U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 05:26 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,540,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
People keep singing this tired same old song and dance from the 70's and 80's. Wake up Mcfly! It's not 1985 anymore! It's 2016. Way different economy we live in.

People who's jobs have been shipped overseas or down to Mexico have to work at fast food to support themselves.
People who are going to some kind of schooling to change career because theirs got outsourced or overtaken by foreigners need to support themselves.

Some people need to supplement their income with fast food jobs.

And yes, some people did not make the best career decisions early in life now need to support themselves with fast food jobs because the job market is shrinking.

Everyone who makes the effort to get to work on time and do the job they agreed to do deserves a living wage.
You people that keep saying "fast food isn't supposed to be a career" need to get with the times and get yourselves a heart and some empathy for your fellow Americans who are trying to honestly support themselves.
Sorry serving a burger and fries is not nor should it be a $15 an hour job. I walked into McDonalds today and they had a kiosk there for building your own burger. So eventually some workers will get $15 an hour however instead of 10 people working there now you will have 7 or 8. Again working in a fast food place should be a job for a kid. Sorry working at McDonalds should not be a living lol.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:32 PM

1,278 posts, read 834,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
When I was 15 I was working at McDonalds for minimum wage. Working at a fast food place is supposed to be an entry level job for a young person just getting into the work force. It is supposed to teach you responsibility and instill a work ethic. It is not supposed to be a career unless you get into management. So now they will go with kiosks and eventually that will cost thousands of jobs throughout this country. Then McDonalds and BK's will do the same thing. Thousands upon thousands entry level jobs will be gone.
This is a natural progression. Like we don't have a warehouse of 1200 women sewing jeans anymore either. It's a big wake up call to Americans.. saying, "Get EDUCATED". We need to compete with the world.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:34 PM

1,278 posts, read 834,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Speaking of AOL, Steve Case was a real internet visionary and pioneer.
Real smart guy and seems pretty down to earth too.
I listened to this recent interview he did on James Altucher's podcast , it's really good
Ep. 164
If you think about the community that was AOL, it was basically social media that was ahead of it's time. It offered pretty much everything Facebook does today minus the photo sharing. It had trending news, groups, discussions, pvt messaging, friends, etc.. It just got stale as does all technology. Now, Apple is losing appeal by the populace, and so will Facebook too one day.

Technology is very fickle.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:53 PM
gg

17,012 posts, read 17,224,915 times
Sheetz showed it is great to not deal with people when ordering. Others will follow and the CEOs will make more money. The stockholders will not make any more money, but the CEO's and his buddies will. Cut the labor down and then the CEO can buy a bigger yacht and another home in the mountains.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:42 PM

15,065 posts, read 8,597,648 times
Good lord, last thing we need are kiosks to replace most or all workers one day.

Christ, many people are soooo slow in ordering as it is with people helping them.

How often have we been stuck for a long time behind someone that can't make up their mind in the drive thru, or ordering for 20 people.

No doubt it'll also serve as a form of 'power' to some to deliberately take their sweet time ordering from the kiosk, just because it makes them feel good that they can make people behind them miserable and upset.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:53 AM

24,268 posts, read 13,751,856 times
True it could be an issue . Depends how many kiosks they have too . I guess overtime people will just get used to it . I'm sure when ATMs first came out people were hesitant to use them too .
I really think mobile ordering is going to increase a lot too . Just order on your phone and have the food ready by the time you get there . That's the direction things seem to be going

Old 05-16-2016, 01:15 AM

10,202 posts, read 5,746,600 times
Quote:
When I was 15 I was working at McDonalds for minimum wage. Working at a fast food place is supposed to be an entry level job for a young person just getting into the work force. It is supposed to teach you responsibility and instill a work ethic. It is not supposed to be a career unless you get into management. So now they will go with kiosks and eventually that will cost thousands of jobs throughout this country. Then McDonalds and BK's will do the same thing. Thousands upon thousands entry level jobs will be gone.
Exactly. My son's first real job was part-time at Arby's at 16. After a year or so, they made him shift supervisor. I remember him complaining about the work ethic of kids who were a year or two younger than him... I still giggle about that. He went to school, got his diploma, bought his first condo a week before graduation as he had a firm and good job offer, so he never rented.

Now he is on his third house, his wife doesn't work and is a stay at home mom (she would make more than him in her profession), their only debt is the mortgage, and they have a late model car, a late model truck, a larger trailer to use with the truck and a classic car in the garage.

He is 35 now. He never complained about the minimum wage job; he was happy to get it. I remember when he was about 23 or so and him telling me how mad he was at me for not buying him a car at 16 like all the other kids got, and then saying that now he understood. When he bought his first car at 18 (savings from that Arby's job), it was HIS car, and he was proud that he didn't suck of his old man. He told me that he understood why, and that he was glad, in retrospect, of the lessons he learned.

Of course, I'm sure there are lots of whiners who will say he was and is privileged. No, we were at best a middle class family, with lots of financial struggles. Me and my ex did a great job raising our kids, and they are instilling similar values in my grandkids. Society has lost most of that.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:20 AM

9,130 posts, read 3,737,021 times
Quote:
so why do people try to make it into a career? the people who push for $15 minimum wage want to be minimum wage career. So I'm glad the kiosks are weeding them out. once they get their "$15", they have no desire to go higher.

just like any other "career", technology forces change, they choose their careers in low skilled jobs, and didn't learn more. They became obsolete as a result.

how is it different than any other career? a computer programmer who didn't stay current wouldn't stay employed either. or a job that was physical, if they didn't keep their body in a healthy state, they would lose job or injury themselves

other than that, minimum wage jobs do still function as a place young people can get into the work force, learn responsibility and work ethic

Old 05-16-2016, 04:39 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,184,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The Kiosks are coming regardless of the minimum wage increase. In Capitalism it's all about profit. Embrace the profits. Screw the people.

If you don't like the idea of Kiosks, don't spend your money in one. Force Wendy's to either go under or bring back the human workers. It's really that simple. If everyone stuck together...
its called technology, you really should try to get used to it. Its coming to a business near you..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
The last few times I've been to Wendy's I'm of the opinion that the machines would do a much better job..
agreed, they are quicker and correct more often.

Quote:
I don't mind ordering on a Kiosk. I could see it being an issue for some older customers that might not use technology much, but I guess they will eventually adapt over time.
I'm guessing they will make them more and more user friendly.
Mobile ordering is going to be a growing thing too and it's pretty convienient. Order on your phone and the food is ready by the time you get there. No waiting in line to place order, waiting for food to be done,etc.

I know right now some places have a centralized place where phone orders are placed, perhaps in cheaper cities or countries even.
More automation, more outsourcing, less jobs for low skill employees.
Not what pro $15 crowd wanted, but it's what they will get..
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
If you think automated food service is a response to a rising minimum wage then are in fact a moron. To that end have ATM's completely replaced bank tellers????

Self check out at the grocery store has not replaced grocery clerks.

Automated food service was coming whether you lowered or raised minimum wage. It's just common sense.
Quote:
True it could be an issue . Depends how many kiosks they have too . I guess overtime people will just get used to it . I'm sure when ATMs first came out people were hesitant to use them too .
I really think mobile ordering is going to increase a lot too . Just order on your phone and have the food ready by the time you get there . That's the direction things seem to be going
I see grocery stores doing this sooner than later. Having the majority of your order, and the items you repeatedly buy stored on your phone, so that it can be ready for you later, probably the next day. I would always pick out my own fruit and meat, but I could definitely see a night crew, or even eventually a "fully automated store" with "overhead cranes" or conveyer style shelving that could load up your order without any interference to shoppers. Then on the reverse side, once they figure out how to load the shelves it will almost completely get rid of an entire crew, either allowing to save the wages and lights, or having no reason the store couldn't be open 24hrs, with only a minimal crew who could stock the shelves when it gets low with the push of a button. As soon as one chain starts it, I think MOST would feel the need to follow suit, while some will hold out for a long time retaining those customers who appreciate wages being payed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Do you really expect them to admit it's because it'll increase their profits? How lucky for the businesses that they'll have something to blame, knowing that the public will believe it without question or thought.
Isn't all business about making profits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The difficulty in the work is dealing with RUDE people.
burger flippers don't deal with people, & RUDE people aren't limited to fast food or a minimum wage job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
This has nothing to do with the minimum wage, it would have happened anyway in time. Companies only care about what the accounting spreadsheets say.
The minimum wage has barely gone up at all in 20 years, but the cost of everything has. What's their excuse??

They will install these kiosks...and STILL raise their prices.

These kiosks are cheap now compared to 10 years ago as touch screen technology has evolved. 20 years ago it would have been very very expensive to install touch screen kiosks, and maybe not even possible.

twenty years ago the minimum wage was under $5.00 an hour. $15 an hour exceeds inflation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, there is one down thing about the automated locks.

When my brother lived in this apartment or that, I would occasionally visit him. At one place, it was an automated gate system and rather easy to bypass that to get to his front door. But then he was in an apartment building with a counter by the elevators and two nicely dressed men who decided who got in......or not!

Automation is cheaper but not necessarily more secure.
I like how you plucked out one little bit of information, then completely twisted it so you could contradict it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Obviously you never worked a fast food gig. I work for a multinational company and am well compensated, but my first gig was at Jack In The Box when I was sixteen. One of the hardest jobs I ever had. Do people spit at you at your job?

Also, do you know anything about a 401k? Do you know that employers don't have to match funds? This is what makes a 401k a ripoff. You are forced into investments from your savings that pay into whatever fund is kicking back to whoever is in charge. I prefer an IRA.

Would you prefer that our burger flippers ( not everyone grows up to be a scientist ) steal to supplement their retirement?
Obviously you don't know a thing about me; and for the record, your ignorant assumption is completely wrong. I worked fast food when I was in high school too. I was never a tool, and if you are still holding a grudge about it, you should learn you will NEVER please everyone. There are always going to be insufferable haters who seek out problems.

About the 401k, reread the last paragraph, I think you are being one of them, because you DEFINATELY MISSED THAT POINT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I just love the "these losers should get jobs instead of stealing my taxes" and "these aren't jobs you're supposed be able to live on" arguments. Try thinking that through from beginning to end...

But this is the place technology is leading, and is about maximizing profits. It's so convenient to blame living wages. As far as a small business goes, I sympathize. I do. But if a business cannot survive while paying a living wage, I have to question the ultimate health of that business. If we cannot sustain the cost of the work happening, is that the fault of the employees?
You think its the cost of the employers?? ITS BUSINESS, not everyone is going to make it, but the person who takes all the risk and puts up their savings should be living worse off than the... burger flipper???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I think it's amazing that corporate America has been able to brainwash us into thinking $15.00 is a lot of money. Remember that the difference between the United States and third world counties has been what we will pay someone who is willing to work for their living. When having babies to qualify for welfare and food stamps are a better financial solution than working for the prevailing minimum wage, something needs to change.

We have no problem with the CEO's and board members of these companies paying themselves THOUSANDS of dollars per hour and hiding much of it off shore to avoid taxes. We are complaining about paying low level workers what the minimum wage, adjusted for the cost of living, should rightfully be in the first place, having been held down for a decade while the cost of basic necessities has soared.
Its amazing how you don't see the gray area of business, only the low level minimum wage worker, and the big bad evil CEO. How about all the other start-ups that teeter on the brink of bankruptcy for years until they can pick up a steady clientele.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Really...Home Depot used to have 10+ cashier windows open at a time. Head over there today and maybe 2 cashiers open and the rest are self serve.
yeah, because 1 person can cover 8 registers at once... Why do they need to have someone standing there helping me to buy a bag of 8 screws or a light bulb??
If people want living wages on it, and I hope that businesses forced to increase the minimum wage start doing; is to give them the pay they want by making more positions salaried. Salaried; burger flippers, fry cooks, drive thru personnel, etc... If you want to make a living at doing a minimal requirement job, then you need to be able to do it more often... If that's where their career plans are keeping them, then they should have plenty of time to not worry about advancing their careers. I would have no problem paying a fry cook a livable wage; but you're going to be doing that job for 70-80 hrs a week to earn it.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:47 AM

4,903 posts, read 2,778,855 times
Quote:

In my area read that as Senior Citizen jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events