Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 07:00 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,723,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I don't see how any job at Wendy's could be difficult, (closest being management), but its just busy work. Its not hard to give change out of that $20, or; bun, meat, cheese, ketchup, bun.

It makes perfect sense to take out the slower parts of fast food, (dealing with the customers). These employees want more money, than they need to do more, and be more efficient at doing it.

Let them pick fruit.

Personally they need to do what the military does; If you cant advance in a certain number of years, then you're gone. If you can't make shift manager in ten years; you're not trying and happy with being stagnant, or you don't have the ability to do it, and theres thousands of other kids who can do the same job and will probably eventually progress farther. Burger flipper shouldn't even be offered a 401k.

The difficulty in the work is dealing with RUDE people.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:02 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,110,898 times
C'mon people, corporations will implement every cost saving measure as soon as the technology is available and public acceptance of it can be achieved. $15 per hour minimum wage or not. Corporations are not in the business of keeping minimum wage people employed . . . they only care about profits; that's the law (state corporate law). Consumers love self-ordering and self-checkouts because we don't want to interact with incompetent, lazy, rude humans.

Corporations are using the minimum wage fight as an excuse to implement technologies that they would have anyway . . . but they now have a cover. And in the meantime, they fuel these "jobs will be eliminated" fears to quell the minimum wage movement.

I don't agree with a flat nationwide minimum wage at that high level, just for the record.

Mick

Old 05-15-2016, 07:40 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Obviously, you didn't read the article. Wendy's says it is precisely because of wage increases.
Wendy's says that, but they're just parroting the old "our expenses our up, so the solution is to cut staff" party line that all companies do. Consider Amazon. They raised the cost of their Prime subscription rates, enacted the bogus Add-On Item program, introduced Prime Pantry, and they are still shipping tiny items in huge boxes separately from other items in an order. Not only that Prime customers are still paying for shipping because they don't get their items cheaper than via 3rd party sellers when they pay for shipping separately. And their lame explanation is "It's cost prohibitive to ship these items unless you buy $X amount of other stuff." Pffft. It's all about the almighty $$$, and none of the dollars saved will benefit the customer.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:46 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times
This has nothing to do with the minimum wage, it would have happened anyway in time. Companies only care about what the accounting spreadsheets say.
The minimum wage has barely gone up at all in 20 years, but the cost of everything has. What's their excuse??

They will install these kiosks...and STILL raise their prices.

These kiosks are cheap now compared to 10 years ago as touch screen technology has evolved. 20 years ago it would have been very very expensive to install touch screen kiosks, and maybe not even possible.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:56 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
but most of the people at minimum wages dont deserve 15 dollars a hour, hey can barely do their job at minimum wage.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:00 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
A city or state can force a minimum wage law on business owners but you can't force them to operate in that area .
If businesses close due to massive wage hikes , yes 50% hike in 4 years like they are doing in L.A and elsewhere is massive . Also keep in mind wages will increase EVERY year until 2020 when it will reach $15hr..
What is better $10 an hour or Zero?
It's not about having heart and empathy and that's the core problem with this issue .
The Pro $15 crowd is well intentioned but very ill informed about how business works , how slim profit margins are .
There will no doubt be many business OWNERS that will be paying their employees about what they make as the owner will all the responsibility . Take a look at some small businesses for sale and see how little the net profit is on them .
Too bad... slim profit margins? Deal with it. No one feels sorry for corporate America. Everyone knows the restaurant business is tough, there's a lot of competition.

Let me bring up the income gap subject again. It's the worst in the history of the country.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:00 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
So, do you believe that if the minimum wage does not go up, they will NOT start using ordering kiosks? I am curious, because I'm already seeing this technology used EVERYWHERE--toll booths, ATMs, self-checkouts, automated locks, automated phone systems, & more--and it's been used for a very, very long time. Do you think that if the minimum wage does not go up, these jobs are somehow protected?

Well, there is one down thing about the automated locks.

When my brother lived in this apartment or that, I would occasionally visit him. At one place, it was an automated gate system and rather easy to bypass that to get to his front door. But then he was in an apartment building with a counter by the elevators and two nicely dressed men who decided who got in......or not!

Automation is cheaper but not necessarily more secure.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:17 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
It takes forever for large corporations to work on something like this, so it's nothing that was just decided based on minimum wages.

What we will probably see due to an increase in the minimum wage is the raising of expectations on the part of hiring employers. They want to get what they're paying for. So those who argued for this may find it more difficult to get these jobs over time.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:51 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,394 times
i can't wait for the automated politicians without left or right agendas

Old 05-15-2016, 09:03 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I don't see how any job at Wendy's could be difficult, (closest being management), but its just busy work. Its not hard to give change out of that $20, or; bun, meat, cheese, ketchup, bun.

It makes perfect sense to take out the slower parts of fast food, (dealing with the customers). These employees want more money, than they need to do more, and be more efficient at doing it.

Let them pick fruit.

Personally they need to do what the military does; If you cant advance in a certain number of years, then you're gone. If you can't make shift manager in ten years; you're not trying and happy with being stagnant, or you don't have the ability to do it, and theres thousands of other kids who can do the same job and will probably eventually progress farther. Burger flipper shouldn't even be offered a 401k.
Obviously you never worked a fast food gig. I work for a multinational company and am well compensated, but my first gig was at Jack In The Box when I was sixteen. One of the hardest jobs I ever had. Do people spit at you at your job?

Also, do you know anything about a 401k? Do you know that employers don't have to match funds? This is what makes a 401k a ripoff. You are forced into investments from your savings that pay into whatever fund is kicking back to whoever is in charge. I prefer an IRA.

Would you prefer that our burger flippers ( not everyone grows up to be a scientist ) steal to supplement their retirement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.