U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 10:56 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,808,394 times

Advertisements

I feel for the people that have to work in these environments. You need a strong heart, and stomach to process live chickens into plastic wrapped Styrofoam containers. The working conditions are not the best by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 11:03 AM

4,467 posts, read 2,074,034 times
I'll agree with Jersey - I work in a plant on the line in cold temperatures doing the same repetitive things and love it. You go to the bathroom before you clock in - on your 15 minute break, lunch and afternoon break. Cripes - I had less time to go to the bathroom when I worked in a medical office because we were so busy.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:13 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,117,886 times
jeez well i don't want to pay $5 for a pound of chicken either...

Old 05-14-2016, 11:16 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,356,147 times
I have no idea of working conditions of today. It however still sounds like the same working conditions of 40 years ago when DW was a chicken plant QA manager.

Likewise, when I was a QA manager in a canner/freezer company, this was a SOP. Either you find a replacement for your unscheduled nature call or stop the production line.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:15 PM

15,037 posts, read 8,568,934 times
I don't think most people in this country and around the world truly care about the source of their food, whether the animals suffered or the people preparing them suffered.

Oh, some will surely express outrage, but beyond that, all just lip service outrage.

People will just shrug, mention what can they do about it, and stuff their faces with chicken, meats, produce, etc, and go happily living their lives.

It's like shrimp. One source of shrimp is from Southeast Asian countries, and the people that fish for shrimp labor under horrific slave like conditions. But no one cares. As long as we get to eat what we like, no one ultimately gives a hoot.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:19 PM

72,852 posts, read 64,283,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I remember a article that had one worker who said "I was told you can go to the bathroom when you want, make sure it's only once a day though" I almost got a job at the IBP (Iowa Beef Products) Plant in Washington IA, but they got picky on an old head injury, got a job elsewhere and 1 years later they were raided for hiring illegals.....
Well, at least they were raided. Do those raids still happen? I thought it became policy sometime ago to not raid anymore.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:30 PM

1,278 posts, read 833,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwdavid View Post
"When you buy your chicken in the supermarket, or eat it at KFC, the label will be missing some critical information about the people who helped make your meal possible. It won’t say, for example, that the workers who processed that chicken might have been wearing diapers at the time. The label might let you know the chicken is organic, or free-range, or free of antibiotics—but not that the workers who handled, cut, and packaged that chicken were compelled to soil themselves in order to keep their jobs."

Big Poultry workers are literally peeing their pants so that Americans can have cheap chicken
killing animals in a plant is never pretty. there is blood, guts and chickensh*t all over the place.. as far as diaper wearing workers are concerned, media loves to isolate a minority case, and generalize to the entire industry these days, and fearmonger.

identify wrong doing, prosecute/penalize, move on.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:41 PM

2,133 posts, read 865,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwdavid View Post
"When you buy your chicken in the supermarket, or eat it at KFC, the label will be missing some critical information about the people who helped make your meal possible. It won’t say, for example, that the workers who processed that chicken might have been wearing diapers at the time. The label might let you know the chicken is organic, or free-range, or free of antibiotics—but not that the workers who handled, cut, and packaged that chicken were compelled to soil themselves in order to keep their jobs."

Big Poultry workers are literally peeing their pants so that Americans can have cheap chicken
Yeah, the system is rotten. But what am I supposed to do, stop eating chicken?

Old 05-14-2016, 12:41 PM

4,045 posts, read 1,808,394 times
It sounds almost as bad as being a nurse. Twelve hour shifts where you were so busy with patients that you never had time to go the bathroom. It didn't matter much because you never had time to drink anything. Half the time, if you did get time to eat, it was interrupted and half your food ended up left on the table. At least the pay was better than plucking chickens.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:18 PM

8,164 posts, read 9,374,334 times
Hey the illegals wanted the American dream so bad, they were willing to break the law to get it. Well, they found it. Kudos to a job well done, illegals. You achieved that goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events