U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 02:24 PM

8,589 posts, read 2,900,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Russia has chosen to place her country right next to our military bases. This is quite aggressive and certainly warrants more of our defensive measures right next to Russia.
It's not exactly on the Russian Border, indeed the bases in Romania and Poland are both a substantial distance from Russia, whilst the other main resources are nearly all seaborne. The final phsase of the missile defence was even cancelled by the US.

US scraps final phase of European missile shield - BBC News

US activates $800m missile shield base in Romania - BBC News

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 10:32 AM

2,927 posts, read 1,429,178 times
I'm sure we would smile broadly at Russian military bases in Mexico and Canada "a substantial distance away." I seem to keep forgetting that the State Dept is a bunch of six year olds.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:16 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,756,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Umma. I know where you're coming from but when you toss it all in one basket and shake it up it's how Russians want it to be. You may be all for inflicting democracy on the Russian people but they got a taste of it in the 1990s and frankly they obviously prefer what they have now. At least they aren't going hungry.

Go look this up. The Greeks said long ago that the best type of government is in fact a benign dictatorship, not a democracy. I think Russia has a system that works for them and it's no ones business but Russias.

You seem totally misinformed.
Seriously? Ummagumma's posts have been the most accurate on this thread. Your's seem like Putin fan-boy foolishness.

Modern Russians have given up on government because they know they have no say before or after an election. Often they don't even bother critisizing Putin because they see it as a dangerous lost-cause given their history. They ain't fighting it anymore. But they do sometimes enjoy his military bluster, it gives Russia meaning besides being the old Eastern backwater.

Their system isn't really working. Emmigration is still high, a huge percentage of Russian men are alcoholics and unemployable. If you want things done you have to know who to pay off. BTW, due to Putin's Crimea folly and the embargo, life in Russia has gotten much worse for all but the most well-connected psuedo capitalists. At this moment, the majority of Russians would say life was better before the end of the Soviet Union.

And you're talking about Greek philosophy?

Old 06-14-2016, 12:35 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,823,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You're confusing what a forward anti-missile battery will see when it launches its strikes against missile launches with what a North American anti-missile battery will eventually see when it has to contend with incoming re-entry vehicles and warheads.
Someone is confused, all right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
He does have a point though, that countries fighting with Russian equipment rarely end up on the winning side. At least since Vietnam.

A part of the problem is, most Russian, or rather Soviet equipment - while fundamentally well designed and thought out - was intended to be used in relatively huge numbers, in accordance with Soviet military doctrine. Most counties using it, as well as modern Russia itself, simply can't afford to field it in such quantities. So instead of using simpler / less sophisticated equipment in superior numbers they end up with simpler equipment in smaller numbers. Just look at the miserable performance of Iraqis in both wars.
Other issues include the fact that Soviet exports were typically not the complete package that the Soviet military was operating. Certain components and recent upgrades were often left off, in order to keep those things secret as long as possible. The same was true of American exports, though usually to a lesser extent (our customers were typically more reliable). Also, Iraq and other countries could afford to purchase shiny toys like MiG-29s, but in order for those toys to be effective you need highly-skilled pilots, and pilots only get highly-skilled with lots of training and lots of hours in the air. That's really expensive. So the toys ended up being rarely-flown shiny objects meant to deter neighbors... but once they actually had to be thrown into combat, they didn't perform all that well. Or, rather, their operators didn't.

Quote:
Umma. I know where you're coming from but when you toss it all in one basket and shake it up it's how Russians want it to be. You may be all for inflicting democracy on the Russian people but they got a taste of it in the 1990s and frankly they obviously prefer what they have now. At least they aren't going hungry.
You could say the same thing about the United States in the 1930s. Fortunately, Americans of the time didn't throw up their hands, complain that it was too hard, and cast about for some authoritarian to come to power. Not so, the Russians.

This whole "Well, a crappy despot who was too busy fleecing the country and killing critical journalists to diversify the economy and thereby avoid the inherent and inevitable pitfalls of relying on one-commodity-dominated economy was the best they could do!" sure doesn't say much about Russia and the Russians, now does it?

Old 06-14-2016, 01:46 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,576,226 times
Quote:

Go look this up. The Greeks said long ago that the best type of government is in fact a benign dictatorship, not a democracy. I think Russia has a system that works for them and it's no ones business but Russias.

You seem totally misinformed.
Forget about the democracy - if the Russian people are happy living under a dictator (even though I have my doubts) it's their choice.

What I was referring to however is Putin's total failure as a leader. He and his cronies were presiding over Russan economy at the best possible time - peak oil prices, the likes of which had not been seen since the mid 1970s. They squandered literally trillions of dollars flowing into the country, with nothing of substance to show for it. We're not talking some backward tribal land with no industry and just one resource. We're talking about the biggest country on Earth, with great wealth of natural resources, with highly educated population, that was an unquestionable leader in space exploration just two generations ago and a superpower not that recently.

What did they do with all that money to build up the Russian economy ? Absolutely nothing. Putin only made sure that the pump was running. In the meantime, places like Dubai had completely reinvented themselves and sprang whole new sectors of economy from scratch. The Federal Republic of Germany had absorbed DDR - an enormous undertaking - and became an economic giant in the EU. I could go on and on and on.

Even if Russians love their dictators, why settle for a useless second-rate thief ?

Old 06-18-2016, 02:17 PM

4,752 posts, read 1,868,004 times
I don't look at it as if nothing was done. Russias Irkut dropped off the radar a long time ago and just recently came out with the MC-21.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...eing-or-airbus

Russia is now using the new Vostochne Cosmodrome in Siberia and Baikoneur is obsolete.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2016/04/2...red-a-success/

Not only that Russia and China are colluding to build even bigger aircraft for the worlds commercial market. 20 years from now Boeing and Airbus are not going to be top dogs anymore. I guarantee that.

The T-14 Armata was developed. It's far beyond what was expected by the west. Not to mention all of the other military qualitative advances Russia has made in just the last few years. You want to go into the Navy and airforce? The VDV?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-14_Armata

There's been improvements to the entire countries infrastructure, The bridge from Russke Island to the mainland in Vladivostok is finished and the bridge from Crimea across the Kerch Strait to the Kuban is going to be done in 2018. All kinds of improvements to the highway system and railroads.

Russia recently is pouring money into agriculture and separating itself from the unreliable west. Countries are hurting Germany France are really thinking of just dumping those sanctions all together. Disobeying the US.

Must I go on?

Is that empty post the best you can do?

Here in America it's going to hell. 1000s of homeless on the streets of Seattle and 10s of thousands along the west coast and maybe millions throughout the country. Nobody knows yet. We spend BILLIONS fighting terrorism and WE HAVEN'T GOTTEN ANYWHERE!!! Everything we've touched has just fallen apart taking trillions in treasure down the sewer pipe with it.

Do you really want to tell me Russias a mess? You have to be real ignorant to even believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events