U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 08:21 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,762,671 times

Advertisements

I'm more amazed that AOL still exists

Old 05-14-2016, 09:11 PM

24,321 posts, read 13,801,620 times
Speaking of AOL, Steve Case was a real internet visionary and pioneer.
Real smart guy and seems pretty down to earth too.
I listened to this recent interview he did on James Altucher's podcast , it's really good
Ep. 164

Old 05-14-2016, 09:35 PM

18,115 posts, read 13,298,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
This is happening. Not because of minimum wage increases.
Obviously, you didn't read the article. Wendy's says it is precisely because of wage increases.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:29 PM

3,206 posts, read 1,650,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Obviously, you didn't read the article. Wendy's says it is precisely because of wage increases.

Do you really expect them to admit it's because it'll increase their profits? How lucky for the businesses that they'll have something to blame, knowing that the public will believe it without question or thought.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:32 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,813,011 times
If you think automated food service is a response to a rising minimum wage then are in fact a moron. To that end have ATM's completely replaced bank tellers????

Self check out at the grocery store has not replaced grocery clerks.

Automated food service was coming whether you lowered or raised minimum wage. It's just common sense.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:13 AM

692 posts, read 461,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Working at a fast food place is supposed to be an entry level job for a young person just getting into the work force. It is supposed to teach you responsibility and instill a work ethic. It is not supposed to be a career
People keep singing this tired same old song and dance from the 70's and 80's. Wake up Mcfly! It's not 1985 anymore! It's 2016. Way different economy we live in.

People who's jobs have been shipped overseas or down to Mexico have to work at fast food to support themselves.
People who are going to some kind of schooling to change career because theirs got outsourced or overtaken by foreigners need to support themselves.

Some people need to supplement their income with fast food jobs.

And yes, some people did not make the best career decisions early in life now need to support themselves with fast food jobs because the job market is shrinking.

Everyone who makes the effort to get to work on time and do the job they agreed to do deserves a living wage.
You people that keep saying "fast food isn't supposed to be a career" need to get with the times and get yourselves a heart and some empathy for your fellow Americans who are trying to honestly support themselves.

Last edited by Rkstar71; 05-15-2016 at 03:53 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 03:24 AM

A city or state can force a minimum wage law on business owners but you can't force them to operate in that area .
If businesses close due to massive wage hikes , yes 50% hike in 4 years like they are doing in L.A and elsewhere is massive . Also keep in mind wages will increase EVERY year until 2020 when it will reach $15hr..
What is better $10 an hour or Zero?
It's not about having heart and empathy and that's the core problem with this issue .
The Pro $15 crowd is well intentioned but very ill informed about how business works , how slim profit margins are .
There will no doubt be many business OWNERS that will be paying their employees about what they make as the owner will all the responsibility . Take a look at some small businesses for sale and see how little the net profit is on them .

Old 05-15-2016, 03:50 AM

692 posts, read 461,425 times
I agree $15/hr is steep for some jobs. But rent on a 1 bedroom apartment in L.A. county is also steep.
Something has got to give. I see a lot of campers parked around because it must be cheaper to rent/lease/finance one of those in the long run than pay rent on an apartment in L.A. County. It is so painfully expensive in CA. Theres homeless everywhere here because of over high rents.

What are some other solutions other than raise minimum wage?
Freeze rents for a time?
No tax or other paycheck deductions up to $14/hr?
County assistance for those who make under a certain wage?

We need someone who has the gonads to coerce some of these big corporations to set back up in the USA and employ Americans rather than employ foreigners for cheap while the top officers live high on the hog off of the backs of those who slave for them.

What is the point in going to work if none of the jobs pay enough to cover basic human necessities? I can see why some gave up looking for a job.

Last edited by Rkstar71; 05-15-2016 at 04:00 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 04:06 AM

599 posts, read 289,223 times
Many of us tried to warn those who support a nationwide $15.00 minimum wage but they just wouldn't listen. These corporations can handle it but small businesses such as mom & pop stores will be out of business with such a high wage in place.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:09 AM

L.A is an expensive city.
That being said, I don't think people have a 'right' to live in L.A and I don't think the taxpayers or business owners should have to subsidize people that choose to live in a painfully expensive area.

I agree with you that many aren't working if they have welfare benefits that pay more than they would make working, but it's not right to place the burden on businesses.
Cost of labor should be based on the market demand for that labor , not an arbitrary and artificial amount of money like $15hr dreamt up by special interests like unions and politicians that have no experience running a business.

The same unions are not wanting to get out of paying $15hr themselves...a little hypocritical right? Actually very hypocritical!

Blog: Union hypocrisy on $15 minimum wage: Asks exemption for employers who unionize

Do as I say, not as I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.