U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:07 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,782,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Isn't it the tone used that makes it condescending? In and of itself, its a nicety that society has become devoid of in recent years, imho.

Given the direction and tone of a conversation, can't someone make your given name sound condescending?
Words certainly can be condescending no matter how they're spoken. We're strangers. I'm not anyone's honey or sweetie. Even my husband doesn't call me these names. Neither one of us finds them endearing. This isn't a recent thing. We're not 20 year olds.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:20 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 26 days ago)

10,511 posts, read 14,346,913 times
Quote:
True. But again, this is a thread in which the OP has played fast and loose with the thread title
Quote:
Some blame towards the OP may be warranted, but I'd blame Yahoo News more than the OP.

For the record the OP almost always quotes the headline or the first line of whatever article he's posting about. Rarely does he use his own words when starting a topic. If you want to place blame for misleading titles that would go to the 'journalist' or editor who writes the headline.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:06 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,638,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Words certainly can be condescending no matter how they're spoken. We're strangers. I'm not anyone's honey or sweetie. Even my husband doesn't call me these names. Neither one of us finds them endearing. This isn't a recent thing. We're not 20 year olds.

But, that's your personal pet peeve. In some regions, and even cultures, it's quite common, and people will think something is wrong with you if you become upset at a nicety.

I personally don't particularly care for it either, but it doesn't get my panties in a bunch if it happens. In most cases, the person being nice actually can see and knows we aren't 20 anymore, lol.

We aren't going to change someone's culture or upbringing by looking indignant over them simply being nice.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:25 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,308,975 times
Quote:
do not call me honey or sweetie! That's a good way to find yourself sitting on the floor. I'd be telling you off so fast your'e head would spin. These "terms of endearment" are nothing but condescending crap.

You're not my grandmother. You're not my significant other. Use appropriate terms for those around you in your place of work....would you call your boss sweetie? Well, maybe if you're sleeping with him/her....

And by you i am not referring to the person i quoted. We'd be annoyed together!

News, Walmart fired a brain-damaged worker of 20 years who gave customers free hugs-lighten-up-francis.jpg

Old 04-10-2016, 02:26 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,308,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Not everyone can get a cookie in life... Nor should we coddle everyone craddle to grave

It is inappropriate to touch anyone without their permission first in such an environment.

Unless of course, it's a police orifce-er throwing you to the ground. Then it's ok right??

Old 04-10-2016, 02:37 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,782,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
But, that's your personal pet peeve. In some regions, and even cultures, it's quite common, and people will think something is wrong with you if you become upset at a nicety.

I personally don't particularly care for it either, but it doesn't get my panties in a bunch if it happens. In most cases, the person being nice actually can see and knows we aren't 20 anymore, lol.

We aren't going to change someone's culture or upbringing by looking indignant over them simply being nice.
I realize it can be a regional thing. I did already say i've lived in the South and it's common there. It was still flipping annoying. And it was frequently spoken in a very condescending manner.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:21 AM

24 posts, read 14,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan393 View Post
If the person is mentally challenged, then why did Walmart allow him to be a cashier? I shop at both Walmart and Shoprite and Shoprite hires the mentally challenged but do not allow them to be cashiers.
A lot of emails to corporate HQ demanding he be given his job back or face customer revolt is in order here.
I sent Walmart headquarters a email demanding this man to be re-hired and am awaiting their reply.
If its negative, then I'll join the people that use to shop at their stores.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:50 PM

22,578 posts, read 10,443,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I call my customers "Hon", and I love calling the men, old and young, "Darlin'". They usually smile and buy something.

But I don't hug them. Or even touch them. Today's society doesn't like to be touched by strangers. I don't. I have trouble breathing, and being griped around the chest is the last thing I want, even by people I know.
I'm sure you're a very nice person, but many of us loathe such familiarities as being called "hon" or "darlin".

Old 04-15-2016, 08:02 AM

874 posts, read 907,790 times
I haven't been in a Walmart in years.
They do so many things I don't agree with, I'm done with them.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:55 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,168,799 times
Quote:
I worked as a waitress many years ago and never called anyone sweetie or honey or any other condescending names. I was tipped well because I did my job well. If being called sweetie makes your scrambled eggs taste better, you've got some strange issues!
No, I just like people who are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or