Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 11:44 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Compared to what they're dealing with now? I'm fairly certain most Iraqis would MUCH rather go back to the days under his strict dictatorship than live in today's conditions. Don't get me wrong, he was a bad man for sure, but he damn sure kept that country as stable as possible.
Actually a lot of Iraqi's do seem to be nostalgic for Saddam. But I doubt it was the people that were tortured or the high school girls that his son took home and raped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 11:46 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
You mean kind of how Americans have been killing since before America was America? Like with the slave trade and the full-scale slaughter of native Americans? You mean like the way Americans basically killed off the people who were here first and took their land? That kind of stuff?'

I think Americans have a pretty good history of terrorizing people.

Or do you mean more like the Christian Crusade Holy Wars that included the Rhineland massacres in which thousands of Jews were murdered, the People's Crusade in which thousands more were massacred, the conquest of the Iberian Peninsula and killing of thousands of Muslims, the invasion and taking of Lisbon from Muslims, etc, etc, etc?

Christians have a quite a long history of terrorism themselves.
Yes, I mean exactly that. If Christians were responsible then the same would apply. You forgot the Mormons marrying and abusing tons of little girls. (NOT ALLOWED) Also, the witch burnings, (NOT ALLOWED) and the slaughter of Native Americans by the Spanish missionaries, we could go on and on as far back as you want to go.

So yes, all of that and more. Would you still put up with that today in America? If we were a Christian lead country hosting Christian terrorist that flooded the world and committed terrorist acts in the name of Jesus? I wouldn't, and those who do end up going to jail quickly. So yes, if Christians were storing terrorists and releasing them all over the country to spread terror I would also want to close our doors and wait for them to evolve. If there were Christian dominated countries, with Christian governments making women bow down and obey men at the cost of their lives,wearing KKK garments, I wouldn't communicate with them because I feel it's inhumane. As it is I'm still leery of fundamentalist Christians who think it's still ok to dominate their wives on a personal level. So yes, the same would apply.

You seem to think by your questions that America has provoked it's own terror, sort of like a women wearing a short skirt to the dance deserves to be raped. I don't buy that crap for a second which is why I'd like to make it clear that socially Muslim run countries have not evolved. They still stone people and oppress a large amount of their population. Japan was a good example of a country not tolerating religious hostility. They don't apologize for it, and I don't think they should.

When they get it together in those countries who host terrorist and oppress 1/2 of their society, then I'll think about opening my door again.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Bush 1 stopped short of going into Iraq for a reason. Cheney & the other warmongers bemoaned it for 8 years. How's it goin' for ya? Ever hear the old saying, "The devil you know might be better than the devil you don't know."?
Saddam had to be dealt with. He was still threatening to invade Saudi Arabia every time the US reduced forces. Also whatever you think of the situation now I am not sure it would have been better if and when Saddam died.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:50 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Well sure, and quite rightly so, considering the Muslms in my neighborhood are African Americans who have been here for generations and have as much right to practice their religion as you.
Those guys aren't the problem, they assimilated into the community a long time ago. The problem lies with the newer waves who refuse to assimilate. Like the father who killed his daughters, Sarah and Amina Said. I have no patience for it.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Sure, that'll be much more effective than your plan of removing bonafide American born citizens because of the religion they practice, or forcing them to renounce. Hey, maybe you can chop off their heads if they don't convert to whatever it is that you have in mind.

So yeah, why don't you try it? Let us know how that goes for you.
My guess is you don't really have a logical answer since you've swung the emotional pendulum so far to the left that it would be ridiculous to take it seriously. I know, I know, if it's not a "love all" situation with open borders then the only other way would be going down the Anti-Christs drive. Ok, I got it, I'm the Anti Christs. Or any other label you use to avoid talking about real solutions.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Muslims have been killing before America was even a country. You'll find your answers in the religious history section. You'll have to start from the beginning. America is only the last one on the scene. In my opinion we should close our doors and be done with it. As powerful as we think we are, they have thousands of years on us, and far more experience in terrorizing large groups of people.

The Muslim religion is set up like a mob. Those who deem themselves peaceful also have to live in fear, therefore they become silent to stay safe. It's a mob mentality, and has been from the conception.
I'll quote myself to be clear. Muslims need to address the mob mentality first, or it will NEVER end. That is a solution I've not seen addressed within their faith. I'd like to see it addressed. See, no chopping off heads necessary. Until then yes, check and make sure your neighbors are hiding a terrorist because they are just as afraid of them as we are.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:30 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Saddam had to be dealt with. He was still threatening to invade Saudi Arabia every time the US reduced forces. Also whatever you think of the situation now I am not sure it would have been better if and when Saddam died.
I never said that Saddam was good. Bush 1 explained why he didn't proceed into Iraq at the time.

The current mess is traced back to W's administration & the lies. There isn't a quick & easy way out of this mess. The faster the west can transition to renewable energy sources, the less importance middle-eastern oil has.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:31 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Ever thought that a Saudi Arabia under Saddam might be a better country than what it is today? Seriously, why are you Americans such defenders of radical Islam? Where I come from, conspiracy theorists suggest that Americans are trying to ally themselves with Islamic extremists and comments like yours strengthen that point of view.

Shame on you.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:52 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Compared to what they're dealing with now? I'm fairly certain most Iraqis would MUCH rather go back to the days under his strict dictatorship than live in today's conditions. Don't get me wrong, he was a bad man for sure, but he damn sure kept that country as stable as possible.
Depends,

If you're Sunni you would go back to Saddam in a heartbeat;
If you're Shia you like things the way they are
If you're Kurd you like things the way they are
If you're Christian or Yazidi you would go back to Saddam in a heartbeat

Most Iraqis are Shiite so they prefer things how they are now.

Iraq is a complicated place and has been since before the days Hammurabi.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I never said that Saddam was good. Bush 1 explained why he didn't proceed into Iraq at the time.

The current mess is traced back to W's administration & the lies. There isn't a quick & easy way out of this mess. The faster the west can transition to renewable energy sources, the less importance middle-eastern oil has.
I think it can go further back than this century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events