Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:25 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I mentioned the politicians getting paid off by the corporations to turn a blind eye to the hiring of illegals and exploiting them with lower wages and worse conditions and your "take away" was that I was just faulting the illegals?

Wow. You're really um.....let's be nice and say off-base on this one.
Don't be "nice." Have the balls to say what you mean.

When you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Merely a bi-product of the USA having millions and millions of illegal aliens.

Combine that with the government being willing to turn a blind eye to things because they're angling for the votes from that demographic and of course the fat corporate campaign contributions.

Want to know why the blue collar sector has had such brutal wage stagnation?

Supply and Demand quite simply. However, you can find some people delusional enough (and politically motivated) to claim that millions of cheap laborers don't lower worker wages in the US.
and when a poster who I quoted in the same post says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And thats what happens when these companies are allowed to employee illegal workers.

My town has had a Perdue/Typson plant for decades and I have had some family members work there. The plant treats their employees like kindergartners and they only get two mandated 15 minutes breaks and a lunch break in which they can go to the bathroom. If it is an emergency they have to raise their hand and get permission from their lead person which is frowned upon but it isnt as bad as that article states.
Then my take away is you are blaming illegal immigrants for their predicament. I won't be so "nice." If one doesn't mean to blame illegal immigrants, one needs to learn to communicate his or her ideas in a clearer fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 10:58 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
I havent seen anyone in this thread ask the pollyanna question, so I will:

Why don't the workers form a union, with collective bargining power, to better ensure more humane working conditions?

I guess because a vast majority (my perception) are illegal, undocumented workers. It seems raiding the employers' books, and prosecuting the employers for hiring people without papers would be the most effective use of everyone's time.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I guess because a vast majority (my perception) are illegal, undocumented workers. It seems raiding the employers' books, and prosecuting the employers for hiring people without papers would be the most effective use of everyone's time.
Almost all Americas chickens are raised on huge farms then sent to any number of large Factory processing plants.I find it absurd to believe these huge enterprises are all staffed with illegal undocumented workers all standing around in puddles of urine and pants full of feces while they work..

Old 05-17-2016, 05:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I havent seen anyone in this thread ask the pollyanna question, so I will:

Why don't the workers form a union, with collective bargining power, to better ensure more humane working conditions?

The company probably has a strong anti-union stance and threatens anyone who doesn't fall in line with termination.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:03 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Don't be "nice." Have the balls to say what you mean.

When you say:

Then my take away is you are blaming illegal immigrants for their predicament. I won't be so "nice." If one doesn't mean to blame illegal immigrants, one needs to learn to communicate his or her ideas in a clearer fashion.
You failed to underline the part where I blamed the politicians and the business owners paying them off.

Frankly, if I have to explain that the corporations are paying off politicians so that they can undercut and underpay both domestic workers (also mentioned) and the illegals which is the point of the thread....then you are having issues with the topic at hand.

I clearly noted the politicians and the corporations involvement as well, you have a habit of zeroing in on one snipet and attacking.

Balls? No, I'm just noting the forum and avoiding getting infracted for honestly assessing your abilities to participate in these sorts of discussions. I don't want to make you upset or cause a bout of hysteria or nerves.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:05 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Almost all Americas chickens are raised on huge farms then sent to any number of large Factory processing plants.I find it absurd to believe these huge enterprises are all staffed with illegal undocumented workers all standing around in puddles of urine and pants full of feces while they work..
The "off the wall" posts you see are from folks who have never been in a processing plant before in their life, "they heard", "they were told", "They read" but in reality they have no clue what it is about.
Once a person is assigned to the processing line, yes they get two breaks and a meal during their 8 hour shift, just like in any normal manufacturing work. Due to the nature of work, every position is critical and if anyone person leaves without getting a replacement, the USDA will shut the line down costing the company thousands of dollars in lost chickens. The plants provide "fill ins" if nature calls more than once every couple of hours. These plants are highly automated and must maintain a certain number of people to keep the food products safe.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Urine and feces? No, that's mostly hyperbole aimed at exposing the working conditions and generating outrage.

But yes, most are illegal undocumented workers. I've had friends work in meat processing plants and while they were "legal" they were in the minority.

That however was in northwest Illinois so perhaps it varies more in other parts of the country but it's unlikely.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
The "off the wall" posts you see are from folks who have never been in a processing plant before in their life, "they heard", "they were told", "They read" but in reality they have no clue what it is about.
Once a person is assigned to the processing line, yes they get two breaks and a meal during their 8 hour shift, just like in any normal manufacturing work. Due to the nature of work, every position is critical and if anyone person leaves without getting a replacement, the USDA will shut the line down costing the company thousands of dollars in lost chickens. The plants provide "fill ins" if nature calls more than once every couple of hours. These plants are highly automated and must maintain a certain number of people to keep the food products safe.
True.

My friends brother was a line manager at one plant (not chicken) and a constant issue he had was workers bringing in veggies and mixing up a stew in the knife sanitizer with extra meat bits and salt.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:11 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

And thats what happens when these companies are allowed to employee illegal workers.

First let me say I dont believe the situation of wearing diapers or having to urinate on oneself is close to the truth but Yes it is illegals own fault for creating crappy working conditions. Not only theirs but other legal workers. For the most part they
1. illegally cross over the boarder
2. often steal identifications, SS# to knowingly illegally work
3. know they have no legal recourse so they undercut the going wage
4. have no intention of assimilating but send their earnings back across the boarder
They take advantage of our political/corporate greed. They are not victims but akin to, at best carpetbaggers but since their actions are illegal, criminals.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
With federal laws against the hiring of illegals https://www.google.ca/#q=laws+agains...gal+immigrants i cant believe large poultry processing plants who employ 300-500 people and process a million chickens a week would risk being shut down by hiring huge numbers of illegal immigrants, sure maybe a few get fake id and slip through but the majority of workers are Americans who are thankful to have these jobs.
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...le/Hourly_Rate
Also these processing plants have to reserve one shift for cleanup and sanitization of all the equipment.
Having worked in a dairy processing plant for 30 years i can tell you Government oversight on the products cleanliness and attention to the strictest health/safety standards of the products were always adhered to,get a line of product found to have E-Coli and your plant is shut down till you discover and fix the problem.
PS give me the name of one plant that hires mostly illegals who stand around working in urine and feces while they process chicken and i'll report the company myself.
While laws might be somewhat slack in enforcement they arent non existant and for a large poultry processing plant i cant believe they would take the chance of getting caught.
Report em=
https://www.google.ca/#q=report+empl...gal+immigrants

Last edited by jambo101; 05-17-2016 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events