bluehair thinking I did. I just get so angry at those who abuse the system for their own selfish reasons.
It's not the dog's fault, why the hell would you even think of "accidentally" running over the dog's foot with your cart or whatever? If you have a problem with an apparent service dog or seemingly random dog in a store or another place where dogs usually are not allowed, alert an employee, like a manager. IMO it is rude to say something directly to the other customer, with the dog. You don't know what medical condition they may have that required that dog. Many are invisible - like epilepsy (well, invisible until a seizure happens but that's why the dog is there - for when it happens).

IMHO, the rights of one with an allergy shouldn't trump the rights of everyone else in this type of situation. This kid had an allergy, and he's apparently the only one with an allergy so bad that he had to leave. So why should the passenger and her service dog leave? She needs her dog on that flight with her, evidently, but the kid likely doesn't need to be on that exact flight. Sure, it sucks, but it is what it is. It's possible that many flights will have at least one passenger with a dog allergy, so what - is the person and her service dog just never supposed to fly? It's a tough situation because you could also easily say, is the person with an allergy never supposed to fly because many flights may have a dog or dog dander? But perhaps the answer to THAT is yes since someone with a dog or pet allergy is in the minority. Why cater to the minority in this case? ONE person is that badly allergic to the service dog, of all the people on the plane, so why remove the dog? Logically, you'd remove the allergic passenger.

It's like when people demand no one eats peanuts on a plane, and the plane not serve them because they have an allergy... so you're going to stop every passenger from bringing their own peanuts onto the plane in their carry-on or pocket? Yeah, good luck with that. People with allergies suffer sometimes. I have pretty bad seasonal allergies. I am miserable during all of spring. Do I try to ban trees? I am allergic to many flowers. Do I try to stop restaurants or stores from having flowers on display for decoration? People need to pick their battles. It's not all about them and their special needs all the time.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:40 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I'm tired of all these selfish people bringing pigs, giant dogs and a turkey on planes because they're "service animals". What's next, a boa constrictor service animal? How about a tiger?

service dogs are primarily labs or golden retrievers.
Amazing - really? I had no idea - guess all the german shepherds will be surprised - along with the standard poodles and chinese crested which are known for not setting off allergies - and my friend with her doberman service dog who alerted to a sudden and extreme low blood sugar without training within 24 hours of my friend adopting her. Primarily labs or goldens? nope. I'd say to check your facts but you are sorely lacking in those.

Quote:
I also can't stand people who bring dogs into grocery stores and put them in the front of the cart - and they are clearly not disabled. So selfish. I love dogs, but this behavior is out of control.
Wow, now you are the arbiter of who is disabled - just by looking. Maybe you should wag your tail and walk like a dog and you could get a job as a service dog!

Quote:
back to the OP - this story infuriates me. Since when do animal rights supersede human rights? and then passengers clapped. Stay classy people. ....
If you've been reading, you'd understand it's not animal vs human rights - it's about the rights of a handicapped person to live a somewhat "normal" life by virtue of having a service dog vs the rights of those with allergies. Many of us see both sides of that coin, but you've hit the nail on the head by just deciding that people who don't LOOK disabled are selfish.

Misinformation - there is no such service "animal" as a pig, turkey, cat, etc. Those are not service animals and not given the same protection under the ADA. It is service dog or service mini-horse. Not monkey, not goat, not an ass/donkey. They can all be emotional support animals. What is so hard to understand about service dogs vs emotional support animals? Why can't you - and others - get it straight?

I have been on planes where, after a lengthy (7 hours) delay sitting on the plane in the queue for departure, the passengers clapped. It was cheering for the getting going.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:20 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
They have 12 children?!

And a GoFund me account...

And the child became allergic to the dog because of stress? I'm not a doctor, but I don't think that is how allergies work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events