U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 04:29 AM

24 posts, read 14,007 times

Advertisements

If the person is mentally challenged, then why did Walmart allow him to be a cashier? I shop at both Walmart and Shoprite and Shoprite hires the mentally challenged but do not allow them to be cashiers.
A lot of emails to corporate HQ demanding he be given his job back or face customer revolt is in order here.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:24 AM

4,508 posts, read 2,124,645 times
I call my customers "Hon", and I love calling the men, old and young, "Darlin'". They usually smile and buy something.

But I don't hug them. Or even touch them. Today's society doesn't like to be touched by strangers. I don't. I have trouble breathing, and being griped around the chest is the last thing I want, even by people I know.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:27 AM

4,508 posts, read 2,124,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Or this one:

"A Newspaper is a device for making the ignorant more ignorant and the crazy crazier." H.L. Mencken
In these days of misinformation, that would apply x100 to TV news programs. There is really nobody dumber than someone who quotes CNN, MSNBC, Fox, or pretty much any of them.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:55 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,185,645 times
We have a relatively new girl at work, and she calls customers and everyone there "Honey." I cringe every time I hear her say it, especially to customers. But the one that really bothers me is when someone calls me "Young Man". I am 70 and know it is a nod to my advancing years, and it just doesn't sit well with me when they say it.

I had a cashier at Publix, a kid of about 16 say that to me, and I had to tell him that using that term was not the cool thing he might have thought it was.

Don

Old 04-09-2016, 08:01 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,693,299 times
They shouldn't allow any employees to randomly make those "price match" decisions...they should call a manager over to sign off on any monetary decisions.

They should give him another chance but take his authority to make price match decisions away from him and any employee who isn't in authority.

They've likely lost a fortune over time using this system.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:41 AM

160 posts, read 119,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We have a relatively new girl at work, and she calls customers and everyone there "Honey." I cringe every time I hear her say it, especially to customers. But the one that really bothers me is when someone calls me "Young Man". I am 70 and know it is a nod to my advancing years, and it just doesn't sit well with me when they say it.

I had a cashier at Publix, a kid of about 16 say that to me, and I had to tell him that using that term was not the cool thing he might have thought it was.

Don

I been called a f """ b"""" and b """" almost every day for doing my job,
Or been told that I'm number one

So what is worst calling bad names in your face or saying young man.
If someone tells young lady I'm just saying thank you.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:38 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,771,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't come to Maryland, and especially Baltimore, if being called "Hon" offends you.
I've been to Maryland and lived in the South and it still bothered me. Just because someone says something doesn't mean anyone has to like it.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:44 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,637,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo2020 View Post
I been called a f """ b"""" and b """" almost every day for doing my job,
Or been told that I'm number one

So what is worst calling bad names in your face or saying young man.
If someone tells young lady I'm just saying thank you.
Me too!

I was carded to buy alcohol a couple of times - past the age of 40. My reply while digging out my ID was, "Well, bless your heart!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Twenty days short of twenty years. What, were they going to owe him something for hitting the 20 year mark so this was a money saver for them? Wal-Mart is a beast anyway. I am sure there would have been a different position he could have been put in if that job wasn't working out. Stocking shelves or janitorial?

Across the country we have had problems with Wal-Mart prices ringing up higher than they should at the register. We have also returned electronic and kitchen items that were defective enough not to operate, put a little 'x" on the bottom of the box since we thought they were reshelving the items with so many defective and found the items back on the shelves that we returned as defective. Gosh, that makes what the employee was doing not look so bad, huh?
Honestly, as long as the disabled worker wasn't arrested for sexual harassment - he can sue Walmart for a violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990. I'm not saying he definitely has a case, but Walmart could have handled it a lot better - like employee counseling. They are entitled to have their employee's do what they want them to do - but disabled people are entitled to support themselves as well.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:48 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,771,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Please, honey, do NOT apply for a job as a waitress at my neighborhood diner! Calling customers honey and sweetie is part of what makes it bearable to be a customer there. There is only so much you can to do make scrambled eggs taste better. Calling me sweetie is one of them. (Off topic, I know; I don't really have an opinion on the hugger/price cutter.)
I worked as a waitress many years ago and never called anyone sweetie or honey or any other condescending names. I was tipped well because I did my job well. If being called sweetie makes your scrambled eggs taste better, you've got some strange issues!

Old 04-10-2016, 08:55 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,637,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I worked as a waitress many years ago and never called anyone sweetie or honey or any other condescending names. I was tipped well because I did my job well. If being called sweetie makes your scrambled eggs taste better, you've got some strange issues!
Isn't it the tone used that makes it condescending? In and of itself, its a nicety that society has become devoid of in recent years, imho.

Given the direction and tone of a conversation, can't someone make your given name sound condescending?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or