U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 02:25 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,976,577 times

Advertisements

Sounds like people took advantage of the guy. That's pretty low. The fact that management would put him in that position is pretty dumb on their part.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:45 PM

13,602 posts, read 7,432,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
Sounds like the issue was with price matching in which he did break the rules.

Though it does seem fishy that it happened just 20 days shy of his 20th year.
What do you think happens after 20 years?

Most retail businesses fire employees who steal or give unauthorized discounts.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:51 PM

12,666 posts, read 7,572,129 times
I've seen a lot about this story on social media, being that it happened in Missouri and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is the source for most articles. People who knew the guy claimed that he would memorize all the local ads from the stores eligible for price match. When a customer bought a gallon of tea, he already knew the price match was fifty cents cheaper even though he didn't have the ad their at the register with him. It was unclear if the customer asked for the price match, or if he automatically did it (which would be an issue). Some time later, the manager asked the guy for proof of the price matching, but the ads in the break room had already been thrown away. He later brought back the competitor's ad to show his manager the price, but was still fired.

Many seem to think it was because he was going to retire in 3 weeks.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:46 PM

13,602 posts, read 7,432,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've seen a lot about this story on social media, being that it happened in Missouri and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is the source for most articles. People who knew the guy claimed that he would memorize all the local ads from the stores eligible for price match. When a customer bought a gallon of tea, he already knew the price match was fifty cents cheaper even though he didn't have the ad their at the register with him. It was unclear if the customer asked for the price match, or if he automatically did it (which would be an issue). Some time later, the manager asked the guy for proof of the price matching, but the ads in the break room had already been thrown away. He later brought back the competitor's ad to show his manager the price, but was still fired.

Many seem to think it was because he was going to retire in 3 weeks.
Thank you for giving a more complete story. It is always helpful when locals are able to add to what we see from the national media.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:41 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,275,698 times
He's gonna be happier at Dollar General anyway.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:53 PM

104 posts, read 66,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
Stock boy or janitor perhaps.
Maybe being moved to a different job doesn't jive with the proper hours. Many stock and janitor shifts for big box stores are graveyard shifts. Not everyone wants or can do those hours.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:26 PM

18,130 posts, read 23,010,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I know what you mean...when I walk into a store and an employee shouts from across the room, "Welcome to Walgreens" or whatever, (usually in an insincere, monotone-ish way, but who can blame them?), it irritates me.

It doesn't brighten my day or make it an "experience" to shop there or make me want to come back more often....it just irritates me. It's fake and phony and I feel sorry for the poor slob who has to do it over and over and over all day long for $7.25 an hour.
I read somewhere once that supposedly there is less theft by customers if they are greeted when they walk into a store. I guess the idea is to let the customers know they are noticing them.

Bugs me too. I usually have things on my mind and it distracts me, though I always say hello back.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:00 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,925,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
No matter how the media presents a story, these words usually ring true:

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you do read the newspaper, you're misinformed.” Mark Twain
The words may ring true, but they don't necessarily belong to Mark Twain. Check out #19 in then link below:

Putting Words in Mark Twain's Mouth | RealClearPolitics

Old 04-08-2016, 06:28 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,504,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
I don't understand what the issue is. He was apparently taken thru all of the steps of the employee disciplinary program. Verbal and written warnings. This is simple. The company only does price matches with physical proof of the competitor price (and ad) not simply because the customer says hey target sells this 50 cents cheaper. He repeatedly gave the customers discounts without the appropriate documentation. Either the customer's were taking advantage of his low IQ or he didn't care to follow the rules and just wanted to be nice. Either of those are more than enough evidence to show he is unable to perform the job correctly. Wal-Mart correctly believe that their cashiers are not entitled to make random pricing decisions on their own. As for the hugging......completely inappropriate. It's shocking he was allowed to do it ever. I do wonder though why they didn't try to move him to another position. Stock boy or janitor perhaps.
Agreed. That's totally icky. I'm surprised he wasn't disciplined about that.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:35 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,421,158 times
Not everyone can get a cookie in life... Nor should we coddle everyone craddle to grave

It is inappropriate to touch anyone without their permission first in such an environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or