Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 11:32 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodi View Post
Girl forms unbreakable bond with her pet duck - CBS News

The above story may sound cute, but to anyone familiar with keeping ducks, it'll make you cringe.

First, they go out and buy a SINGLE DUCKLING for their young child. Ducklings are happiest with other ducklings and most places won't sell you just one for that reason. The girl was FOUR YEARS OLD when they bought HER the duckling! I hope to God they read up on basic duck care, but I'm not holding my breath.

Second, the girl (who is 5, not 2) can apparently not leave the house without "Snowflake".

Is the word "No" not in your vocabulary?

Plus the girls whole "I'm his mommy!" thing is super creepy to me. When she was interviewed she was ADAMENT that she was the duck's "Mommy". I don't have kids, but is that normal for that age group?
That's an extremely happy lil girl and a well cared for duck. Let it go...what is bizarre is your reaction.
Surely there are other current events subjects worthy of your ire. Thread Fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 11:43 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Thread Fail.
Come on it was mildly entertaining and enough of a distraction from all those other "worthy" threads weighing the values of white guilt, black culpability, or whether the nation is headed for heaven or hell, that we all took time to drop in and give our .10¢ adjusted for inflation.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:41 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
I agree with the OP. While this all seems harmless, I'd be more concerned about a child who believes she can dictate what happens in her life. Have the duck all she wants, but she needs to understand that she can't take the duck everywhere she goes. The parents should teach her what's appropriate and say "no" when needed.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:43 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Some of you guys are being ridiculous, IMO. This is no different than people who have pigs for pets or any other animal. He looks like a happy duck to me. There are many things people do to animals that cause me great concern and sadness, loving an animal to the point of pampering and doting on it too much is not one of them however, sorry.

Yes! Kudos and a rep. Pets come in all shapes and sizes. I thought the two of them together was adorable

I raised two baby ducks that were separated from their mother. They were fun and grew up to be wild. I saw one about a year after it flew away sitting on our roof looking at my fish pond. Bad birdie, I never saw it again after that, nor have I ever seen on one our roof since.

I think having a bird in a cage is much sadder then having a happy duck that actually gets to be a duck as well.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:49 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Well when all else fails there is always...

Roast Duck Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

I'm sorry but that as serious as I can take this issue

LololRotf!

Old 02-27-2016, 01:52 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,560 times
Viaduct?

Old 02-27-2016, 02:16 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodi View Post
Girl forms unbreakable bond with her pet duck - CBS News

The above story may sound cute, but to anyone familiar with keeping ducks, it'll make you cringe.

First, they go out and buy a SINGLE DUCKLING for their young child. Ducklings are happiest with other ducklings and most places won't sell you just one for that reason. The girl was FOUR YEARS OLD when they bought HER the duckling! I hope to God they read up on basic duck care, but I'm not holding my breath.

Second, the girl (who is 5, not 2) can apparently not leave the house without "Snowflake".

Is the word "No" not in your vocabulary?

Plus the girls whole "I'm his mommy!" thing is super creepy to me. When she was interviewed she was ADAMENT that she was the duck's "Mommy". I don't have kids, but is that normal for that age group?
woah

Such duck hatred.

I walked into the exes backyard the other day and was to see a bunch of ducks and geese staring at me.

These critters have no FEELINGS. They couldn't give a toss if you were a crocodile or a little girl as long as you Feed them.

I had a pet chicken when I was very young and I was deeply upset when she died. She was a bantam called Banty and I used to fuss over her even though she wasn't allowed in the house. She ended up under the grapevine, lived quite a happy life for a chicken...in fact, a highly privileged life for a chicken having her own tiny human maid. I used to put blankets on her when I thought she was cold, slip hot water bottles under her while roosting etc.

She just sat about passively blinking away. Couldnt have cared less.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:19 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Viaduct?
Why-a no horse? Why-a no chicken?

Old 02-27-2016, 02:52 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I made my kids wait until they were older to have a pet because I didn't want it to be neglected and I didn't want the responsibility. This duck is not neglected. The family enjoys its presence. I don't see a problem with it.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
They take the duck swimming in a pond. It can swim away if it wants to. It doesn't. The little girl calls and it comes right back to her. Of its own free will. It's "duck's choice."

I bet there are some places they don't take the duck. They probably said he went everywhere because it made a good story.

I cracked up too when the reporter asked "When did you know?" and the kid replied, "That he's a duck?"

I don't believe in taking in exotic pets but this is not one of those. The duck looked happy, the kid looked happy, everyone looked happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events