U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 12:50 PM

9,678 posts, read 15,858,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Do NOT call me honey or sweetie! That's a good way to find yourself sitting on the floor. I'd be telling you off so fast your'e head would spin. These "terms of endearment" are nothing but condescending crap.

You're not my grandmother. You're not my significant other. Use appropriate terms for those around you in your place of work....would you call your boss sweetie? Well, maybe if you're sleeping with him/her....

And by you I am not referring to the person I quoted. We'd be annoyed together!

I "give it back". Any time someone calls me sweetie, I call them the same--
example: in doctor's office

me: I'm here for my apt with Dr Wonderful

office lady: Fine, sweetie, just fill out these forms

me: ok, thanks sweetie

her: do you have your insurance card, honey?

me: here's my blue cross card, honey

her: your copay is $45, sweetheart

me: do you take AMEX, sweetheart? Oh, sweetie, do you have a pen? and, honey, do you want my insurance card? Ok, sweetie pie, which cc do you take?

Oh, and, sweetie, what's your real name?

her: why, honey?

me:, so, sweetie, I can tell the dr what a professional job you do

Old 04-08-2016, 01:25 PM

12,619 posts, read 7,538,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
In no way am I attempting to hijack this thread, however, where did we get this idea people like being hugged in a business setting? Especially a medical setting. Yes, that is a business setting. One look at the bills is enough to convince anyone its a business, not a favor you're being handed!
What if it was a friend of yours you had known your entire life or someone you had been doing business with every week for 20 years? Would you still stiff arm them when they greeted you with a hug?

Old 04-08-2016, 02:14 PM

6,615 posts, read 3,744,488 times
He was fired for pricing violations (knocking prices down to meet competitor pricing, per customer's statements, when he is supposed to ask for the circular proving the competitor price).

It seems like they could have simply demoted him to bag boy or stock guy or something. He was already on informal probation for the offense. Maybe he just can't handle being a cashier?

It seems heartless. When you have an employee with brain damage, they aren't going to be like other employees.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:15 PM

6,615 posts, read 3,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I "give it back". Any time someone calls me sweetie, I call them the same--
example: in doctor's office

me: I'm here for my apt with Dr Wonderful

office lady: Fine, sweetie, just fill out these forms

me: ok, thanks sweetie

her: do you have your insurance card, honey?

me: here's my blue cross card, honey

her: your copay is $45, sweetheart

me: do you take AMEX, sweetheart? Oh, sweetie, do you have a pen? and, honey, do you want my insurance card? Ok, sweetie pie, which cc do you take?

Oh, and, sweetie, what's your real name?

her: why, honey?

me:, so, sweetie, I can tell the dr what a professional job you do
I've tried that. It doesn't work. They think it's wonderful that you call them "sweetie" or "baby" too. Male or female.

The only thing that has ever worked for me is to tell them point blank not to call me that name.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:54 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,279,542 times
This whole story is a non-issue. 99% of companies would have fired that guy - and many of them would have acted much swifter than Walmart did. Going overboard with price-matching is an obvious no-no, and he probably did a number of other things that violated policies. The hugging bit is a red herring, but it may have helped give Walmart management a more solid reason to get rid of him. Hugging customers can be a potential liability for several reasons (health, boundary overstepping, etc.), not to mention that it's usually considered unprofessional.

Also, this is yet another story where the "victim" and/or those close to him likely spun and played up the whole hugging angle to garner emotional sympathy from the public, and the media happily went right along with it for the purpose of shock value (which is good for hits and ratings and thread postings on City-Data). A case of playing to people's emotions for one's benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
True. But again, this is a thread in which the OP has played fast and loose with the thread title because the employee fired was one who had given hugs. I'm sure he was an employee who had done a lot of things.
Some blame towards the OP may be warranted, but I'd blame Yahoo News more than the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
No matter how the media presents a story, these words usually ring true:

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you do read the newspaper, you're misinformed.” Mark Twain
Very true for the vast majority of the media.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:19 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,695,505 times
Depends...
what kind of hugs was he giving?

Old 04-08-2016, 03:34 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,993,287 times
A business is in business to run a business and make money. If this cashier was causing WalMart to lose money because of excessive price-matching, then they're within their rights to fire him.

People should focus their ire at all the mean customers who would deliberately take advantage of this person's mental incapacities by forcing him to 'price match' something that probably didn't exist in the first place.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:45 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
No matter how the media presents a story, these words usually ring true:

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you do read the newspaper, you're misinformed.” Mark Twain
Or this one:

"A Newspaper is a device for making the ignorant more ignorant and the crazy crazier." H.L. Mencken

Old 04-08-2016, 05:19 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,018,492 times
Twenty days short of twenty years. What, were they going to owe him something for hitting the 20 year mark so this was a money saver for them? Wal-Mart is a beast anyway. I am sure there would have been a different position he could have been put in if that job wasn't working out. Stocking shelves or janitorial?

Across the country we have had problems with Wal-Mart prices ringing up higher than they should at the register. We have also returned electronic and kitchen items that were defective enough not to operate, put a little 'x" on the bottom of the box since we thought they were reshelving the items with so many defective and found the items back on the shelves that we returned as defective. Gosh, that makes what the employee was doing not look so bad, huh?

Old 04-08-2016, 08:31 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,157,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Do NOT call me honey or sweetie! That's a good way to find yourself sitting on the floor. I'd be telling you off so fast your'e head would spin. These "terms of endearment" are nothing but condescending crap.

You're not my grandmother. You're not my significant other. Use appropriate terms for those around you in your place of work....would you call your boss sweetie? Well, maybe if you're sleeping with him/her....

And by you I am not referring to the person I quoted. We'd be annoyed together!
Please, honey, do NOT apply for a job as a waitress at my neighborhood diner! Calling customers honey and sweetie is part of what makes it bearable to be a customer there. There is only so much you can to do make scrambled eggs taste better. Calling me sweetie is one of them. (Off topic, I know; I don't really have an opinion on the hugger/price cutter.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or