Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:34 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If you dig a little deeper beyond the sensationalized articles, you'll learn that the boy did not show any signs of meningitis. He didn't have a fever but rather had a couple of days of what the parents describe to be like a mild flu and then a couple of days of feeling fine, followed by a couple of days of mild flu and days of feeling fine. The couple had a friend who is a nurse come and check out their son, including checking his breathing, lungs, heart rate, etc. and this nurse said he seemed fine.

By all accounts, the illness did not seem that serious. Then one day the boy went to sleep for a nap. The father noticed his breathing pattern seemed off so he called his wife to come home. She did and they called 911. The boy stopped breathing. The parents performed CPR and started driving to the hospital hoping to be intercepted by an ambulance on the way. The ambulance that intercepted them was not fully equipped and the boy went a long time without breathing. It was also said that another ambulance that was more equipped and was closer to the family's home had been available but had not received the call. Mistakes were made.

Eight months after the child's death the family received the results of the autopsy and the results were not definitive but rather based on opinion. There is no evidence that this illness could have been prevented by the hib vaccine, even though that is how it is being portrayed. The family also denies the maple syrup treatment claims that seem to be making headlines all over the internet.

I find it disgusting that so many media outlets have jumped on this story without doing even the slightest bit of investigation and passing it off as fact. Lazy! This couple is now standing trial for the death of their child who they loved and cared for and may serve jail time and lose custody of their other children.

How many parents out there have taken and watch and see approach to a seemingly mild illness? Many. This is a sad situation and prosecuting parents in an instance like this is beyond inappropriate. It's downright dangerous. When you see such sensationalized articles it's always a safe bet to assume that there is more to the story. Dig deeper and you may be surprised at the information that you find.
Do you have any links to that information? It directly counters the information in the posted link.

Never mind. I found it and it's an anti-vax site. No surprise there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 10:38 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Wait and see is a few days. Maybe be even a week. More than that anyone with any sense would take a young child to a doctor. A nurse is not a doctor nor did she draw blood for testing or do much of anything proactive. Kids are sometimes way sicker than they might appear. Not having a child seen by a doctor when they've been sick for TWO weeks is just plain wrong.

Do you think their error in judgement warrants 5 years in jail?

Old 03-10-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
An error in judgment that results in the death of a child? Yes.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:42 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
Believe me, we have per capita just a many WHACK JOBS as in the US of A. We just don't let them ALL have guns.
The religious cults are just a prevalent up here, particularly on the prairies and in the west. We have them ALL, and a few you don't have.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Do you have any links to that information? It directly counters the information in the posted link.

Never mind. I found it and it's an anti-vax site. No surprise there.

So you'll dismiss their story because you don't like the site it's posted on? You refuse to even hear it? ok.
Stephan Family
Here is the family's side of the story. I suspect that the truth lies somewhere in between. No matter what, I don't think that it's appropriate to prosecute loving parents in instances like this. The death of their child is tragic. They made an error in judgment by not seeking medical care sooner. They made a decision at the time that made sense to them considering the circumstances. I'm sure in retrospect they wish they would have acted sooner. I don't agree that their error in waiting too long to see a medical doctor warrants prison time.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
So you'll dismiss their story because you don't like the site it's posted on? You refuse to even hear it? ok.
Stephan Family
Here is the family's side of the story. I suspect that the truth lies somewhere in between. No matter what, I don't think that it's appropriate to prosecute loving parents in instances like this. The death of their child is tragic. They made an error in judgment by not seeking medical care sooner. They made a decision at the time that made sense to them considering the circumstances. I'm sure in retrospect they wish they would have acted sooner. I don't agree that their error in waiting too long to see a medical doctor warrants prison time.
I didn't refuse to hear it. I read all of it.

But the site has a declared agenda--to discourage mandatory vaccination laws. That makes its presentation of the story suspect to me.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:42 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
They asked their friend, who is a nurse to come by and check out their boy. Their friend checked his lungs, vitals, etc. and said that he seemed fine. The illness did not appear to be serious, just long lasting (2 weeks approx.). The parents were taking a watch and see approach to it because it was seemingly mild. Many parents do this when their kids are sick.
A seemingly healthy child can't shake "a flu" that lasts 2 weeks? And he seemed fine?
Nah. A flu lasts a few days. A watch and see approach over a few days, I can understand.
And yes, any death of a child, should be investigated.
If this was the dr, telling the parents to watch and see, would you be so lenient?

Old 03-10-2016, 12:02 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
As you might have missed in my previous post, the boy was so stiff when they took him to their car, they had to put him on a mattress because he was too stiff to sit in his car seat. Did that nurse friend not notice that he was stiff?

Now, maybe this stiffness came on suddenly, but it is a DEFINITE symptom of Meningitis. Meningitis Symptoms - Meningitis Research Foundation

Other signs in babies:

Tense or bulging soft spot on their head
Refusing to feed
Irritable when picked up, with a high pitched or moaning cry
A stiff body with jerky movements, or else floppy and lifeless
Fever is often absent in babies less than three months of age

Old 03-10-2016, 12:32 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Frankly, yes. First they didn't vaccinate their child putting by him at risk. When he was sick for 2 WEEKS they didn't seek competent medical care and treatment. His death is a direct result of their inaction. If that's not child endangerment/neglect, I don't know what is.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 03-10-2016 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
As you might have missed in my previous post, the boy was so stiff when they took him to their car, they had to put him on a mattress because he was too stiff to sit in his car seat. Did that nurse friend not notice that he was stiff?

Now, maybe this stiffness came on suddenly, but it is a DEFINITE symptom of Meningitis. Meningitis Symptoms - Meningitis Research Foundation

Other signs in babies:

Tense or bulging soft spot on their head
Refusing to feed
Irritable when picked up, with a high pitched or moaning cry
A stiff body with jerky movements, or else floppy and lifeless
Fever is often absent in babies less than three months of age

I did see you post that but I don't see a source for that piece of info in any of the articles. And no, the boy was not stiff when the nurse visited the day before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events