Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 08:40 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,371,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
They're not paying rent. Why on earth would you require a landlord to pay for MORE things that will never be paid for?

I think stealing is appalling. And that is exactly what this is. The tenant, by not paying rent as agreed upon, is stealing from the landlord. Not all landlord's are evil slumlords. Many are just regular people that have a rental to supplement their income. That income that is now compromised because of someone not paying.

What if your employer decided to withhold your paycheck? You'd think that was wrong.

Zoning is stealing too. It's just that the Property Class has written the rules to make some forms of stealing acceptable.

“If we want to fix poverty, we have to address the fact that poverty isn’t just a product of low income. It’s a product of extractive markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
do you have any idea how long it takes to evict someone? it could take YEARS. All that time, they're not paying rent, mortgage, etc.

Foreclosure could take years. Eviction usually takes weeks; in Oregon usually less than one month.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Don't forget that once you have informed them of the eviction they feel like it is their duty to trash the place and believe me most do. I have done extensive credit checks, as well as background checks but some people just think it is their right to get something for free. Once that is taken away they have no morals.

“If we want to fix poverty, we have to address the fact that poverty isn’t just a product of low income. It’s a product of extractive markets.”

Extraction usually works in the other direction.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCurtisEstes View Post
X2 on the above post!

I used to look inside their cars when they were looking through the house prior to signing any lease. Your house will look like the inside of their car after 6 months. I did NOT want to see cigarette butts in the ashtray (house was 'non-smoking') or piles of crap throughout the car.

I also would take a drive by their current residence to see what my yard would look like in 6 months too.

You can learn quite a lot just by doing these things. How come there are 2 dogs at their current place growling at me thru the fence and they said "no" to the question of owning any pets?

NEXT!!

??? ??? ??? ??? I rent a room in a house with several others. I have ZERO control over who else lives here or what they do with or to the yard. How are their (in)actions relevant to my rental app?

Old 03-03-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I often find myself not sympathetic to these stories. I've never experienced the inner city poor. My experiences are more the people who are closer to the edge, but have some choices or options and chose to make bad ones. These people often had the same relatives experiences and chances I had. I was a long term planner and they were not. It was/is not society keeping them down. They alone made the choice. A few people did have something catastrophic happen that would have been successful.

Raising the minimum wage is only temporarily helpful for a minimum wage worker. Overall, it eventually hurts everyone else. Back when I was a teen, my parents emphasized minimum wage jobs as a way to get a little experience and pocket change. It was a way to say work harder or this is where you will be for the rest of your life.

Since minimum wage jobs generally suck qualitatively, many minimum wage workers do work hard, and working harder doesn't elevate them.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
As a Landlord and Property Manager it is important to realize Eviction is the end of a long and costly legal process... it doesn't happen overnight or even in a couple of weeks in my SF Bay Area city.

Tenants have many avenues for help... free legal being at the top to city and church groups with rent assistance... plus thousands of families here live in subsidized housing and some still get evicted for breaking the rules.

For the record I have never been allowed to put someone's belongings on the street...

For a very little dollar amount a tenant can use/occupy a very valuable property which is typical in the SF Bay Area.

It can be a minefield for owners...

I had one eviction where the family promised to come and get their things... they didn't... so the next day I loaded it all up inside a enclosed trailer I had... about 6 months later I get a contacted by a lawyer that said I had illegally disposed of tenant property and they wanted to be reimbursed.

Told the lawyer I had no idea what he was talking about and I certainly did not dispose of property... told him I had stored it and would deliver anywhere in the city as long as all of it went... I think he just about fell out of his chair.

Anyway... I show up and the tenants start cherry picking... said NO... everything goes... they said most was garbage... soiled recliners and such...

They were not to happy as everything single thing they had left behind was placed on the lawn of their new section 8 home... even wastebaskets just as they had left them... took plenty of pictures and that was the end of that.

??? ??? Where I live free legal is limited to those below 100% of poverty level.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:56 AM

17,311 posts, read 11,166,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Some people do not know where to go or what to do . Including me . In my case it was an apartment that had a rent increase so incredible that as of this writing half the complex is empty. We had been having large increases the past 3 years that we could handle if we were planning on STAYING but the last increase was shocking and people started scattering all over trying to find places open that would dovetail with the end of their leases.

ALOT of us barely had the money to pay the rent / pay a new deposit and another rent all in one month when we hadn't planned to move at all .

They will hold apts about 2 weeks in my area w /deposit . In 2008 it was 30 days with a deposit .
We were seriously looking at having to live in the car a few weeks to AVOID having some sort of eviction on our record and both of us are employed which is ridiculous .
We'd lived there for years and it was until the last year well within our means .
The flip side to this is that many people who rent out a home are far from wealthy and have a mortgage to pay on that house too. Why is it their responsibility to overextend themselves and fall behind on a mortgage payment causing their credit rating to fall or worse because the person they rent to can't or won't pay the rent? Eviction laws in most states are heavily in the favor of the person that rents giving them ample time to find a new place to live. If they can't find a new place to live for whatever reason in a fair amount of time, that's not the fault of the landlord.
To say or imply that evictions are some method of one sided conspiracy against the poor is unfair and not true. It takes money and time to have someone evicted and is usually the last thing a landlord wants to go through knowing that a person that is being evicted will may trash the house and destroy as much of it as possible with little to no compensation for this. Security deposits don't even come close to making repairs to the extensive damages that some renters do.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Whoever said Fl was a fast eviction must not have been dealing with the situation I dealt with. It took me a year to get them out and they never paid a dime, legally. My children's dead father left a house to be rented out for their benefit. I had that responsibility. These people know all the tricks to stay in the house and they pull them all. Usually, when they left, they stripped out all the copper to the house, took the refrigerator, the stove, threw the dishwasher out in the yard, let dogs and cats live on the carpets, stopped up the toilets or ripped them out and left rotting food and/or dirty diapers throughout the house. And, that is just for starters. I couldn't wait for the last child to turn 18, she was 3 when her father passed.

I have landlord's as tax clients. It is a never ending battle for the one's I have trying to get and keep good paying tenants.

A man that works for me, his daughters' family stripped a house of everything, the stove, refrigerator, a/c units, hot water heater, copper tubing, even the motor for an irrigation pump. He said the landlord wouldn't fix stuff.........

Yes, that is a problem when the rent is too damn high and people are paying half their income on rent.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
There could also be a thread titled "America's Insidious Disrespectful Tenant Problem." It seems a majority of tenants are not considerate of property owners. And it has gotten much worse in the last ten to fifteen years.

I no longer rent a house I have available. And I only rented to women in similar work as I do. I tried to be careful. Several friends who had rentals do everything they can to get the tenant to purchase, and are effectively reducing their rental inventory. I hear the same from others and in articles.

If the bad tenants are a minority, they sure are making it rough on any good ones.

Got Fair Housing violation?

Old 03-03-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Why is this a surprise, given that in so many cities incomes have not kept up with rents?

Because They (Landlords) Can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events