Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 01:59 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntwonShabazz View Post
She's young, unattractive and has a facial expression that, to me, conveys low intelligence. Probably got spun-up about women's rights and the glories of breast feeding and how repressive some people are about breast feeding, yadda, yadda, yadda, and when put into a situation where she could have exercised a bit of discretion or she could turn the whole event up to "11", she chose "B" as often as possible until one day she crossed paths with someone as whacko as she is, and here's the natural result. We could name her "Trayvon" and the guy that complained "George Zimmerman" and conclude that when two opposite extremists intersect in life, edge conditions result.

The Facebook post is the icing. Some people go to medical school. Some people rescue 10 people from a house fire. This woman flopped her breast out in public often enough, and in such a way that eventually she found the right whacko to provide her with an opportunity to make a minor splash in the news today.

It might be the single-most significant achievement this woman does in her entire life. Her proudest moment, with all it's oozing glory. Just be glad you aren't her, and hope you are never reduced to that.

I'm a big proponent of breast feeding. Nutritionally it's better than formula, transfers anti-bodies and increases the health of the baby, and it's free. I believe we don't encourage it enough in american society. However the way to promote breast feeding is to NOT make big public controversies, in fact it's stuff like that, that might have a tendency to discourage women from breast feeding. "What if I discretely feed my baby in public, and some whack-job calls the police on me?" Key word here is DISCRETION. I don't think a normal person makes an issue unless there's at least the pretext of a reason. I remember reading a story years ago about another whack-job woman that breast-fed her 5 year old son on an airplane by having him stand directly in front of her while she was seated in the flying plane, and flopped out her breast for him to feed from, for all the world to see, and yes, he was 5 years old.

There's a rule prohibiting people form bringing live chickens into a jet airliner also. Not sure what I would have done about the 5 year old. THAT one freaked me out. I wonder what a 5 year old that starts out like that, and with that mother, turns into?

You have to wonder what this woman packs her kid for school lunch?

Old 03-21-2016, 03:05 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The issue is that the waitress handled it poorly. You don't communicate with a napkin. You communicate with your voice. If there was a problem, the waitress should have politely discussed it. This is a private establishment and the restaurant had the right to ask her to leave. But the waitress did not have the right to throw a napkin on her son. She should be fired for her outrageous treatment of customers.
Yes, waitress handled it poorly. I'm sure management and corporate would agree with that. I read some of the comments from a couple of articles (not comments here) and it seems some people aren't familiar with feeding patterns of infants, breastfed or bottle fed, at all. If one times (as suggested by some people commenting) feeding only to when one is home, then a new mother would never be able leave the house period. If the server had complaints from several customers as she claims (and I question that claim), she should have brought it up to her superior. Throwing a napkin is not OK.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:45 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:

....... I remember reading a story years ago about another whack-job woman that breast-fed her 5 year old son on an airplane by having him stand directly in front of her while she was seated in the flying plane, and flopped out her breast for him to feed from, for all the world to see, and yes, he was 5 years old.

.... Not sure what I would have done about the 5 year old. THAT one freaked me out. I wonder what a 5 year old that starts out like that, and with that mother, turns into?

When a kid's old enough to walk up and ask for it, he's too old

Old 03-21-2016, 04:35 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
She's young, unattractive and has a facial expression that, to me, conveys low intelligence. Probably got spun-up about women's rights and the glories of breast feeding and how repressive some people are about breast feeding, yadda, yadda, yadda, and when put into a situation where she could have exercised a bit of discretion or she could turn the whole event up to "11", she chose "B" as often as possible until one day she crossed paths with someone as whacko as she is, and here's the natural result. We could name her "Trayvon" and the guy that complained "George Zimmerman" and conclude that when two opposite extremists intersect in life, edge conditions result.

The Facebook post is the icing. Some people go to medical school. Some people rescue 10 people from a house fire. This woman flopped her breast out in public often enough, and in such a way that eventually she found the right whacko to provide her with an opportunity to make a minor splash in the news today.

It might be the single-most significant achievement this woman does in her entire life. Her proudest moment, with all it's oozing glory. Just be glad you aren't her, and hope you are never reduced to that.

I'm a big proponent of breast feeding. Nutritionally it's better than formula, transfers anti-bodies and increases the health of the baby, and it's free. I believe we don't encourage it enough in american society. However the way to promote breast feeding is to NOT make big public controversies, in fact it's stuff like that, that might have a tendency to discourage women from breast feeding. "What if I discretely feed my baby in public, and some whack-job calls the police on me?" Key word here is DISCRETION. I don't think a normal person makes an issue unless there's at least the pretext of a reason. I remember reading a story years ago about another whack-job woman that breast-fed her 5 year old son on an airplane by having him stand directly in front of her while she was seated in the flying plane, and flopped out her breast for him to feed from, for all the world to see, and yes, he was 5 years old.

There's a rule prohibiting people form bringing live chickens into a jet airliner also. Not sure what I would have done about the 5 year old. THAT one freaked me out. I wonder what a 5 year old that starts out like that, and with that mother, turns into?
Great post! That's the way I feel about the breast-feeding issue too. There is NOTHING wrong with it, but why would a woman want to just flip it out in public? It is so easy to cover up so no one even knows you are feeding your baby.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:34 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
When a kid's old enough to walk up and ask for it, he's too old
Agree....yet there are millions of "Look at me! I gave birth! I'm special!" That would protest against it. Ugh.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:34 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Great post! That's the way I feel about the breast-feeding issue too. There is NOTHING wrong with it, but why would a woman want to just flip it out in public? It is so easy to cover up so no one even knows you are feeding your baby.
It's simply to get Facebook or YouTube 15 minutes of fame. My niece breast feeds. She covers up. You really have no idea she is doing it unless you look for it. She has a huge bib thing covering her chest area. Otherwise life goes on. Nobody freaks out. And yes she has breast fed at restaurants. But she doesn't pull it all out for everyone to see while loudly proclaiming I am woman hear me roar.
The thing is if nobody said anything in that restaurant that woman wouldn't get the attention she so clearly craves.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:12 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
The waitress was trying to be considerate of ALL of her patrons, and did the right thing. Personally, I don't want to eat at a restaurant and have some Mom whip it out as if we are in some 3rd world country and start feeding the kid. Go to the ladies room for God's sake.

Don

Old 03-21-2016, 06:36 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,633,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Another day, another such incident. She didn't want attention, yet she posts about the incident online to do exactly that.

And before someone accuses me of being obsessed with this topic, I'm not. It's like any other 'controversy' such as school uniforms that continues to be milked by people so they could be the next viral hero activist, and I like to highlight that.

Breastfeeding Mom Outraged After a Waitress Threw a Napkin Over Her : People.com
agreed this has more to do with the breastfeeding mom's desire for attention than an activism for breastfeeding in public.

I'm 100 percent for women breastfeeding. I think it is natural and healthy for the child. I'm also 100 perfect for doing it in a way which isn't leaving an exposed breast for all the world to see as well as doing it in a setting that is appropriate.

I don't consider at the dinner table with people eating in public appropriate. The waitress was put in an awkward situation and the mother should be apologizing to her IMO.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
A whole lot of this would end if people would just stay off "Farcebook".

Old 03-21-2016, 07:25 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't think she was trying to be discrete. There's really no need to be discrete. You do what's best for you and your child. If the restaurant had a problem with that, they should have talked to her about it. Not just throw a napkin on her. Of course, we only have one side of the story. But there's nothing wrong with what she was doing.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with what she did, because I wasn't there. I don't know what happened or how. I was just making a general statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events