U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 06:09 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,500,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22
sterilize and flush her down a toilet. that poor kid is probably brain damaged because of what she did.
Makes me cry just thinking about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 06:33 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,779,453 times
And yet countless happily married couples remain infertile. Who said life is fair?!

Old 05-14-2016, 07:34 PM

16,807 posts, read 9,510,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
Back in the day mothers would flush new born kittens down the toilet to get rid of them...If you did that today you would be surrounded by a swat team in seconds and taken of to jail to serve out a life term....BUT today....young woman are taught that a fetus is just a glob of cells and not a real or even a potential person....so it is not much of a stretch for this young mother to look at what she did as a full term abortion. So whats the big deal? The mother is a pin head and so are the mentors that convinced her early on that human life is worthless.
You pushed that idea in a previous post, got no response so gave it another shot? Really?

You have no way of knowing if this dumbo had ANY mentoring at all. You also cannot make a claim that prebirth fetus is considered a blob by anyone at all, regardless of abortion laws or not.

You're just throwing together the talking points of the zealots and firing them off in salvos hoping you'll hit something.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:39 PM

16,807 posts, read 9,510,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
She CLAIMS she thought the baby was dead. Even if she's telling the truth, who would think disposing of a newborn in the trash or down a toilet is a good way to deal with a dead body? We bury the dead or cremate them. We have ceremonies, even the smallest ones, and tell loved ones about those who have died. We don't say, "oh she's dead okay time to throw her in the trash and pretend none of this even happened" or try to dispose of her slyly in some other way. Come on.

She was trying to hide the baby and thus the pregnancy. She wanted to pretend it never happened. Unfortunately this is frequently the case in situations like this. And it wouldn't be the first time a young mother claimed the baby she hid for the whole pregnancy was "dead" at birth after she tried to dispose of it, and was proven wrong or otherwise proven to have lied.

Oh, not to mention, this all happened in a HOSPITAL. Medical professionals who can try to get a baby breathing with special equipment and everything are everywhere. I don't buy her BS story. She's cold-hearted.
Or has been abused by a close relative and is borderline retarded among a few other issues she could be dealing with not mentioned in the news article.

There will be more about this to come I suspect.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:36 PM

2,739 posts, read 4,080,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoznots View Post
Woman tried to flush newborn down hospital toilet, left baby in trash, police say | WPXI

Now I am not an expert on pregnancy but I have heard quite a few of these stories where the woman says she didn't know she was pregnant. How could a woman not know? I thought she wouldn't have a period if she were pregnant?
Yeah right. Like she didn't know. So she flushed it. That didn't work so she wrapped it up and threw it in the trash. she just didn't want the baby and tried to kill it.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:33 AM

11,759 posts, read 5,221,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
Well what do you expect from a society that programs woman and men to think that a conceived child is just a blob.?
Here we go. If she felt that way, she would have gotten an abortion . . . .. if she knew that she was expecting. She's a nice devout God fearing girl, no doubt.

Mick

Old 05-15-2016, 07:35 AM

11,759 posts, read 5,221,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
And yet countless happily married couples remain infertile. Who said life is fair?!
Lord works in mysterious ways. It's not easy charting the lives of all 7 billion people on a minute by minute basis, but he does it somehow.

Mick

Old 05-15-2016, 09:46 AM

13,488 posts, read 9,632,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
She CLAIMS she thought the baby was dead. Even if she's telling the truth, who would think disposing of a newborn in the trash or down a toilet is a good way to deal with a dead body? We bury the dead or cremate them. We have ceremonies, even the smallest ones, and tell loved ones about those who have died. We don't say, "oh she's dead okay time to throw her in the trash and pretend none of this even happened" or try to dispose of her slyly in some other way. Come on.

She was trying to hide the baby and thus the pregnancy. She wanted to pretend it never happened. Unfortunately this is frequently the case in situations like this. And it wouldn't be the first time a young mother claimed the baby she hid for the whole pregnancy was "dead" at birth after she tried to dispose of it, and was proven wrong or otherwise proven to have lied.

Oh, not to mention, this all happened in a HOSPITAL. Medical professionals who can try to get a baby breathing with special equipment and everything are everywhere. I don't buy her BS story. She's cold-hearted.
I'm going to address this with my admittedly poor knowledge of what happened.

First of all, stillborns are almost never buried or given a ceremony. Let's get that religious part out of the discussion right away.

Second, even if she suspected she was pregnant, she may have been too terrified and / or ashamed to go to anyone. We also don't know her IQ.

We recently had a very uneducated and very overweight young woman almost die in one of our ERs because she came in complaining of abdominal pains and no one-not even the nurses at intake thought she might actually be in labor. It does happen.

I'm not advocating what she did. I'm saying that there may have been extenuating circumstances. Let's hope things work out both for the wee one and the foolish young woman.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:10 AM

11,916 posts, read 9,655,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I'm going to address this with my admittedly poor knowledge of what happened.

First of all, stillborns are almost never buried or given a ceremony. Let's get that religious part out of the discussion right away.

Second, even if she suspected she was pregnant, she may have been too terrified and / or ashamed to go to anyone. We also don't know her IQ.

We recently had a very uneducated and very overweight young woman almost die in one of our ERs because she came in complaining of abdominal pains and no one-not even the nurses at intake thought she might actually be in labor. It does happen.

I'm not advocating what she did. I'm saying that there may have been extenuating circumstances. Let's hope things work out both for the wee one and the foolish young woman.
First of all, stillborns may not get a funeral or anything but they also don't just tossed or in the trash or flushed down a toilet, with no one even knowing about their birth. Especially a birth that occurred in a hospital.

Second, I never mentioned anything about religion; burials, cremations, and ceremonies don't have to be religious. I actually have a friend whose family is atheist and cremated their loved one, but is having a remembrance ceremony today for family and friends. No religion involved, and the person is still given a respectable ceremony. In our culture, you don't just throw a dead body away or flush it down a toilet without telling anyone, even if it's a full term baby. Her actions suggest she was trying to hide what happened. She attempted to flush a baby she thought was dead, and when it didn't work she put the baby inside a pillowcase and threw him or her in the garbage. Then she left the hospital without telling anyone what had happened. She left a baby in the trash. A baby who was actually alive and found by nurses. Let's get this straight - the baby is not actually dead. She or he was not stillborn. And even if she or he was, what kind of mother who delivers in a hospital thinks throwing away a potentially dead baby is a good idea?

Not only did she throw the baby away, but the mother also cleaned the bathroom, likely to hide the fact that a birth took place. So she has the thought to clean up, but not report the fact that she had given birth to a baby? In a hospital? What about getting a post-birth exam? Even if the baby really was dead and her story is true, who wouldn't want to get looked at afterwards? She was hiding what she had done, it's quite obvious. Read this article, it gives much more info than the one the OP linked. Police: Woman left baby in university hospital trash

Perhaps there were extenuating circumstances but until those come out, I will not excuse her, nor do I believe her story.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:24 AM

51,439 posts, read 50,689,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Really? Can you prove that? Can you site even one case where someone was sentenced to life in prison for killing an animal?

Waiting............

BTW, if the infant wasn't crying, why wouldn't she think it was dead? She was a terrified young girl, not a trained medical professional with a stethoscope hanging around her neck.

Again, she thought it was dead, so how can you assume something like this and judge not only her, but the people who raised her?

If it was up to me, she would get counseling and wouldn't spend even one day in jail.
I think lack of knowledge plays a part. A young couple in my area some years ago delivered their own baby and then let it die. The said they thought it was deformed and something was wrong with it. Kids see the Gerber baby on a box and think that's what a newborn looks like when in reality it's sorta like a Cornish game hen with a wrinkly human head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or