Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 07:58 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

Ridiculous that evictions are so slow to happen legally. If any changes happen, it should make it happen faster.

I became a landlord by default. I didn't want to be and still don't. My tenant is a friend and I basically told her before she signed a lease that if she pays, she stays, if she don't, she won't. I also clearly told her I would not sustain financial hardship caused by her, and I am not opposed to breaking a few laws along the way. I also reminded her I have friends in low places, including my boyfriend at the time that had just been released from prison after a 8 year stint. I never have issues collecting rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 08:10 AM

140 posts, read 124,666 times
It's not just housing cost which takes a major bite out of net disposable household income. The other is healthcare. For 25 years healthcare remained at 4% growth. After Obamacare it is now at 6%. Thats a 50% increase. Add in the rent increase and most households are spending more than 50% of their income on these two items.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:19 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Being evicted for months of non-payment isn't insidious at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovtinAAqb_Y

Old 03-06-2016, 11:26 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Then maybe you should have done better pre-screening.
Why? So he can also be accussed of "racial profiling"?

Old 03-06-2016, 11:30 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
High costs/greed

Old 03-07-2016, 02:44 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Easy solution to not being evicted. Pay your rent and abide by the rules in your lease.

Amazing how that works.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:39 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
I listened to an interview with the author today on NPR's "On Point." The show has both a web site and a facebook page.

Interestingly, the one success story was of a single mom who said she decided to take what ever housing was offered and stick with it, to build a good rental history. She also decided to take a part time job and keep it. In addition, she decided to get her GED and attend a junior college to get a marketable certificate.

Simply, what she did was start making good choices. Two years later, her life, and that of her kids, is going pretty well.

But, the author went on about evictions not being the fault of the renter. From what I've seen, most of the time it is definitely the tenants fault!

Old 03-07-2016, 08:40 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCurtisEstes View Post
Thank god when I was a landlord here in Colorado the 3-Day Notice would usually do the trick. The eviction process would take approx. 30 days if all the steps were followed (per law) to get the bum out.

In California I hear they can live rent free for at least a year (?)!! Must be a lot of Dems there, huh?
I'm a landlord.

Here in Pennsylvania usually eviction takes 2 months ... but it can drag on for 3 months.

Most of us landlords require a pretty hefty security deposit and that lessens the possibility of the place being trashed.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Easy solution to not being evicted. Pay your rent and abide by the rules in your lease.

Amazing how that works.

??? ??? ??? ???

That usually works as long as your job provides stable work hours and income. It tend to not work well when you're paying more than half your income on rent and then your work hours are cut (Obamacare) or you lose your job or you get sick (or your kid gets sick) and lose pay because you can't work. And no, if you're paying more than half your income on rent it's unlikely you're going to have adequate savings to cover income gaps.

"Renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property."

Old 03-07-2016, 08:52 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I'm a landlord.

Here in Pennsylvania usually eviction takes 2 months ... but it can drag on for 3 months.

Most of us landlords require a pretty hefty security deposit and that lessens the possibility of the place being trashed.
In my e,perience, 15+ years, a security deposit is a throw-away, like a Solo cup. Ive had very fee occasions where I've had to return a security deposit. 99% of the time the damage is far beyond the deposit. And we screen to the best of our abilities (credit, rental and criminal histories).

I could go into my theories but that is not what this thread is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events