Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 08:02 PM

619 posts, read 575,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anika783 View Post
I think it's a tragedy, but I don't find the mother at fault. I think it's reasonable to expect that one's house won't burn down on any given night. For the people who say a toddler should not be left alone, that would only be a reasonable expectation if there were convenient 24/7 free childcare facilities available where the mother could've left her toddler.
What?? Did you read the article? The "mother" was out partying (!!) and didn't get home til 9.30 in the morning.

A child should not be left home alone period. If there are no free (government paid for by my tax dollars) facilities, then you do what I did, what millions of other parents do- you stay home. You trade baby sitting favors with a neighbor. You barter. You figure something out but you do not ever leave a baby home alone ever ever ever.

I raised my son by my self. Was it always easy? No. But I never left him alone. He is my responsibility and if that means that buy myself less or cheaper clothing and makeup then that's what I do

I am sorry for this tragedy but the mother is most definitely at fault
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 08:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
I think it's a tragedy, but I don't find the mother at fault. I think it's reasonable to expect that one's house won't burn down on any given night. For the people who say a toddler should not be left alone, that would only be a reasonable expectation if there were convenient 24/7 free childcare facilities available where the mother could've left her toddler.
This woman stayed out all night. There is no reason to leave a toddler at home alone for that length of time. Even if the house did not burn down, toddlers need food and drink which they cannot necessarily get by themselves at 2.

No, a mother does not need free 24/7 childcare facilities so she can go out and party.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:08 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
As an avid parrot and corvid lover, I'll say this: not even birds leave their young unattended.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:10 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, we're always hearing about those single moms who are doctors and lawyers who leave toddlers unattended.

What she does for a living and her status in life certainly has to do with what occurred.
Yes, of course, a medical doctor, or a lawyer would have more intelligence and the ability to make arrangements for care. Also, they would be less likely to go off and party all night, perhaps using drugs.

My point only reflects the relevance of punishment, such being the state has a higher duty; this women did not torture the child, she was reckless and negligent, needs to be punished, yet not killed!

Old 02-29-2016, 09:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
Yes, of course, a medical doctor, or a lawyer would have more intelligence and the ability to make arrangements for care. Also, they would be less likely to go off and party all night, perhaps using drugs.

My point only reflects the relevance of punishment, such being the state has a higher duty; this women did not torture the child, she was reckless and negligent, needs to be punished, yet not killed!

She didn't torture the child? Imagine the fear of that poor baby in her final moments, and to die alone and afraid like that. That sure sounds like torture to me.

The person who gets behind the wheel drunk and takes out a family of four didn't plan on doing that, but the results are the same. This woman didn't intend for her child to die such a horrible death, but her actions caused it.

I'm sorry I even heard about this, it makes me physically ill.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:54 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post

I agree but we all hear these types of comments that are more kneejerk and harsh then they should be. The mother had poor judgement but wouldn't we see the same if she was working whether it was stripping, turning tricks or some actual legitmate job or even school? It's a tragedy and VERY poor judgement, but I don't think proper endangerment.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:03 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Your twisted way of thinking takes the prize here tonight, even more than the poster who thinks the child is better off dead than grow up with a mother like that

If a person chooses to have a child and chooses to keep the child, then she or he needs to choose to protect that child, NOT GO OFF AND LEAVE THE CHILD alone and in possible danger.

Inconvenient for the parent? Well TOO BAD! 27/7 free childcare? Paid for by WHOM? What planet are you on?

Old 02-29-2016, 10:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Your twisted way of thinking takes the prize here tonight, even more than the poster who thinks the child is better off dead than grow up with a mother like that

If a person chooses to have a child and chooses to keep the child, then she or he needs to choose to protect that child, NOT GO OFF AND LEAVE THE CHILD alone and in possible danger.

Inconvenient for the parent? Well TOO BAD! 27/7 free childcare? Paid for by WHOM? What planet are you on?
Is it foreseeable that a random electric fire or a fire from another apartment unit would happen? Not entirely but somewhat possible, I'll give you that. The mother shouldn't have let the kid alone but her leaving the kid alone wasn't a pure mitigating factor of this death. How many babies die when a parent, guardian or sitter is sleeping?

Old 02-29-2016, 10:25 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
Stripper Arrested For Child Endangerment When Daughter Dies In Fire | Bossip

What a scum bag and horrid mother, if it were up to me I'd put her in a building, tie her up, and watch her burn to death!

And where is the father? What did he do to prevent the accident?

Old 02-29-2016, 10:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Is it foreseeable that a random electric fire or a fire from another apartment unit would happen? Not entirely but somewhat possible, I'll give you that. The mother shouldn't have let the kid alone but her leaving the kid alone wasn't a pure mitigating factor of this death. How many babies die when a parent, guardian or sitter is sleeping?
What are you not getting? You think it's OK to leave a 2 year old that can't get food and drink on their own alone for hours and hours.

That if there hadn't been a fire everything was OK with this situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events