Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:10 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Agreed. Here in Texas, people are generally (not always) friendly and polite. When I go for fast food, unless they are total jerks, which is rare, I am always nice to the person at the counter. They are usually nice back. I ask them "How are you?" And tell them "Please" and "Thank you." I don't order them around like they are sub-humans because they are not. Not only that, I don't for a minute assume that someone with a low paying job is unskilled or doesn't work as hard as someone who gets paid more. All it means is that they are low paid. Consider politicians and how overpaid those clowns are
You sound like a decent human being, so they probably enjoy their exchanges with you. I'm sure there are other customers they can't wait to get rid of.

I get being rushed at times, but there is no good reason why people can't be pleasant during a transaction with others.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:29 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
What is silly and socially inept is thinking that the cashier behind the counter WANTS to make small talk with you. They are working, (most likely for minimum wage), and doing it for a paycheck. They DON'T WANT to be their, the have to be their to make money. They are being cordial and polite because its required for their job. They have other things they would like to be doing too.
Couldn't the same be said for most people in most jobs though ?
It's definitely a lot higher for the lowest income earners . Which is not surprising , but even if someone makes $75,000 they are only 45 percent likely to be satisfied .

"About 64% of people earning more than $125,000 say they’re satisfied with their jobs, while just 24.4% with incomes under $15,000 said the same. In the middle ranks—those earning between $35,000 and $75,000—the figure hovers around 45%."

U.S. Workers Can’t Get No (Job) Satisfaction - At Work - WSJ

Old 05-20-2016, 08:46 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Kiosk technology is maturing and getting more reliable. Watch for more and more businesses to adopt them.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:23 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
What is silly and socially inept is thinking that the cashier behind the counter WANTS to make small talk with you. They are working, (most likely for minimum wage), and doing it for a paycheck. They DON'T WANT to be their, the have to be their to make money. They are being cordial and polite because its required for their job. They have other things they would like to be doing too.
There= a place
Their= possessive, as in "their money".

When you are lambasting low wage workers- it's probably a good idea to use better grammar than they do. Sorry that you had to say 'please" and "thank you" to the great unwashed fast food worker.

Kiosk keyboards are generally filthier than a toilet seat, BTW.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:38 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
There= a place
Their= possessive, as in "their money".

When you are lambasting low wage workers- it's probably a good idea to use better grammar than they do. Sorry that you had to say 'please" and "thank you" to the great unwashed fast food worker.

Kiosk keyboards are generally filthier than a toilet seat, BTW.
WOW, you certainly are bitter. I never said I had a problem with being polite or that I don't do it. There is a difference between politeness and small talk that's keeping them through doing their job. I wasn't belittling the employee one bit.. If anything I was bashing the ignorant customer.. Try reading that again, or was that too difficult with your dictionary going one word at a time, that you completely missed my point?

PS, please show me the evidence you have "that the kiosk is filthier than a toilet seat".

Old 05-21-2016, 05:08 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Do you really expect them to admit it's because it'll increase their profits? How lucky for the businesses that they'll have something to blame, knowing that the public will believe it without question or thought.
Oh stop! Businesses need profits to survive. That's probably an alien thought to the $15 per hour crowd who can't comprehend that when costs go up, such as minimum wage, profits must go up to cover the additional expense or the business goes broke. Can you wrap your brain around that simple, fundamental truth?

Old 05-21-2016, 05:31 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I agree $15/hr is steep for some jobs. But rent on a 1 bedroom apartment in L.A. county is also steep.
Something has got to give. I see a lot of campers parked around because it must be cheaper to rent/lease/finance one of those in the long run than pay rent on an apartment in L.A. County. It is so painfully expensive in CA. Theres homeless everywhere here because of over high rents.

What are some other solutions other than raise minimum wage?
Freeze rents for a time?
No tax or other paycheck deductions up to $14/hr?
County assistance for those who make under a certain wage?
How about liberalizing LA draconian zoning laws, so that it is possible to build apartments?

No, that just makes too much sense.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:22 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
How about liberalizing LA draconian zoning laws, so that it is possible to build apartments?

No, that just makes too much sense.
Why do you think people go to work? For money to go to the movies?

No. People go to work because they need money to pay rent because dwelling in an apartment or house is preferable than living on the streets or the beach.

Cost of living is outrageous in L.A. for no good reason. There is no good reason for such high property tax. No good reason for rents to be $1500 for a one bedroom apartment in a crime-ridden neighborhood no less. Just because quite a few wealthy entertainers live in L.A. does not mean everyone is rich and wealthy. If you cannot earn enough to pay for a roof over your head what's the point in expending energy going to work?

These fast food places deserve to go bankrupt. They serve crap food anyway.

The reason why government is pushing for a $15/hr minimum wage?... Because when someone makes more on their paycheck, more tax deductions come out of it. More money in the government's pockets. I hope no one was duped into thinking our "leaders" actually had the people's best interests at heart. They're thinking of their own purses.

Follow the money trail...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events