Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:06 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times

Advertisements

Here's one response to minimum-wage concerns:
Wendy's response to minimum wage hike: Replace staff with machines - AOL

Old 05-14-2016, 08:44 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
This is happening. Not because of minimum wage increases. There are self-checkouts, order interfaces at restaurants, ticket kiosks, etc. I mean, ATMs are basically the same thing. Automating has been creeping in since, well, the Industrial Age. It may be influenced by bottom-line costs, and wages are a part of that, but this is not happening because of a concern over minimum wage going up. If you think these kiosks wouldn't be under consideration if not for the threat of minimum wage going up, you need to check out the bridge I have up for sale...

Old 05-14-2016, 08:57 AM

5,860 posts, read 3,298,444 times
When I was 15 I was working at McDonalds for minimum wage. Working at a fast food place is supposed to be an entry level job for a young person just getting into the work force. It is supposed to teach you responsibility and instill a work ethic. It is not supposed to be a career unless you get into management. So now they will go with kiosks and eventually that will cost thousands of jobs throughout this country. Then McDonalds and BK's will do the same thing. Thousands upon thousands entry level jobs will be gone.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:47 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
When I was 15 I was working at McDonalds for minimum wage. Working at a fast food place is supposed to be an entry level job for a young person just getting into the work force. It is supposed to teach you responsibility and instill a work ethic. It is not supposed to be a career unless you get into management. So now they will go with kiosks and eventually that will cost thousands of jobs throughout this country. Then McDonalds and BK's will do the same thing. Thousands upon thousands entry level jobs will be gone.
So, do you believe that if the minimum wage does not go up, they will NOT start using ordering kiosks? I am curious, because I'm already seeing this technology used EVERYWHERE--toll booths, ATMs, self-checkouts, automated locks, automated phone systems, & more--and it's been used for a very, very long time. Do you think that if the minimum wage does not go up, these jobs are somehow protected?

Old 05-14-2016, 10:50 AM

11,784 posts, read 5,795,007 times
No job is protected from technology advances - but many businesses are implementing newer technology earlier than they would due to the changes with the minimum wage. Many of these fast food businesses are franchised and are not owned by McDonalds, Wendy's ect. The profit margin for many is 1% - so it's not like their rolling in dough.

I have a friend who owns 2 McDonalds and has for some time. She's doing well as she's had these businesses for over 20 yrs. We talked about this very thing and she said even newer franchise owners, who have paid oodles for a franchise and are in debt will implement these changes sooner rather than later, when they finally start realizing a profit, because with the rising wages - it's more advantageous to go into even deeper debt now as it will be cheaper for them in the long run.

It's sad because not only will more adults lose their jobs - but many kids won't be hired for a real job until they graduate with a degree / certificate from college or a trade school.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:20 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
They've been using them for a long time in the drive-thru section of the restaurants. They have to have more people use electronic payment methods in order to make a big dent. Many of the places have almost all of the employees performing food preparation. The people who deliver the order to the customer are the same people who have to be entrusted to handle money. Not everyone making an egg muffin or a burrito can be trusted to make the right change or not steal.

Quote:
In addition to self-order kiosks, the company is also getting ready to move beyond the testing phase with labor-saving mobile ordering and mobile payment available systemwide by the end of the year. Yum Brands and McDonald’s already have mobile ordering apps.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:17 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
its called evolution.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Everything old is new again.

The Automat Vending Machines New York City Steve Stollman Horn and Hardart Drazan Lapic

Lots of things are dispensed by machines and lots of machines continually take the place of people. There was an outcry when computers replaced numbers of office workers and eliminated jobs back in the 70's but it didn't stop anything. Before that, I'm sure typewriters and adding machines were thought of as those terrible devices that replaced clerks who wrote and added everything by hand.

These things are always going to be happening. It's just new to some people but par for the course for others.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:36 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
This is happening. Not because of minimum wage increases. There are self-checkouts, order interfaces at restaurants, ticket kiosks, etc. I mean, ATMs are basically the same thing. Automating has been creeping in since, well, the Industrial Age. It may be influenced by bottom-line costs, and wages are a part of that, but this is not happening because of a concern over minimum wage going up. If you think these kiosks wouldn't be under consideration if not for the threat of minimum wage going up, you need to check out the bridge I have up for sale...
Wendy's has stated that minimum wage is a factor, but not for the reasons you would think.
They have said that minimum wage increases have brought up the wages on less difficult jobs, making it much harder for them to retain trained employees. As a result, they had to cut back on the number of positions that require more skill, like cashiers, and replace them with automation.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:37 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
3 plus years ago in Barcelona they had automated kiosk at mcd for ordering and payment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events