Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:50 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times

Advertisements

If you thought the wait at self check out was bad, wait till the average booger eating moron is trying to remove pickles and and more secret sauce at one of these new kiosks

Old 05-16-2016, 04:59 AM

222 posts, read 185,674 times
After the $15 an hour goes through the only thing that will change is the job description. Less employees will be required to do more work and have more education. So yes it may still bean opportunity for that high school mode his majoring in engineering or math at the most local reputable high school.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:09 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Sheetz showed it is great to not deal with people when ordering. Others will follow and the CEOs will make more money. The stockholders will not make any more money, but the CEO's and his buddies will. Cut the labor down and then the CEO can buy a bigger yacht and another home in the mountains.
And this is one of the big problems in our world; preferring contact with machines to people.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:45 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
And this is one of the big problems in our world; preferring contact with machines to people.
Why? does it help you feel special? I DON'T NEED TO; say hi, hear about someone's problems, get an attitude, talk about my problems, smell someone's unbrushed mouth or smoker's breath. I go to the counter at the fast food place because its how I tell them what I want to eat.

You need to talk to someone, go get a psychologist. I just want a chicken sandwich.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:53 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Why? does it help you feel special? I DON'T NEED TO; say hi, hear about someone's problems, get an attitude, talk about my problems, smell someone's unbrushed mouth or smoker's breath. I go to the counter at the fast food place because its how I tell them what I want to eat.

You need to talk to someone, go get a psychologist. I just want a chicken sandwich.
True there isn't much small talk or any small talk at the fast food places in my city . Maybe it's different in smaller cities or towns though
Who I feel bad for are the small business owners in L.A and other places where they will be forced to pay $15 hour but likely won't be able to afford automation machines .
New people looking to start a business in these places with high minimum wage will also have to have more money to start because they'll have to price in the cost of the machines .

Most people that want to start a business aren't already rich despite public misconceptions .

Old 05-16-2016, 08:14 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:

Well, there will always be the group of socially inept / angry who prefer animals and machines to people, and that group should probably do everyone a favor and stay as far away from human contact as possible.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:08 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
its called technology, you really should try to get used to it. Its coming to a business near you..

agreed, they are quicker and correct more often.

I see grocery stores doing this sooner than later. Having the majority of your order, and the items you repeatedly buy stored on your phone, so that it can be ready for you later, probably the next day. I would always pick out my own fruit and meat, but I could definitely see a night crew, or even eventually a "fully automated store" with "overhead cranes" or conveyer style shelving that could load up your order without any interference to shoppers. Then on the reverse side, once they figure out how to load the shelves it will almost completely get rid of an entire crew, either allowing to save the wages and lights, or having no reason the store couldn't be open 24hrs, with only a minimal crew who could stock the shelves when it gets low with the push of a button. As soon as one chain starts it, I think MOST would feel the need to follow suit, while some will hold out for a long time retaining those customers who appreciate wages being payed.

Isn't all business about making profits?

burger flippers don't deal with people, & RUDE people aren't limited to fast food or a minimum wage job.

twenty years ago the minimum wage was under $5.00 an hour. $15 an hour exceeds inflation.

I like how you plucked out one little bit of information, then completely twisted it so you could contradict it.

Obviously you don't know a thing about me; and for the record, your ignorant assumption is completely wrong. I worked fast food when I was in high school too. I was never a tool, and if you are still holding a grudge about it, you should learn you will NEVER please everyone. There are always going to be insufferable haters who seek out problems.

About the 401k, reread the last paragraph, I think you are being one of them, because you DEFINATELY MISSED THAT POINT.

You think its the cost of the employers?? ITS BUSINESS, not everyone is going to make it, but the person who takes all the risk and puts up their savings should be living worse off than the... burger flipper???

Its amazing how you don't see the gray area of business, only the low level minimum wage worker, and the big bad evil CEO. How about all the other start-ups that teeter on the brink of bankruptcy for years until they can pick up a steady clientele.

yeah, because 1 person can cover 8 registers at once... Why do they need to have someone standing there helping me to buy a bag of 8 screws or a light bulb??
If people want living wages on it, and I hope that businesses forced to increase the minimum wage start doing; is to give them the pay they want by making more positions salaried. Salaried; burger flippers, fry cooks, drive thru personnel, etc... If you want to make a living at doing a minimal requirement job, then you need to be able to do it more often... If that's where their career plans are keeping them, then they should have plenty of time to not worry about advancing their careers. I would have no problem paying a fry cook a livable wage; but you're going to be doing that job for 70-80 hrs a week to earn it.

"Burger flippers" DO deal with people. How do you think the customer actually places their order?? The Wendy's closest to me has only 3 people working. One person on the drive-thru and two people cooking and taking orders/checkout.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:19 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,224 times
Quote:
its called technology, you really should try to get used to it. Its coming to a business near you..

I see grocery stores doing this sooner than later. Having the majority of your order, and the items you repeatedly buy stored on your phone, so that it can be ready for you later, probably the next day. I would always pick out my own fruit and meat, but I could definitely see a night crew, or even eventually a "fully automated store" with "overhead cranes" or conveyer style shelving that could load up your order without any interference to shoppers. Then on the reverse side, once they figure out how to load the shelves it will almost completely get rid of an entire crew, either allowing to save the wages and lights, or having no reason the store couldn't be open 24hrs, with only a minimal crew who could stock the shelves when it gets low with the push of a button. As soon as one chain starts it, I think MOST would feel the need to follow suit, while some will hold out for a long time retaining those customers who appreciate wages being payed.

We will have less supermarkets in the near future. Lots are filing for bankruptcy as we speak because of internet delivery services and generally too much competition and low margin.

Amazon Prime will put many supermarkets out of business in the next 5 years. They have already killed other bricks and mortars and basically killing Walmart. Malls are going out of biz as well, outside the large ones.

In NYC, they already have 1 hour delivery on many items you get at the supermarket. Jobs will be transfered to transport and delivery. This has happened via Uber and other delivery services. The demand is for drivers and transport. You'll see alot of cashiers move to that area, but it's a matter of time that drone delivery eliminates the need for humans there as well. Driverless delivery trucks coming as well. There will be dedicated lane for commercial transport with no human drivers.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:59 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
This is happening. Not because of minimum wage increases. There are self-checkouts, order interfaces at restaurants, ticket kiosks, etc. I mean, ATMs are basically the same thing. Automating has been creeping in since, well, the Industrial Age. It may be influenced by bottom-line costs, and wages are a part of that, but this is not happening because of a concern over minimum wage going up. If you think these kiosks wouldn't be under consideration if not for the threat of minimum wage going up, you need to check out the bridge I have up for sale...
At least ten, maybe 15 years ago a McDonald's in my area set up a separate area with several kiosks like this and kept them there for maybe a year before pulling them out. People were too dumb to use them and it was quicker for the overal service time to just have people at the registers.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:52 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
this is expected. no business in their right mind, wants to pay workers $15 a hour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events