U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:52 AM

5,251 posts, read 2,683,523 times

Advertisements

An Arlington family says they are being forced to withdraw their seventh grader from his school because they say his hair is too long and violates the dress code. The family says he had been in the same school since he was in fourth grade and it was never a problem until recently.

"They've had a very, very long time to be in compliance with this policy,” said Neman International Academy Superintendent Dr. Sheba George.

Whats next? They going to started suspending kids that don't brush their teeth.?

Arlington teen forced to withdraw from school due to ponytail | KTBC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 10:54 AM

9,528 posts, read 6,513,970 times
Growing up, every school I attended had grooming policies.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,794,395 times
Ridiculous!

One month before the end of school they do this to him???

Outrageous!

Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,054,619 times
From the looks of the pictures, his hair is groomed, it's pulled back and braided neatly

I don't get it

Old 04-26-2016, 11:01 AM

2,147 posts, read 1,601,993 times
The school district is asking for trouble. They should be glad he's not demanding change of the restroom

Old 04-26-2016, 11:02 AM

630 posts, read 485,001 times
I don't get why a family would deliberately go about getting their child expelled from an expensive private school.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:04 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,232,752 times
I thought the long hair battles were already fought in the 60's and 70's

Old 04-26-2016, 11:09 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,238,770 times
Most schools are dominated by repressed people that value rules above humanity or reason. they are typically completely insecure and have to have order so they will never have to make a decision. They try their damnedest to make all their students the same.

Fortunately some of us escaped the indoctrination.

FWIW - I was working as a machinist after I returned from 'Nam. I started to grow a beard. My employer told me that their "dress code" prohibited beards. I told them my honor prevented me from following some arbitrary dress code or the fools that tried to enforce it. So I quit a job that paid the equivalent of $35 an hour in today's terms. Those people did not realize that close combat burns the trivia out of a person and I was one of survivors of service on the Mekong River.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:20 AM

9,528 posts, read 6,513,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Most schools are dominated by repressed people that value rules above humanity or reason. they are typically completely insecure and have to have order so they will never have to make a decision. They try their damnedest to make all their students the same.

Fortunately some of us escaped the indoctrination.

FWIW - I was working as a machinist after I returned from 'Nam. I started to grow a beard. My employer told me that their "dress code" prohibited beards. I told them my honor prevented me from following some arbitrary dress code or the fools that tried to enforce it. So I quit a job that paid the equivalent of $35 an hour in today's terms. Those people did not realize that close combat burns the trivia out of a person and I was one of survivors of service on the Mekong River.
I once worked in a machine shop, and while some folks sported beards, they had to be trimmed to an extent. It was more of a safety issue: possibility of getting beard stuck in an OD Grinder, for example... Yikes!!!

Old 04-26-2016, 11:33 AM

51,661 posts, read 41,613,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I once worked in a machine shop, and while some folks sported beards, they had to be trimmed to an extent. It was more of a safety issue: possibility of getting beard stuck in an OD Grinder, for example... Yikes!!!
Yeah, there was that girl (MIT or Yale I think) that got killed by a lathe a few years back after getting her hair caught in it.

Internet is full of gruesome gruesome pics like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or