U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:49 PM

8,775 posts, read 5,608,950 times

Advertisements

He wasn't just Mr. Softee, for me and my friends in Philadelphia he was Mr. Summer.

On a hot summer night when you are sitting around on the stoop with your friends after running up and down the street all night getting sweatted out, all is peaceful and calm when you start to hear the iconic music playing from 2 blocks away. Everyone scatters in an instant to run home and beg 25 or 50 cents from your parents. If you were one of the lucky few, your parents said OK. If you were even more lucky and your parents said no, one of your friends or their parents will treat you.

So when he finally arrives the two large cones on the front of the truck and the florescent bulbs reflecting off the white and blue paint would light up the dark night for 50 feet around giving you enough light to see them if you dropped your coins (phew, night saved!), but also bright enough to be a beacon to the drivers coming down the street; letting them know to be careful because kids who have lost their minds may be racing across the street at any second. (Lord help a driver who hit a kid near an ice cream truck.) After getting your cone, you pass the rear of the truck and the blast of heat from the refrigeration unit is enough to make the hot night temporarily unbearable, but it also reminds you how precious what you have in your hand is.

You carefully cross back to your side of the street, not cautious because you remember now that there may be a car coming, but cautious because it would be a tragedy to drop your cone at this point.

Your friends all pile around the stoop again and maybe your parents are sitting there too with their double cone dipped in chocolate and covered with peanuts. After a few minutes the lights dim as the truck slowly rolls away and night returns...

...the best music in the world playing ever more faintly as the truck moves off at 10 miles an hour...
Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, not even the Beetles. None of them can touch the Mr. Softee theme music.

Les Waas, Mister Softee Jingle Writer And Beloved Prankster, Dead At 94

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 04-28-2016 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 12:57 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,054,265 times
South Jamaica Queens, summers of the 70's ***sigh****

RIP

Old 04-28-2016, 01:14 PM

4,917 posts, read 2,175,383 times
Newport News VA ... Mr Softee was there too! Loved those as a kid.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:41 PM

22,763 posts, read 19,202,942 times
We had the "Hoodsie Man/Truck" in suburbia Boston but loved your wonderful post. Brought back the memories I have of my local summer living.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:01 PM

13,819 posts, read 25,125,230 times
He didn't merely die...he melted away.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:23 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,254,038 times
Woodside, NY

1980s

Once the sound was heard from far away and we knew he was near: It was totally on.

And for myself, there was no running back to the house to get money from my mom

I always kept the money on me, all day, often checking my pocket to make sure it was still there. Waiting, listening and then watching salvation slowly approaching as he drove down the street.

THE ICE CREAM MAN IS COMING!!!!!

But with time, the innocence faded and puberty was beginning. And I realized one night when a girl my age that I went to St. Mary's with looked over at me and smiled while licking the ice cream on her cone that I didn't get that excited anymore when the truck came. And I would find myself soon seeking a new taste & flavor to savor. And a couple of years later when her and I were making out downstairs at her parents house, we heard the sound of the truck approaching outside and didn't run out to it.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:12 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,012,503 times
Ah yes..I actually owned a Mr Softee truck and made good money selling those cones @ a Quarter.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:33 PM

13,819 posts, read 25,125,230 times
After hearing it over and over again, it "waas" an annoying tune.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:13 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,023,101 times
Brooklyn, NY late '60s/Long Island 70's. Sprinkles for everyone today... even if your not a winner!!

Old 04-29-2016, 03:09 PM

6,205 posts, read 4,620,232 times
As a kid I remember running after the ice cream truck when he came down my street. Most of the time I had no money but I felt I should still chase after him, like a dog chasing a mailman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or