U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 02:22 PM

48,992 posts, read 39,470,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Right. Its the fault of illegal aliens not the people who employ them. GMAFB
I mentioned the politicians getting paid off by the corporations to turn a blind eye to the hiring of illegals and exploiting them with lower wages and worse conditions and your "take away" was that I was just faulting the illegals?

Wow. You're really um.....let's be nice and say off-base on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Hey the illegals wanted the American dream so bad, they were willing to break the law to get it. Well, they found it. Kudos to a job well done, illegals. You achieved that goal.
Everyone is breaking the law. Our politicians, the corporations and of course the illegals.

I personally think that worker programs like Canada has is a better way to do things.

However, pols want that *deniability* that they're just unaware while undercutting laborers here in the country.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:32 PM

4,103 posts, read 4,020,861 times
One thing thats interesting to me as a finance guy is how thin of a margin these companies are running on. I just pulled up Tyson's 2015 10k and out of $41.3 billion in revenue theyre netting $1.2 billion....

Old 05-16-2016, 04:15 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,226,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Everyone is breaking the law. Our politicians, the corporations and of course the illegals.

I personally think that worker programs like Canada has is a better way to do things.

However, pols want that *deniability* that they're just unaware while undercutting laborers here in the country.
Canada's' is much better and much easier to enforce since they don't border Mexico.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Canada's' is much better and much easier to enforce since they don't border Mexico.
Enforcing is pretty easy. You just put brutal penalties in place on the businesses and cut off the flow of money.

You catch a farmer using a field full of illegals instead of program workers and hit them with 200k worth of fines that stuff will stop.

As it stands we don't even enforce so frankly why poo poo the Canadian approach?

But if we're honest none of it will happen.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
One thing thats interesting to me as a finance guy is how thin of a margin these companies are running on. I just pulled up Tyson's 2015 10k and out of $41.3 billion in revenue theyre netting $1.2 billion....
Yeah, most people don't realize how thin profit margins are for some businesses.

Go look up a big personal lines insurance company.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:33 PM

9,170 posts, read 6,355,928 times
Quote:
Merely a bi-product of the USA having millions and millions of illegal aliens.

Combine that with the government being willing to turn a blind eye to things because they're angling for the votes from that demographic and of course the fat corporate campaign contributions.

Want to know why the blue collar sector has had such brutal wage stagnation?

Supply and Demand quite simply. However, you can find some people delusional enough (and politically motivated) to claim that millions of cheap laborers don't lower worker wages in the US.
Doesn't motivate them to improve working conditions either, it would seem.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:48 PM

9,170 posts, read 6,355,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It's a strange, and sad commentary upon our national "mindset" that "scatological" issues -- from food-plant sanitation to same-sex restrooms, have worked their way to the forefront of our national discourse, egged on by the rumor, oversimplification, stereotyping and polarization common to the front row at the wrestling matches. Whatever happened to common sense?
I believe it has been replaced by the "everyone's a victim " mentality and political correctness.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:10 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,226,041 times
Quote:
Enforcing is pretty easy. You just put brutal penalties in place on the businesses and cut off the flow of money.

You catch a farmer using a field full of illegals instead of program workers and hit them with 200k worth of fines that stuff will stop.

As it stands we don't even enforce so frankly why poo poo the Canadian approach?

But if we're honest none of it will happen.
Mostly agree with you. A wall, E verify, and hefty penalties would stop most of this

will it change......probably not.......people don't change unless the pain of their current situation is greater than the fear of change

Old 05-16-2016, 11:21 PM

28,007 posts, read 19,684,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Once upon a time factories and these chicken plants were decent places to work with decent pay. Not every citizen is going to get a degree and work a 6 figure white collar job. I have even know, gosh, white Americans, that picked crops in the summer. Are you saying before illegals there were no crop pickers, factory workers, kitchen workers, gardeners, roofers, construction workers, maids?

We have a Purdue plant in my little rural town. I have had several family members work there. It wasnt half bad until they hired 95% illegals. The plant was busted for working 16 year olds double shift and there was a law suite for discrimination because they would not hire local citizens, only illegals. Of course proving legal status was impossible do to PC but they had them on the discrimination suite.

There is much more difference between seasonal migrant workers and illegal aliens than a piece of paper. Migrant workers came for the season, following the crops and went home. Illegals swarm in, they burden the schools systems, ERs and health departments, law enforcement, government services, and even city infrastructure. All they have to do is have a kid and they are in. Multiple families cram in a single family unit, the women get FS and other government services by not claiming husbands and all the adults work at the chicken plant. The little ones go to Headstart the older ones who cant speak English to the school system. They stay a few years send most of their money across the boarder then move to another area, new families take their place, rinse, repeat.

And yes I blame our greedy politicians and greedy corporations but the illegals are not blameless. I understand wanting more money and a better life but engaging in criminal activity to achieve it is not acceptable.
No, I'm saying the vast majority of farm work, house cleaning etc was done by migrants and minorities.

As far as blame goes, oftentimes morality is a luxury that one can not afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events