Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 10:41 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times

Advertisements

A former teacher who laced her two young children's grape juice with windshield wiper fluid, then drowned them in a bathtub promised on Tuesday to raise awareness of postpartum depression before a judge sentenced her to eight years in prison.

Dressed in an all-white suit, her hands cuffed behind her back, Lisette Bamenga spoke quietly to Judge Martin Marcus, who found her guilty in April of manslaughter in the July 2012 deaths of 4-month-old Violet and 4-year-old Trevor. She had been charged with murder, but her attorney argued she suffered from crippling undiagnosed postpartum psychosis. The judge agreed she suffered from an emotional disturbance severe enough to knock down the charges.

Anyone else think she got off easy?

Mom Who Poisoned, Then Drowned 2 Kids Gets 8 Years in Prison - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 10:56 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
He's following the lead of the Andrea Yates case.
Yes, I think she got off easy. I don't believe in the death penalty, but I sure would have given her more time for taking two children's lives.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:00 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes, I think she got off easy. I don't believe in the death penalty, but I sure would have given her more time for taking two children's lives.
Ditto, considerably longer sentence.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:04 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Far too easy.... and to think on another thread someone wants poachers executed..

Old 05-18-2016, 11:27 AM

36,520 posts, read 30,847,571 times
It depends on which story is the truth. Was she suffering a from psychosis and not in her right mind or was it an intentional rage of jealousy? The court ruled it manslaughter not murder. And she got 16 years, eight for each count. Sixteen years in prison for manslaughter with extenuating circumstances ( postpartum psychosis), meh.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:56 AM

1,166 posts, read 755,059 times
She killed two children and will do less time in prison than a person caught selling a few grams of weed. Our criminal justice system is broken and can no longer be trusted.

She got 8 years on each count, but they will be served concurrently. With time off for good behavior, she could be walking free in about 4 years. 4 years for killing two kids is not even close to justice.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:58 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
I think its 16 years total, 8 for each. I've heard of lesser sentences for equally awful things. And I have heard of worse for less. Not surprised anymore.

If she was suffering from postpartum, I can't see how she will ever forgive herself. In prison, out of prison, I doubt she'll have a great life. I would have to be locked up if I found out I killed my own kids. Very sad for both families involved.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I think its 16 years total, 8 for each. I've heard of lesser sentences for equally awful things. And I have heard of worse for less. Not surprised anymore.

If she was suffering from postpartum, I can't see how she will ever forgive herself. In prison, out of prison, I doubt she'll have a great life. I would have to be locked up if I found out I killed my own kids. Very sad for both families involved.

The sentences run concurrently, in reality she will only serve about 4 years. 4 years in prison for murdering two children is a sick joke. If there is a God, this woman will not make it out of prison alive.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:19 PM

36,520 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
The sentences run concurrently, in reality she will only serve about 4 years. 4 years in prison for murdering two children is a sick joke. If there is a God, this woman will not make it out of prison alive.
Prisoners only do 25% of their sentence? I thought it was more like 1/2.
The charge was manslaughter not murder.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Prisoners only do 25% of their sentence? I thought it was more like 1/2.
The charge was manslaughter not murder.

Did you miss the concurrent part? Two eight year sentences served concurrently equals eight years, 50% of eight is 4 years. You can call it whatever you want, when a person intentionally kills people that is murder and some BS about being depressed should not be a valid excuse. I only hope that someone in prison hands out the appropriate punishment for killing two kids in cold blood. If I was the father, she would already be taking a long dirt nap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events