Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 08:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Nevertheless, there are certain obnoxious cultural trends that point to societal narcissism... you know, like dogs everywhere to the point of literallly thinking they're children
I've brought my dog on a plane before, not because I thought she was my child, but because it was the easiest way to get her to the other side of the country. The airlines offer a service and I paid to use that service.

The dog replaces any carry on items and is stored under the seat. Last I checked, no one was storing their children in cages underneath airplane seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 08:14 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Then by the law of averages you would be harassing legitimately handicap people some of the time. If you do so, may you get whatever the law allows. Who are you to go around demanding justification from anyone for their service animal?
He wouldn't. He just likes to pretend he would on internet forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
2015 Dog sh- smeared on sidewalks everywhere. Apt. complex lawns become dense latrines for dogs.
Sounds to me like you need to move to a better neighborhood.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I've seen a few threads on other forums where people have found the parents on Facebook. Guess who has 2 dogs at home according to their Facebook...
I saw that too. All these people going on about dogs, and the mother says she doesn't know what caused the reaction since they have 2 dogs at home. But I guess if they said the kid had a reaction to something he ate or touched on the airport, they wouldn't be getting all these freebies.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:31 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I saw that too. All these people going on about dogs, and the mother says she doesn't know what caused the reaction since they have 2 dogs at home. But I guess if they said the kid had a reaction to something he ate or touched on the airport, they wouldn't be getting all these freebies.
Very true. Amazing how companies will just give away stuff without looking into people and seeing if it's true.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:55 PM

5 posts, read 2,782 times
Nine out of ten times these "service pets" are not even that. People just want to bring their little pookie with them on a trip and say they are. A lot of people have service pets now for anxiety. Seriously? Well, whether or not people really need these pets to help with emotional issues they should have had the person with the pet get off. People should always come before animals. I suffer from Bipolar depression and anxiety and I do not need an animal to help me through my day. Most times my dogs drive me more nuts because they just add to what I have to take care of.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:56 PM

5 posts, read 2,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I am the owner of a service dog. I once was asked, "but what about the people with allergies to a dog? Do they have to leave the store because you come in?" I had no answer for that woman. And I do still think about it. It's a dilemma. On the one hand is a person whose life/safety depends on the dog's presence and on the other hand is a person whose health is negatively impacted by that presence.

I have no solution. I need my dog. I also care about others and do not wish those with allergies to suffer as I have and still do when hit with a trigger.
What type of service dog do you have?

Old 02-29-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momsterraqnvic View Post
Nine out of ten times these "service pets" are not even that. People just want to bring their little pookie with them on a trip and say they are. A lot of people have service pets now for anxiety. Seriously? Well, whether or not people really need these pets to help with emotional issues they should have had the person with the pet get off. People should always come before animals. I suffer from Bipolar depression and anxiety and I do not need an animal to help me through my day. Most times my dogs drive me more nuts because they just add to what I have to take care of.
The dog doesn't need to be a service dog to be on an airplane. The stories all talk about multiple dogs on the plane, so it's not even about service dogs.

But even if it was, who are you to judge others on needing one? Just because you don't need a service dog, doesn't mean others also don't need one.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:32 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momsterraqnvic View Post
What type of service dog do you have?
She's a mountain cur. But I don't think you wanted to know that, I think you want to know what my handicap(s) is(are). She is a hearing dog mostly.

BTW, my dog is not a pet. She is a service dog. We have another dog and he IS a pet. Pets don't have a job. However, all my pets (7 total at this time) are trained, including my cats and now the new rescued kittens. My service dog is treated differently than the others-- I demand more of her. I expect immediate obedience from her at the same that I expect independent action and thinking from her. It's a balancing act that she does well. I know to listen to her when she refuses to obey because she hears.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:47 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Very true. Amazing how companies will just give away stuff without looking into people and seeing if it's true.
They do it because they don't have the balls to NOT. Knowing people go to the media and like to file lawsuits, they try to quickly and often quietly diffuse the situation with offers of free things and groveling apologies even if they did nothing wrong. I guess they see the other option, not doing anything, as possibly damaging their public reputation. Nowadays there's "outrage" over everything.

IMO the airline did nothing wrong and has no reason to give away free stuff. Parents are pathetic - cancer or not. Those dying of cancer can still be pathetic pricks, even if you do feel bad for their illness. Dying people don't automatically get a free pass for being a d*** like some posters here seem to think.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:17 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
I've seen a few threads on other forums where people have found the parents on Facebook. Guess who has 2 dogs at home according to their Facebook...

Busted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events