Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 07:59 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Well, since you are enjoying the freedoms the military folks have fought, bled and died for I guess that gives you the right to pess on what they do. Oh, help me out here ... are cops also "little annoying kids in the uniforms"?

Lord have mercy.

El Nox
We-ll......I sort of ran into that when I was running military police in the Navy, where a ticketed civilian called my police patrol "teenagers".

I laid down the law to her in my written response that they were not teenagers but US Navy Sailors.......though I don't think that got sent out to her in the rewritten letter from my Admiral's staff.

A and B

A: So it is not uncommon for those who "don't appreciate" what commitment these people have taken on to see them by only their age.

B: As an instructor at University, I see my students as adults and treat them as such; I would hope other instructors would do the same with their students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
True but most of us live in big cities and are not gangsters
I shot rifles regularly for three years in HS (10-12) as part of JROTC. Granted, I was on rifle team, a varsity sport, but all JROTC students, at least back in the 70's, fired rifles as part of marksmanship each year. Rifle team members were the line instructors, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 08:37 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
ROTC should make an announcement so people don't freak out.

They're in the student guide.

The ROTC is part of the university. They are an academic area of the university. They are not "aliens," they are people who are supposed to be there.

It is her job to have an idea of what programs are being taught on campus.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 03-25-2016 at 08:56 AM..

Old 03-25-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This sort of action is purposeful. It's done to impress a civilian population that they have masters. The military enforces the rule of their masters. This would have been unthinkable in the country just a few years ago. It's reminiscent of the old Soviet Union and present day China. Soldiers traditionally come to campuses in slave nations to break up student groups, arresting and frequently killing the students. Does no one recall Soviet troops breaking up student demonstrations on campuses of Warsaw Pact nations? After the Hungarian Uprising of 1956 the Russians and secret police killed an estimated eighty thousand people. Students represented a major portion of these.

But how can we be surprised? This is postconstitutional America where Army troops may patrol anywhere if they are ordered. The National Defense Preparedness Act repealed Posse Comitatus. That was the law that had prohibited the use of the armed forces except for the National Guard to engage civilian populations. Americans are apparently thrilled. The sheep bleat with joy and happiness knowing that the minions of their masters are close to them and heavily armed.

The US Constitution states that ''the people'' have the right to keep and bear arms. The armed forces are not part of the people. However, this is no longer the nation conceived by the Founding Fathers.

You really should learn how to spell grammar before discussing it.

The use of the present tense to describe the past is known as the historical present. It's a device to make the action more vivid. Homer used it almost three thousand years ago.
I'm gonna call "Poe" on this post.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:35 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPU12345 View Post
One thing I learned from your northern neighbor was: the mandated military training programs from a gov. were too overated. The people still grew strong and free without them.
After reading this it appears that YOU are other than a US citizen. Your failure to answer my previous question about cops shows that it is far more than corrected for grammar that you need on this board. BTW ... what is it you call OUR cops?

El Nox

Old 03-25-2016, 09:51 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Oh dear, the Lena Dunham doppelgänger immediately grabbed her phone and hid under her desk, hardly able to speak with the 911 operator from her fear. Truly a sad event.
She could not be serious.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:57 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Sorry for not reading the link in the first place, so there were misunderstandings.

My college had some practicing arms that could not fire rounds. They were for the students to get a nearhold in an actual gun. That was China.

In the U.S., I guess that everybody was firing arms starting in some tender ages. So practicing drills in a campus was too overdone, imho.

One thing I learned from your northern neighbor was: the mandated military training programs from a gov. were too overated. The people still grew strong and free without them.
not sure what you are talking about here. the US government doesn't have mandated military training programs.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Sorry for not reading the link in the first place, so there were misunderstandings.

My college had some practicing arms that could not fire rounds. They were for the students to get a nearhold in an actual gun. That was China.

In the U.S., I guess that everybody was firing arms starting in some tender ages. So practicing drills in a campus was too overdone, imho.

"I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto."

Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
she's gonna call 911 every time she sees them

LETTER: Military maneuvers startle already-stressed UND campus | Grand Forks Herald

copying is disabled so you'll have to read it at the link.
I read her letter and I agree with her 100%.

It is highly inappropriate and irresponsible to conduct such exercises on a in-service university campus.

Additionally, whether prior public notice is given and whether it's the middle of the day is totally irrelevant.

This was a horribly bad idea that could have ended with tragic results.

Whoever authorized this, WTF were they thinking??!!

Old 03-25-2016, 12:02 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
WTF were they thinking??!!
Obviously orders of magnitude greater than YOU.

El Nox

Old 03-25-2016, 12:55 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
Many college professors have lead very sheltered lives. They have been in school since pre-k and have never done anything else. Just my opinion, but many do not have any concept of the real world; have never had to make difficult decisions for others regarding the work place; and do not believe that they need to stop, look, and listen before acting. A little common sense goes a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events