Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 10:23 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

FREDERICKSBURG, Va. - Two volunteer Stafford County firefighters have been suspended after they transported an 18-month old child to the hospital in a fire engine. The father of the little girl tells FOX 5 he is grateful for the actions of those two first responders, who may have saved his daughter's life.

Stafford Co. volunteer firefighters suspended for transporting child to hospital in fire engine - Story | WTTG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 11:00 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Hard to say. Luckily the girl turned out fine and didn't suffer cardiac arrest, for example, or something in the truck because it's possible they would not have been able to save her without proper equipment in the basic "non-transport unit" truck. Then the town/county could and would probably face a lawsuit from the parents. I assume this is why this seemingly stupid rule exists in the first place. Since everything turned out fine, it's easy to say, wow how stupid! Suspended for doing their jobs and getting her help. But had it not turned out fine, this could have been a totally different story. There are probably a variety of complications that could have occurred that the firefighters were likely not prepared for (lacked the equipment to deal with) and maybe not even trained for.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:18 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Hard to say. Luckily the girl turned out fine and didn't suffer cardiac arrest, for example, or something in the truck because it's possible they would not have been able to save her without proper equipment in the basic "non-transport unit" truck. Then the town/county could and would probably face a lawsuit from the parents. I assume this is why this seemingly stupid rule exists in the first place. Since everything turned out fine, it's easy to say, wow how stupid! Suspended for doing their jobs and getting her help. But had it not turned out fine, this could have been a totally different story. There are probably a variety of complications that could have occurred that the firefighters were likely not prepared for (lacked the equipment to deal with) and maybe not even trained for.
Are you serious?? According to the article The firefighters confirmed that there was no proper medical unit nearby before they decided to transport her to the hospital. How in the world can anyone find fault in what they did? The article even states that there was no specific written policy that was violated. They literally had two choices:

1. Stand there and do nothing for the child. In which case there would be no proper equipment to care for the child anyway.

2. Take her to the hospital asap where there would be proper equipment and staff to give the girl a fighting chance.

They did the most sensible thing possible given the circumstances and are being unjustly punished for it.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:30 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
These guys should receive a commendation, not a suspension!

Old 03-06-2016, 11:31 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Are you serious?? According to the article The firefighters confirmed that there was no proper medical unit nearby before they decided to transport her to the hospital. How in the world can anyone find fault in what they did? The article even states that there was no specific written policy that was violated. They literally had two choices:

1. Stand there and do nothing for the child. In which case there would be no proper equipment to care for the child anyway.

2. Take her to the hospital asap where there would be proper equipment and staff to give the girl a fighting chance.

They did the most sensible thing possible given the circumstances and are being unjustly punished for it.
Yes I'm serious. I didn't say I agree with their suspension, I did NOT find fault in what they did, I'm just saying I can see WHY the rule exists in the first place.

Their rig was not properly stocked with the same equipment ambulances have. It's "non-transport." They are not supposed to bring patients in their truck in case something happens that they cannot deal with properly because they don't have the means to. Does this mean they should just wait 20 mins for an ambulance and hope for the best, rather than take the risk and possibly save the girl ultimately? No. It's an impossible decision. Risk the girl dying or becoming seriously injured on their watch if they take her in the truck and something happens that they're not equipped to deal with and risk a lawsuit, or take her and hope for the best/get her to the hospital in the best time? Let's be honest, if something happened to her and God forbid she died in the truck or died afterwards because she could not be properly treated in the truck, these parents and probably many people here would be the first to support a lawsuit. They made a decision and got lucky. Everything worked out fine.

Reading is critical.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:37 PM

17,586 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post

And, if the kid had quit breathing while being transported on the fire truck.. What then?

JerseyGirl is right.. These policies are put into place because we have such a litigious society. While everything turned out alright in this case.. There's alot of things that could have happened that could put the county on the hook. Sadly, letting someone die has less liability than if they transport them in a firetruck and their heart stops on the way, or the firetruck runs into a ditch and their neck is broken because it doesn't have restraints..

There's no great answer here. The firefighters both did the right and wrong thing. The county, by suspending them, has now done both the right and wrong thing.

I didn't see any mention of the length of time they're suspended.. And.. If you're a volunteer.. I presume you're not getting paid.. So.. A suspension seems more symbolic than anything.. I kinda wonder if this is a wink-wink-nudge-nudge.. Say no more type situation so far as the suspension. Suspend them for a day, the point is made and presumably no one gets hurt. No idea if this goes on any kind of record that might affect them getting jobs elsewhere..

Old 03-07-2016, 12:16 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

There's no great answer here. The firefighters both did the right and wrong thing. The county, by suspending them, has now done both the right and wrong thing.
The fact that people (not talking about you but the people who suspended him) can think they did something wrong based on a stupid "policy" that was put in place says all that needs to be said about our society today. If we are talking about morals, logic and common sense they did the only right thing.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:46 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Society is too #^%^&$% litigious. Plus what kind of awful person suspends firefighters for saving a child's life? The firefighters saw what had to be done, and a child is alive for it. Yet ANOTHER example where liability-obsessed, inflexible authoritarians screw things up royally.

Last edited by wawa1992; 03-07-2016 at 01:55 AM..

Old 03-07-2016, 03:31 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
I wouldn't be surprised if the person who decided to suspend them weighs 300 pounds and never did a lick of honest work in their life. But if I had been the parent who called 911, I would have asked the 911 operator for directions to the ER. Because you can never predict how long it's going to be before the first responders arrive.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:39 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
If all medical transport units are 30 minutes away or are tied up with other medical responses, you need to go with what you have. The response should bring serious discussion in Stafford County, Virginia, on improving the staging and availability of medical transport units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events