Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 01:18 PM

4,679 posts, read 3,442,583 times

Advertisements

Alberta parents whose toddler died of meningitis were told to visit doctor, trial hears - Calgary - CBC News
Actually the nurse friend told them to take the baby to the doctor. She specifically told them it could be meningitis. They did not take the baby in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 01:21 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,645,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Alberta parents whose toddler died of meningitis were told to visit doctor, trial hears - Calgary - CBC News
Actually the nurse friend told them to take the baby to the doctor. She specifically told them it could be meningitis. They did not take the baby in.

That's true. The nurse said that it could possibly be meningitis even though the symptoms did not match and she recommended that they see a doctor. The next day is when they ended up going to the hospital. No doubt this couple made some errors in judgment but I think it's an even bigger error in judgment to sentence them to 5 years in prison for this.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:26 PM

4,679 posts, read 3,442,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That's true. The nurse said that it could possibly be meningitis even though the symptoms did not match and she recommended that they see a doctor. The next day is when they ended up going to the hospital. No doubt this couple made some errors in judgment but I think it's an even bigger error in judgment to sentence them to 5 years in prison for this.
It's a pretty big error in judgment. If I drive drunk and kill somebody that is also an error in judgment that cost someone else their life. I didn't mean any harm but I caused harm. So while they might have had good intentions, they were faulty in their judgment. And yes five years and loss of parental rights for the other children seems about right to me.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:01 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,505,098 times
Quote:
I did see you post that but I don't see a source for that piece of info in any of the articles. And no, the boy was not stiff when the nurse visited the day before.
here is the source: (it's a little more than half way down the article)
Alberta naturopath worker says mom of sick boy asked for something for meningiti

Old 03-10-2016, 03:17 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,752,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Alberta naturopath worker says mom of sick boy asked for something for meningiti
So they suspected meningitis and failed to get adequate treatment. Yes, they need to be charged in their son's death.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

Thank you.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:56 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,060,406 times
Quote:
They asked their friend, who is a nurse to come by and check out their boy. Their friend checked his lungs, vitals, etc. and said that he seemed fine. The illness did not appear to be serious, just long lasting (2 weeks approx.). The parents were taking a watch and see approach to it because it was seemingly mild. Many parents do this when their kids are sick.
Two weeks of fever? And that's ok? That's the body fighting off death. Valiantly, with no help from a simple mold based medicine they call antibiotics.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Two weeks of fever? And that's ok? That's the body fighting off death. Valiantly, with no help from a simple mold based medicine they call antibiotics.

No. There wasn't two weeks of fever. I do think that after reading gouligann's source that they should have taken their boy to the hospital instead of the naturopath when they discovered his body was stiff. That's a huge warning sign that they should have taken much more seriously.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:14 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,918,608 times
Isn't our society amazing...
If they had killed the kid prior to birth, it would have been just fine, no problem, just a woman doing what she thinks best with HER body.
BUT, since the kid was five years old, and the parents didn't do what SOCIETY thinks they should have done, when SOCIETY thinks they should have done it, it means jail time.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:19 PM

7,673 posts, read 5,400,923 times
Quote:
Do you think their error in judgement warrants 5 years in jail?
Hell, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events